Sue Eldred
Sue Eldred
  • Washington, IL

DIY Seashell Lamp

$20

Like most people, I love to walk the beach and collect shells.
During the summer, I like to display my shells in a large clear vase on the mantle.
This year, I decided to make a Lamp using a Light Kit from Etchall.
diy seashell lamp, crafts, lighting, seasonal holiday decor
Here’s what I used to make the DIY Seashell Lamp:
  1. Clean mason the jar to remove all dirt, fingerprints and oil. Dry with a coffee filter, paper towel, or lint-free cloth.
  2. Mask off a 1″ area around the mason jar with removable painters tape.
  3. Apply a heavy coat of etchall® etching crème to the masked area using the etchall® squeegee. Leave etching crème on for 15 minutes. After etching time has elapsed, use the squeegee to return the crème back into the original container for later re-use.
  4. Rinse etched surface with hot water to remove any remaining crème. Remember to keep crème away from porcelain or ceramic tiles.
  1. Dry mason jar and apply the “relax” peel and stick stencil onto the middle of the first side. Mask the sides of the stencil with removable painter’s tape.
  2. Using a stencil brush and the multi surface paint, fill in the open areas of the stencil.
  3. Carefully remove stencil and clean before stenciling on the other three sides of the jar.
  4. Fill Jar with sand and shells.
the lighten up shade kit
  1. Using the plastic sleeve template, trace onto a piece of burlap. Cut the burlap leaving a 1/2″ allowance around traced template.
  2. Use spray adhesive to coat the back of the burlap. Apply onto the lampshade and trim.
  • Glue twine around edge of lampshade.
  • Optional: The top of the shade is removable so I spray painted it black.
The Lighten Up Kit is pretty easy to customize. Lots of possibilities. It comes with a self-illuminating lampshade with LED lights, template and instructions guide. It uses 3 AA batteries so it’s portable and can be used almost anywhere.

The DIY Seashell Lamp was created for and sponsored by Etchall®.

• Etchall Lighten Up Kit  (Etchall creme)
  • Mason Jar
Sue Eldred

• Dee Johnston

Can you use the spray adhesive on fabric to cover a lamp shade?

• LyonStill

I don't understand why you put a 'lid' on the lamp? The heat rises and needs to escape from the top. Otherwise, I like what you did with the shells.

• Leah M

It is an LED lamp and, while LEDs do get hot, they don't get as hot as more traditional lights.

• Kim Hodge

Where did you get the light kit from?

• Sue Eldred

I got it from etchall. I’m not sure if they still make the kit.

• Drd4223999

Lovely. I need to collect some pretty shells!

• Linda Abate

Love your sea shell lamp. I have several thick large glass containers full of sea shells and other treasures I have collected over the years from my yearly vacations to Maine. I never thought of placing some in a lamp, but love the idea. This way, I can display my collection in other areas of my home.