Maria
Maria
  • North Las Vegas, NV

DIY Queen Headboard for $35

I needed to relocate our guest bed and it ended up under a window. Could not find any headboard that would fit under the window without blocking it, so I ended up making it myself. Spent $35 for 1x4 and 1x6 pine boards, sample paint and a box of kreg screws. I love how it turned out.
diy queen headboard for 35, bedroom ideas, painted furniture
Here it is...
After calculating the dimensions, I had all my wood pieces cut at Home Depot to perfect size. I sanded every piece with 120 grit sand paper, making a slight round along the edges of the wood pieces. Then dry fitted the whole thing and marked them (top, side, 1, 2, 3 etc)
TIP: when calculating the required materials, please remember that e.g a 1"x4" piece of wood actually measures 3/4 inch x 3.5 inch.
Using my beloved Kreg Jig I made pocket holes everywhere I needed (marked them previously).
Going slowly and making sure I don't bend the whole piece, I screwed them together.
Here is the headboard done. Then I fixed any nail holes, sanded, then wiped it clean of dust.
I have picked the room color BM Revere Pewter (which I absolutly LOVE) and looked for complementing colors and ended up finding BM Chelsea Gray. I bought a $3 sample paint. Using a mason jar, I mixed 1 part paint (about half of the sample jar) and 2 part water. Mixed it together and stained the wood with a better quality synthetic brush.
Dragged it to the room and assembled the bed.
Perfect size :) Yay!
Here is the before...
And the after :) Do you like it?

• 1"x6" x 8'  (Home Depot)
  • 1"x4" x 6'  (Home Depot)
  • Paint sample BM Chelsea Gray  (Home Depot)

• Susan

This is a beautiful piece.

Why did you not add the measurements, cuts and instructions?

• Brittney Hash

Do you think this would work for a taller headboard? May need to attach to wall somehow if larger than yours?

• Brittney Hash

• Christina Addie

Very nice, thinking of giving this a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Maria

Thank you, go for it :) good luck :)

• MasonDixie

Great idea, Just an idea in our complex when someone moves out they toss perfect objects, I found a 3 part mirror frame curved tops but mirrors were broke.. I took the mirrors out and replaced with 3 panels of material, and attached hed to bed frame with 1 center screw attached to the wall. Looks great I love it.