The Everyday Home/Barb Garrett
The Everyday Home/Barb Garrett
  • Jacksonville, NC

(NO MESS) DIY Kitty Litter Box

Let's admit it. All cat lovers will understand the dread of these two words. Litter Box. I know right? It's nothing we speak about in polite society or British Tea Rooms. :) I knew I HAD to come up with a better solution. So the weekend we agreed to dogsit my furry "grandson" was the weekend we made a drastic change in the litter box situation. It changed our life. Well, our litter box cleaning life.
 no mess diy kitty litter box, diy, pets, pets animals
It took all of 10 minutes to complete, and the cost was less than $20.
I purchased a large plastic bin. You may even already have one of these. I also purchased 3 smaller plastic totes at the Dollar Store.
Cut an opening into the small end using a utility knife. Make sure you leave the lower lip in tact as shown above.
The key is to add a mat or something which will help collect the litter from the bottom of their paws before they exit the Litter Box. (My grandson said it was a Poop Condo) :-D I made quick trip into the Thrift Store and bought several bath mats for 50 cents each. They can be washed as needed. I filled the smaller pan with the kitty litter.
The litter box sits at the back of the "condo." I have ordered some small stick-on motion detector lights. The grandkids say I need a Bathroom sign on the front. Yes, they still kick the litter outside their box, but it is now contained inside the condo. Plus, having several smaller backup bins make cleanup quick and easy.
Someone liked to "linger" inside of the new condo after she had finished her "business." :-D
For the funny story of how our dogsitting weekend went, please make sure you visit me at The Everyday Home Blog at the link below. Whether you are a dog-lover or a cat-lover, you will get a good chuckle.

• 1 Lg Plastic Bin
  • 2-3 smaller plastic bins
  • Bath Mats or Door Mats
The Everyday Home/Barb Garrett

• Deb Jean

Is the smaller plastic bin big enough so they can move around and cover up their business?

• Her2308345

Hello there! I think this is a genius idea. I had a question though, and maybe there's a reason it wouldn't be an improvement that I hadn't thought of, please advise. If the bin were turned over, with the lid on top as is normally and cat door cut a few inches from the bottom wouldn't taking the lid off the clean out be much simpler and easier? Thanks for the idea)

• Grangie

I agree with the others that this is a great idea! My question: why do you need more than one of the smaller plastic containers?

• Jyl blensinger48@gmail.com

Never thought of this marvy hack! I'm on my way to Dollar Store and Walmart to do the whole thing. I have 4 indoor cats, so I keep 2 boxes [each cleaned morning get and before bedtime. And I rarely have any smell. But this sounds so much cleaner than my old way. So stand back, shoppers, I'm comin' thru! Queanie

• Sylvia Todd

For a multi-cat household, which I have, use clear large tote. That way the young cat can't sneak up and pounce on the old cat... It would be best to have two boxes, but limited space means I have ONE.

• Linda Abate

Another idea other than a litter box holder would be to use one of these containers on the patio or deck for your pet to go into for shelter and be protected from the rain and cold if you have a cat that goes in and out. I have one on my deck for my cat that loves being outside in the summer and early fall. I have it under my bar height table with a tarp over top of it to keep it dry if the cat happens be out in the rain and he/she can stay dry and warm. I love all the uses one can come up with using storage containers.