Jacquie Hess
Jacquie Hess
  • Willard, UT

Easy Cheap Update for Bad Tile

This is what my tub front now looks like. I started out with uneven not my style tile on the front of my tub. I didn't want to take the time to tear it all out and redo the tile so I thought of an easy inexpensive way to cover it up. I measured the area, bought a sheet of bead board, found the center because the beadboard sheet wasn't a wide enough piece to have the lines going up and down. I knew I would need to piece it together then cover the seam with trim.
easy cheap update for bad tile, bathroom ideas, home maintenance repairs, tiling
This is what the tile looked like and what I wanted covered up. I had just gotten a new solid surface tub deck and this tile did not go with that.
I used this construction adhesive all over the back of the beadboard and pushed it as hard as i could to the tub front. It stuck really well almost like a suction cup.
For the trim I used out door vinyl trim that you would use outside around windows or doors. This can with stand the water and humidity. You can find these pieces in the trim section at Lowes or Home Depot. I measured out each length and used the same adhesive for each trim piece taping them so they didn't slide down or move around while it dried.
After all the adhesive dried I put a couple coats of white paint on it. Once that dried I glazed it in gray to match my bathroom cabinets that I also refinished. I also applied polyurethane to seal it so it would be easy to wipe down and clean up.
I now have an updated easy to clean tub front that goes with the rest of my bathroom and style. I probably spent a total of $50 in supplies. I already had the paint and poly.

Jacquie Hess

• Kathi La Plume Guthrie

I plan to do the same thing. Let me ask, did you have the same tile on the wall above your tub. That is may problem. I have the same ugly tile on walls above, on top around tub, and at the bottom. You were lucky you already had a nice top piece.
    • Jacquie Hess

Yes I had the same time on the bottom as I did on the top so this is a great project to break up the tile look.

• Marsue

Very nice, but my thing is, what happens if it gets wet?? When my grandson takes a bath in the second bathroom, he always splashes water everywhere. Can not imagine that it would survive much water on it.

• Mary Bertch-Gardner

My husband and I are currently doing this same thing to our laminate kitchen backsplash. We found beadboard that is reversible and made of pvc.
      , Before, After
  • Pgm5863785

Could I use this over 1940's ceramic tile

• Cathy Magan

Looks great! Good job! (But the tile BEFORE was nice too). I like your new look better though💚

*It's now a cool looking mix of wood & tile as opposed to ALL tile.

• Karen

Yes!!!