$257 Home Office Makeover (+4 DIY Ideas!)

$257

I repurposed an extra niche off the master bedroom into this home office for my husband, for a budget of just $257, a lot of DIY, and some great Craigslist finds!
Here is the finished space! The biggest project was creating a credenza for tons of storage and extra work space. I found four file cabinets on Craiglist, for $30. They were all different colors, so I painted them all white, and painted the metal hardware a matte black. For a pop of color I painted the blank panel turquoise with craft paint. I had a plywood top cut down from Lowes and I stained it in a walnut stain. I had a small trim piece nailed to the edges to finish off the look. For around $70 I was able to create this "credenza" for him.
This was the existing space. The only thing in the area was this white shelf. It is an approximately 7'x7' niche off of our master bedroom. While my husband was gone on a business trip for a few days, I surprised him by turning it into a home office for him. I hid everything in the garage ahead of time and then spent three days transforming it.
As a designer, I always make a Mood Board for all of my clients, so I started off by making one for this project too! I wanted something fairly neutral and attractive because you can see it from our bed! Therefore, I didn't want any traditional "office" furniture. One project was to create a credenza using file cabinets and a wood top. Another project was to turn a small table into a desk, and then to incorporate some personal details into his space.
For a personal touch, I used four rustic wood frames, and framed four vintage style maps. Each map is from a town that he lived in during his life. I chose topographical style maps that I found online and printed for free on my home printer. I also took this small table that I found on Craiglist and painted it a dark gray, and paired it with a leftover dining room table chair. I also took a scrap piece of leftover plywood and painted it white and distressed it. Then I painted a "B" on it for his monogram. This (free) piece of art adds a personal touch, but it also helps hide the ugly but necessary cords.
A few final detals, like a neutral 4x6 Target ogee rug, some framed family photos, and some wire caddies for supplies finish off the space.

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Kristin @ Postbox Designs

• Melissa V

This has the perfect lighting for an office space, yet still separate from the house for privacy.

• Kimberly

I love how cozy it looks ! What color paint did you use on the walls?