Giving an Old Crib a Face Lift

My neighbor had an old plain crib that she wanted to give a face lift. She had an idea that we could make it look a little more glamorous similar to this example nursery.
First the back was removed and I cut a back panel from plywood that is the same width as the original crib back. Then used a jig saw to cut curves, similar to the inspiration crib.
I cut out trim pieces, again with the jig saw. The trim pieces are easily attached to the back panel with wood glue and a brad nailer. A solid front panel was also cut out and I added trim to coordinate with the back.
I used a reciprocating saw to remove some of the front 'bars' for the solid panel.
On the back panel, I drilled holes to match the original back piece. This way the crib assembles the same way that it originally did. Pocket holes are added to the front solid panel and attached where the center bars were. I filled all of the nail holes, sanded it smooth and painted it white.
Finally I painted the accent trim periwinkle to match her room and bedding.
The face lift worked really well. When the baby grows out of the crib, the back panel will be a perfect headboard for a twin bed! Love when things are multipurpose. Check out the blog link at the bottom for detailed plans and printable patterns.

• Plywood  (Home Depot)
  • Wood glue
  • Brad nails

Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Hertoolbelt

• Sandra Crosbie
    Sandra Crosbie

Absolutely stunning. It's a crib fit for a prince or princess.

• Nadine
    Nadine

Beautiful. The back would make an awesome headboard when the kid gets too old for the crib