Your Momma
Your Momma
  • Hometalk Helper
  • San Diego, CA

Another Lighthouse

We've seen this project before, but I thought I'd try my hand at it since I had these pots that were in rough shape. If it didn't work out, no problem because I was getting rid of them anyway!
another lighthouse, crafts, repurposing upcycling
Here they are, pretty gross and somewhat crumbly, except for the small one. I scraped and scrubbed the two larger ones to get the chipping stuff off. Washed them well and let them dry completely.
I spray painted them using Rustoleum's Antique White.
Living close to the beach, I've got a nautical theme going, and I absolutely love "ocean" colors like navy blue and teal. So I added stripes in those colors.
I have this lantern that has been waiting to be used somehow. It was dirty and rusty, so I washed it first.
I painted it navy blue and added a tea light candle. The place that I was going to place my lighthouse doesn't get much direct light, so I opted for a battery operated tea light instead of a solar powered light.
I painted on some windows and a door and set it by my front door. By the way, I used a weatherproof adhesive to attach the lantern so it wouldn't be knocked off. I think it turned out great and really goes with my nautical theme!

• Judy Miller

Do the pots just sit on each other.

• Robyn Garner
      30 minutes ago

Because clay pots are porous, you need to properly prime them to have paint stay put. Make a wash of paint and water - hardly any paint at all. The point is to have all the tiny openings in clay be primed and partially filled with paint for a smoother finish.

Before you even begin, spray the pot you're working on with water. Have a spritz bottle with your supplies as you work. Apply the wash in a single coat to damp clay. If it's drying out, give it a spritz! Don't forget to do around and under the edges and any holes in the bottom of the pot. Do a second prime if you feel it's needed.

Now paint as you desire. Acrylic paint is actually the best to use for this as you'll have a zillion colors available in small size bottles. You can also use any latex paint, preferably in a matte finish. Your final sheen will come from the sealer you use. To keep the paint intact and the colors from fading you can use marine sealer with UV protection. Choose your level of sheen, give the final paint a quick sanding with very fine paper, wipe down and seal!

You can now put your finished creation anywhere you want!

• Judy Miller

Do the pots just sit on each other.

• Marty Olson

Why interior paint if it's for outdoors? What paint can be used for putting them outside? Thanks in advance for the answers.

• Suz Roberts
      14 hours ago

I would try the acrylic craft paint; its cheap. Then I would use a spray gloss to protect it. Yeah, it will need painted again in a couple of years... or maybe the patina effect would be awesome?

• Suz Roberts
    14 hours ago

Good job! Super creative! Really cute! I have seen other projects using terra cotta pots; water fountain, santa clause...So fun!

• DMarie
    7 minutes ago

Great idea - came out super!