Thrift Store Upcycled Candlestick Project

Some friends and I participate in a monthly thrift store decor upcycle challenge. This month I made some pretty "cake stands" out of some dated pillar candlesticks!
I have long had an affection for cake stands. All of mine are made of either ceramic or glass. I had seen some pretty ones with wood turned bases but didn't wanted something a bit more custom. So, I set out to the thrift store to find the perfect candlesticks to work with. It wasn't easy, but I found these two. One a little taller than the other.
I figured a few coats of white chalk paint and some sanding should do the trick. Things were a bit more complicated given the black detailing.
In the end, some extra sanding with my palm sander, and several thin layers of paint, I ended up with a the finish I was going for. The little nail sticking out the top of each one came out easily with a pair of pliers creating the flat surface I needed to glue the plates on.
I topped the taller one with a simple white square plate and the shorter one with a slightly off white round shallow bowl, both bought at previous yard sale excursions. A little hot glue set them in place.
While they really are too small to hold a cake, they will be put to good use in the kitchen. Right now they are holding some fresh fruit and linen napkins for easy reach.
You can read the whole story on the blog!

• Wood candlesticks  (thrift store)
  • Glass plates  (yard sales)
  • Hot glue gun

Red Cottage Chronicles