How to Build a Rock Garden

Have you ever wondered how to build one of those fabulous rock gardens? We did just that by using recycled driveways. From elaborate rock gardens to rock walls, read about it here.
Rock garden at Darts Hill, Surrey BC.I love this look using alpine plants and hoped to have our rock garden wall look similar.
Checking out other rock gardens gave us ideas on what we wanted in our new rock garden. Here scree is used in this garden.
The first layer of rock was dug down and placed at least halfway into the ground for stability. Once the first layer was complete, the next was layer was carefully placed on top in brick fashion. Carefully select your rocks as you go.
Our community garden didn't have the funds for an elaborate rock garden but we wanted to add some beauty to the entry of our garden. Filling the rock garden with soil above using good quality soil.
The wall is three layers high and not mortared. As it was built, each layer was laid to lean just slightly toward the center of the garden to prevent tipping. Safety is paramount.
We added spring bulbs first to our completed rock garden, adding plants slowly as we decided on what we wanted to use. Creeping succulents are a must for the rock garden.
Ladner Community Garden's rock wall garden brings plants to eye level. Elevated beds also warm up quickly in the spring.
Its wonderful to watch as the season progresses with the different plants.
Remember to use plants that are in scale with the garden. The Shasta daisy was removed from this bed and moved elsewhere in the garden.
The rock garden is built in 2 sections each being 65' long with an arbor in the center as a grand entrance to our community garden.

Deltagardener

• Lynne Webb

In looking at the stone, is this created from bags of Quickrete? It's lovely and I need walls. One to direct the neighbors run-off because he paved where he should not have. Now I have 'water front property' when it rains hard. Another area needs to be terraced. So if this is bags of Quickrete, it's a great job and do-able by me.
    • Sarah Jane

How would you use the Quikcrete? Make molds to pour the Quikcrete in?

• Laurie

So beautiful.

• Sarah Jane

Without mortar, how do you keep the soil in over time as it rains or you water? My elevated rock area on the side of the driveway needs to be redone because I get mud all over the drive.