Cement Planter

$11

Take an old wooden bowl and add some cement and a cactus and voila! You have a lovely new planter!
MATERIALS:
-Rapid Set Cement
-Water
-Old Wooden Bowl
-Cardboard / Plastic / Metal Containers for Cement Molds (The first mold should be able to cover the circumference of the circle you draw in STEP 1, while the second should fit within the first mold while still leaving at least a " gap)
-Tape
-Oil (Any cooking or baking oil will work)
-Paint Brush
-Sandpaper
-(Not pictured: a plate and cup or mixing bowl)
STEP 1: Trace the lip of the bowl on a piece of paper
STEP 2: If using cardboard, (as pictured) mold it into the circular shape and tape the edges together to create a circular shape. Grease the sides of the molds that will touch cement and place them within one another leaving space to pour the cement into and place them on top of a plastic plate.
STEP 3: Mix the cement and water according to the instructions on the cement box. (I mixed mine in a disposable plastic cup) Pour the cement in between the molds so that it is dispersed evenly. Set aside and allow to set. (See instructions on the cement box for setting times)
STEP 4: Once the cement has set remove the molds and sand down any sharp edges.
STEP 5: Set the cement circle on the bowl and mix another batch of cement to seal the two pieces together. Allow the cement to sit and begin to set for about 30-45 seconds. This will help the cement to be more moldable. Spread the cement in all the crevices.
STEP 6: Scrape the sides of the bowl with a credit card or piece of plastic to help smooth out any lumps of cement. Allow the cement to set.
STEP 7: Once the cement has set sand down the sides to create a smooth surface.
STEP 8: Now you are ready to plant!

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time

• Kathy Bitzan

Wonderful looking planter but I was wondering if you could skip the last step and just put the bowl over the wet cement and have it work that way.

• Barbara Lowell

also cement shrinks as it dries so you probably would have a gap, plus wood absorbs water ... it could be a problem, but I would experiment with this ... looking forward to doing cement fun this summer.

• Tin5511091

Do you not need holes for drainage?

• Diane

you can put rocks on bottom before the soil for indoor drainage if you need "some: drainage

• Cathy Reese

I love this idea, but I'm wondering if you may have experimented with larger bowls? I'm interested in trying this project, but I'm thinking about making an outside planter that will hold a mixture of plants, etc.

• Jessica

Fabulous idea!!! I can see adding some embellishments such as colored stones to the cement or even tinting the cement various colors... I absolutely love this!! Very clever, stylish, can be personalized, and above all it gets more plants growing!! Thank you for sharing this!
  • Deborah Lana Benson Cox

Love this have wanted to work in cement projects for long time....this would be good place to start the learning curve process....would like get into making molds out of hunks of Styrofoam and make large projects eventually..big planters..or art pieces for my yard and to sell also..This would be good way to start and get familiar with the processes..Thank you very cute piece...lover the wood and cement look together...debb