KILL ANTS INSTANTLY !!! Natural DIY Spray!

I AM NOT AN EXTERMINATER!!! Please don't ask questions if it kills other insects or if it's safe for your pet . I sprayed it on my kitchen counter and it got rid of the ants and YES IT KILLED THEM DEAD!! Ants don't like the smell of vinegar, and the Windex kills them the second it hits them!! . After you spray the ants, you can just wipe them away with a paper towel, their Dead!! If you know where
SAFE DIY ANT KILLER
SAFE DIY ANT KILLER
I was washing windows in my kitchen when I noticed some ants crawling on my counter. I had the Windex in my hand, and to stop them I thought I'd wet them to slow them down. I was surprised that it killed them the second it touched them. Then I read that they hate the scent of vinegar, so I thought if I mixed the two together it would also keep them away. IT WORKS
Filled Windex spray bottle half way.u
Filled Windex spray bottle half way.u
I filled a Windex spray bottle half full with Windex.
Measured out half cup white vinegar
Measured out half cup white vinegar
Measured out half cup of white vinegar.
Added vinegar to spray bottle of Windex
Added vinegar to spray bottle of Windex
Added the vinegar to the Windex
Shake spray bottle
Shake spray bottle
Spray on the ants, they will die instantly! Leave surface wet with solution. You can spray anywhere you don't want them to go. They won't get near it!
The ants were coming in at the window over my kitchen sink. I sprayed a line of the solution around them to keep them from going all over my counter. I just kept spraying every time I saw some. The next day they were gone. Got a wet paper towel and just wiped up the counter. I sprayed some of the solution to clean it all up.

• Windex spray  (Supermarket)
  • White vinegar  (Supermarket)

• Leona Clemens

Can this be used in my flower garden the ants is distoring my flowers?

• Jacqueline LaRose Nusz

Vinegar will kill your flowers. OK to kill weeds though.

• Mel7223250

Please DO NOT use this on your garden!! It will kill your flowers. You could try Terro Liquid Ant Bait for Outdoors. It's a plastic stake you stick in the ground, the ants drink the liquid go back to their nest and it kills the whole nest. Good luck with your flowers!!

, Terro outdoor stakes work
    • Trish

But: don't use this product if you have a dog who likes to chew on plastic!

• Beckwith Campbell

I swear by Terro....vinegar WILL kill plants. And I thought you weren't suppose to use vinegar on granite?

• Mar5842415

True on granite. Vinegar is acidic and will eat into stone and granite is stone. I believe Windex is also acidic.

• Peggy Leard

Is it safe around pets

• Mel7223250

I don't think it is harmful to pets. It's just two things a lot of people use to clean with. I have a Jack Russell and a cat. If you would feel safer give your vet a call.

• Marion Lavigne

Most glass cleaners, if not all of them, contain ammonia, it would not be good for our pets.

• Deb2580745

Will this work on spiders

• Mel7223250

It might, never tried it on spiders.

• Wendy

Don't!

• TR1

Why "Don't!" ?

• Lisa

Yeah. Why not?

• Kaye

Spiders are important to the balance of nature ... they eat many of the insects you are "taking out" with vinegar and Windex!

• Lisa Falkenthal

I'm with Kaye. Spiders are good bugs. If they are where you don't want them, just try to scoop them up gently and move them.

• Pih6685841

Black widows could drink this stuff

• Leah Meiterman

Is it BAD for bees?

• Sandy Harmon

Has it been tried on those annoying clouds of bugs near lakes. Are they knats??

• Linda Hunt

Is this safe with a curious cat around, please? I have a disturbing amount of ants that invade my Castle (read trailer) all the time, but especially during damp times. Thank you kindly if anyone knows.

• Trish McCloskey

Equal amounts of borax and sugar. Make a paste and put it in a low lipped lids like a sour cream container and make sure you put where your pets can't reach it. I was having big black ants on my kitchen counters. I watched them for awhile to see where they were coming from then I layed out the borax and sugar paste. They gobbled it up in 3 days and took it back to the nest and it killed the whole nest. I haven't seen any of them this years!

• Trish McCloskey

Put a basket around it so the cat can't get in but the ants can, weight it down if you have to.

• Sandra

No self-respecting cat would go anywhere near the smell of either. Don't worry, they will self-police!

• Jan2602359

Is this safe to spray on granite?

• Hb

not a good idea .It can etch the granite

• Andrea Struthers

Is it safe to use in the garden as ants are destroying our sunflower plants?

• Rii

No, I would not try this on plants as you can use vinegar as a weed killer.

• EJ

Vinegar will kill plants. Use it to kill weeds but keep away from flowers.

• S

Just mentioning, ants don't usually bother plants but they do 'farm' aphids, so you may have aphids on your plants and the ants 'look after' them and eat their sugary deposits. So when you see damage and ants you may want to try an aphid (greenfly, whitefly, blackfly) deterrent.

• I chop a head of garlic and chilli peppers really fine . Then I let them soap in In 2 liters of warm water for a few days. I strain it all into a spray bottle. Spray it on your plants. It will keep ants, mosquito's and other insects away. They can't stand the smell.

• Barbara

Try spreading corn meal around in the garden. I've heard ants take it back to their nest , eat it, and they explode! Also, I've heard ants will not cross a heavy layer of chalk. If you try either of these, let us know.

• Janis Frantz

I've tried the corn meal and it didn't work. May be to humid here in the southern USA.

• Imt7313135

I tried the cornmeal trick and it just ended up making mush here in Florida...

• Donnalbarclay

Ummm, do you think it would deter snakes?

• Esblake1

no

• for snakes, buy diamataceous earth at your local pool supply (it's for DE filters). It's a white powder, mix it in a fertilizer spreader (I use to mix it with Milorganite Organic nitrogen fertilizer) and put it on my yard. Snakes will not crawl through the diamataceous earth because it cuts their skin. Fleas and other crustaceons don't like it either. It worked really well when I lived in Florida.

• Ta

When i had my houae I wouls get gartwr snakes in my house, my cat would leave me a surprise in the hall in the mornings. I bought amoth ball crystals and put them around the outside of my house each spring. No more snakes in the house and they could still kill mice in the yard. I didnt have young children or grandkids at that time, but the crystals were not visable after a few days.

• Steve

Diatomaceous Earth works great for lots of critters. AND ITS HUMAN FRIENDLY! There's actually directions on the package for human consumption.

• Donnalbarclay

Thanks for the TIP about mothball crystals!! I am going to get some straight away.

• Phyllis Warner

How can I get rid or prevent centipedes from coming into my house, especially my bathroom?

• DB

They tend to follow the pipes into your house Sprinkle borax around the gaps--kilss silver fish too

• Robin Harris

can you use this solution on ant piles?

• DB

Use Diazanon for outside ant hills

• Par7778318

Does this work for cleaning windows, mirrors & glass stop stoves?

• Judith Felber Nelson

Yes the windows don't streak as much as with just plain windex. Vinegar works just as well with plain water for cleaning windows etc.

• Peg7486141

You can buy winded with vinegar in stores!!!

• Diane Gidaro

Would the solution be safe for plants?

• Diane

No it is not safe for plants... vinegar will kill plants!

• Betty Dotsch

Vinegar diluted with water is good to use to water plants that prefer an acidic soil. I'd be more worried about the windex on the plants.

• Betty Dotsch

• Cyn7786399

Vinegar & Dawn will kill weeds...

• Norman Brown

Does it have to be Windex. Can it be any window cleaner?

• Herb Simon

Check the chemical content, if it is the same then there is no problem.

• Rhonda

Just vinegar and water works no Windex necessary.

• Alice

I find where they are coming in and put a couple of cotton balls soaked with ammonia and water there. They go away and will not come back.

• Dav7988837

i have 2 dogs. will this solution hurt them?

• Annie Doherty

No it won't harm them if you you mix white vinegar with dog shampoo it will keep pests like fleas, ticks etc away and it does not harm their skin, I found it very effective.

• Mary L Doran

Adding a question...how much vinegar to how much dog shampoo??

• Manya Ameri

Is this solution safe on granite countertops and cherry wood floors? I know vinegar is bad for metal.

• Joan Senator

Doesn't Windex have ammonia, and won't that interact with vinegar?

• Diamondvalleygirl

Ammonia free would be best choice, so it's not toxic.

• MEG

I add apple cider vinegar and ammonia to a bucket of warm water to wash Windows all the time. Then I go over them with lint free rag and windex. They will shine for months. I was once told by a friend that she could always tell where I lived by the shine of the Windows.

• Victoria Locklear

You go girl! I would love your energy!! :o)

• Shannon

My husband's aunt has the cleanest, softest and best smelling carpets. I asked her what she used to clean them and she said a mixture of ammonia and white vinegar instead of the usual carpet solutions. As to the question of dangerous reactions it is when you mix ammonia and bleach that you have a deadly reaction,

• Kathy

My mother told me a story years ago ( probably 45 at least) of a woman who mixed the bleach with ammonia to clean her toilet. The toilet exploded right before her eyes. BOOM!

• Jeanna

Mixing vinegar with ammonia also makes chlorine gas. Research this!!!!!

• Alan

What is the use of adding the vinegar if the Windex kills them stone dead??

• Cathi

Vinegar kills the scent trail ants used so they go away

• Ginger Taylor

Winded stained my white grout recommend a clear window cleaner

• NancyMaria

If your grout changes color, maybe you should seal your grout. That is recommended at least once a year.

• Marilyn

You can get clear Windex or the off brand. That would also avoid staining anything! Just a thought!

• Wil6627669

Hydrogen peroxide works great to unstaining your grout. My sister-in-law has tons of white grout and swears by it.

• Ttc7584345

Vinegar is supposed to be a good window cleaner. Do you think this combo would work on windows?

• Cindy

Yes it does

• Cindy

Yes it does

• Cindy

Yes it does

• Bas345922

Windex works. Vinegar works. Must work.

• Cam7705677

Yes, they are both used for windows, so why not.

• Sarah

my tip of the day... dry windows with newspaper for no lint and wash them on a cloudy day or when the window is in the shade.

• Jade

Was going to Lowes to buy chemical for ants as they have totally invaded the house. Now I can just grab these items at the grocery store in my area!! Thanks so much for the info. I like homemade much better than chemical but was losing the battle Thanks

• Cynthia

A squeeze of Dawn liquid detergent is an amazing window cleaner (added to bucket of water) Also...A dollop of vinegar and bucket of water and coffee filters (to dry to streak free), best window and mirror cleaner ever!!! Even better to buy a squeegee faster and easier! I had a cleaning company and we always used Dawn liquid cleaning detergent mixed with water for the windows and mirrors. P.S. you do not need a lot of soap or vinegar!

• Dav7988837

if you use the ant mixture and they injest it, will it harm them?

• Ta56469454

Will this work on fire ants?

• Peggysue

Amdro is the only thing I have found that drives/kills fire ants. You have to sprinkle a circle around the hole in the ground before they come out in the morning or late the night before. The next day they are gone.

• Connie

They're gone from THAT hole, but will show up in your neighbor's yard within a day. I once had neighbors on either side of me treat their fire ants the same day, and I woke up the next day to 5 big new red ant hills!!! We all agreed to treat our lawns the same day from then on! ;-)

• Imt7313135

My husband ends up dosing any fire anthills the second they come up, plus he just goes around to the next door neighbor's lawn and across the street and gets their lawn because they never seem to get around to it. If you don't treat the area around you, they will move back after the next rainfall...

• Imt7313135

I forgot to add, he does this with the neighbor's consent, of course!

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

That is so true... Neighbors landlord did this for fire ants and sprayed for wasps.. Guess what moved in with us? Yep woke up next morning to a fire ants and wasp festival happening like they'd been partying together, in harmony, all night in my kitchen... Cost us lots of money and still have issues to this day!

• Dee B

Glad to know. I had the exterminator recently because I could not get rid of ants, bees and wasps. I did not consider that they would go to my neighbors. Most are older and retired and do not need the headache. I will be more considerate from now on. Thanks to all.

• Maggie Ann

I used to pour rubbing alcohol on fire ant piles, then light them on fire. That definitely kills them. Just don't do this on ant piles next to any structures. (I now rent, so management takes care of the problem.)

• Sue Martin

I heard that club soda will kill fire ants, but, I don't know for sure. I live in Ohio. I have family in Alabama and Georgia, and the fire ants have introduced themselves to me plenty of times. The ones in Georgia got infected almost as soon as I got bit by them.

• Mawmawkathy9

I live in FL and use a INSTANT Grits and POWERED Sugar mix to take care of the ants. The thing is...poison will just run them off. What you need to do is kill the Queen. With the grits and sugar, the workers carry this back to the Queen, all proud of themselves, they are!, and she, being the pig that she is, feasts on this, dies. Meanwhile, the workers, with no leader, decides to have a feast too, and wham! they fall over too!

My neighbors laugh at me when I'm outside with my 4 cup measuring cup and a tablespoon, going around singing "Feed the little chiden" as I sprinkle this on ALL the hills I see. I have actually walked back around and found new hills because those ants are stealing from the one hill I did see and they are carrying it to their own hill!!

Helpful little critters they are!!

• Dav7988837

I have two dogs, If I spray the windex/vinegar in my yard, will it harm my dogs?

• Anna

The vinegar won't, but read the Windex bottle and see what it says. I don't use Windex, so I don't know. I use a vinegar/water type mix.

• Linda Lonardo

I doubt it would kill your dogs but I would try to keep them away from where you're spraying.

• Cinda Besrdsley

Vinegar kills grass so be careful.

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

I didn't know vinegar killed grass! Thank you Cinda! Totally makes sense now, as I clean our outdoor pool shower with a vinegar solution and threw the mixture in a bush / weedy area, and now I killed the weeds but the bush too. Honestly I thought the pool chemicals somehow made it over there but THIS explains it! Now I know better!

• Linda Hoffecker

Yes, vinegar kills vegetation.. I buy it from an Ag store and it's called either 100 or 1000 grain vinegar and that is what the Amish use it for, killing weeds....but you do have to be carefulwith overspray!!

• Nancy

I tried this on ants and it didn't work. The just walked through it and some went around it. It did not kill one any.

• Jud7226947

It killed ants. Ii sprayed nits in trash can kill them fast

• Linda Hoffecker

They could have been 'salad ants'. LOL

• Maggie Morris

It worked dead in there path have always used windex and it worked but I am going to add vinegar as they say it cleans good

• Judith Condos

Boric acid powder and a tiny bit of sugar,put in a small lid and set in the path the ants take to their ant hill and the Queen!

• Suzannah McCuen

I use Windex with ammonia. I believe it's the ammonia that kills them. The vinegar is not necessary.

• Katheedenny

Windex is wonderful for killing flies too. I don't have central air, and they are always getting in the house. I had about 20 that had collected behind my blinds on my door. Windex was near by; grabbed it and started spraying. Even if it didn't kill them right away, stunned them to the point of not being able to fly. Took a paper towel and killed them because they all fell to the floor. Then I just wiped the Windex off the window panes on the door. "Killed two birds with one stone"! Dead flies, and clean window panes on my door.

• Maggie Ann

Wasps hate Febreeze, both the fabric refresher and the air freshener.

• Sandra Wellington

What can I use to keep potatoes bugs from eating the leaves of potato plants? Thank You!!

• Debbie Testin

Dust them with Seven dust. Read label before purchasing it list everything that it kills as far as insects n bugs.

• Linda

Spray Water bottle with a shot of Dawn dish detergent is safer than Sevin dust

• Linda

• Dawn worthy

A solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid with cayenne pepper and water

• Linda Hunt

My mentor taught me to carry a wee bucket of soap and water along the row and pop the bugs into it!! BY HAND. Cheeky bugger but it works every single time and only takes about a week and a half to eliminate them. So if it is personal garden you are talking of, get your sweet self a wee bench to sit comfortably on while you are squatted over your potatoes rows. It does go very, very quickly once you know what you are looking at.

• Jsm5179467

see if you can find some children who still go outside..???..whoever picks the most tater bugs wins a prize!!

• Judith Condos

Mama had us take a small tin with kerosene in it, putting them in the can by hand. We were wise enough to not get the kerosene in our eyes or put our fingers in our mouth!

• Diane

Oh yeah I got all day to pick bugs off plants NOT thanks anyhow.

• Iwa11687529

Word of warning for non science people. Be careful what you mix together. My brother ended up in hospital for a week because he didn't and his lungs were scared. He's lucky he's alive.

• Virginia-Ted Rye

would this work to keep rabbits and deer from eating blackberries and vegetables?

• Mel7223250

NO!! Put up a fence!

• Linda

You really want Windex on your berries? Rabbits need a mesh fence that's buried a foot into the ground and 36" tall...you can electrify it using solar power, just Google that for info

• Jsm5179467

what the heck does rabbits and deer .......have to do with ANTS?

• Mardel

If it works great...however it only kills the ones that you see on the counter? The nest (queen) will only go some place else and start the process again. You need to use something that the ants will take back to the queen and once the queen is dead, then they all die. I use a Terro ant killer from Home Depot. A little drop on a piece of hard paper! The ants crawl on it; eat and take back to the queen; ants are gone. Yes it is poisonous but I hate ants inside my home. Uncles are different.

• Jjk6758026

A safer mix is 1 cup of powdered sugar 1/4 cup borax (20 Mule Team in the laundry dept.) Mix well in covered container like Cool Whip bowl or chip can Sprinkle where ants will walk thru it and feed it to the nest. May take a day or two but it works! Also use below hummingbird feeders - sprinkle in grass to protect bees.

• Lt_8380578

I just went through this AGAIN!!! You name it, I've tried it, Terro, worked a little, Raid, chalk line, cayenne pepper line. Followed the ant trails, etc. Then I came across the following..... 1/4 C sugar (granulated), 1/2 Cup water, 1/2 tsp. borax. Mix it up, place in bottle caps, beer caps, anything that will hold a little bit. It works like Terro, but MUCH better. Don't freak out when in a couple of hours there will be hundreds there! And trust me, it will look like they've invited every ant in the neighborhood. Each one will take some and hurry back to the colony to the head queen and it kills them all! You will slowly see less and less!

• Cheryl Cairns

Windex and vinegar is great for Windows too! I use vinegar and water with a few drops of Dawn! Wipe with old newspapers!! Magic!

• Linda Reilly

Haha!

• Ant7064855

From Argentina I ask you: ¿What is WNDEX? Here we don't have. Thanks

• Ter5545048

It is a window cleaner with ammonia

• Ant7064855

Thank's a lot!!!! Terri

• Val14708818

Mix 1 part vinegar 1 part water and 1 part ammonia with a drop of dish soap and you have a great window and counter top cleaner.

• Val14708818

• C

Which size ants; large or small? carpenter or sugar ants?

• Vwa14013907

You can put borax and jelly mixture out where you see any type of ants and they will carry it back to the nest and will kill the colony. Ants gone. Don't let pets near the mixture though....poison to them.

• Karen

I put Vaseline ( used Vicks because that was what I had) to get rid of ants. They were coming in around window, had read that Vaseline seals the small holes. Well I smeared Vicks thick on the corners & where the windows & wood connect. Haven't ants since. That was 4 years ago. Once a year I add more if needed. Vaseline or Vicks off brand is $1 at $1 Tree. Lol

• Mary Hofstra

I like your idea of Vaseline! I bought some at the dollar tree that is slightly scented and I don't like it. I was going to throw it out but I'll try it for this in the spring when the "Ants come marching in!"

• Sha11847450

Do you have any solutions to get rid of stink bugs?

• Karol Tarkowski

did you read the intro???

• Mar8791369

Ants!

• Felicia

Get a foil pan fill 1/4 of the pan with water and dish soap, Place pan in an area where there is light. I place mine on bathroom counter. Stink bugs go in pan and die. Not sure why, but read this trick somewhere and it worked for me. Good luck!

• Irene

Rea her first few sentences.

• Fra15077665

Does it kill centipedes, those little pests that look like worms? Fran

• Irene

Read her first 2 sentences.

• Sandra

I want the ask that too, they don't look worn to me they look very creepy to me

• Pathfinder440

I believe she was asking the readers in general, such as the one who had already discovered this solution!

• Whitney Weinstein

Thanks for the great tip. I had ants in California, but I am now in Georgia and the problem is roaches. Got a solution to get rid of the roaches?

• Marge Summit

i live in Chicago, and we have roaches...i mix baking soda and sugar...they love it...and die and when they go to their nests, it also kills more...about 2tbl of each and mix....and put around the house..hope this helps..

• Karen

Diatomaceous earth is a great, natural bug killer ... insects, including roaches, walk through it and ingest when they clean their legs, and the stuff not only cuts their tissues but dehydrates them as well. Safe around animals and kids, though I avoid heavy use where my cats walk. But it's also useful to sprinkle/spread through animal fur to kills fleas ... use it as a carpet "sprinkle" for the same purpose ... leave a few hours or overnight, then vacuum (preferably with a true HEPA filter machine, so no dust will get recirculated into the air). Order online or find in lawn & garden stores/section. Heed the caution about breathing it in, though.

• Marge

mix boric acid and flour 50\50 add a little water to make a paste and roll into balls. Let the balls dry and place where you have roaches. be careful this is poisonous to children put them where kids can't reach them. To cut down on roaches never bri g paper bags i to yoyr house they all have some eggs in them.

• Robin Cockerham

I'be used biracial acid for years. Have to ask pharmacist for it, sprinkle behind stove, refrigerator, open top of cabinets (open between top of cabinet and ceiling, lay wax paper over to keep from getting on decorative items/hands), also around water pipes under sinks. You'll never see a live roach again. They walk through it, take it bake to the nest, and it kills the others, even babies!!!

• Robin Cockerham

Sorry, they take it back to the nest.

• Whitney Weinstein

Thank you Robin!

• QTO15141748

Is there any spray that not harmful to all kind of insects and worms? Sincerely need to know! Jen

• DB

Thanks for understanding that most insects are good to keep!!!!! Spraying, windex or vinegar may kill many insects on contact but it won't kill them to walk over a counter or window after it is dry. [ dry vinegar won't really kill the ants either- it just covers the scent their scouts laid down to help them find their way to their desired food so it may deter them from coming farther into your house. }The best thing i have used is bait traps with Terro..It works for most types of ants. Get indoor traps for the house. Get the outdoor type and put them near where you think they enter the house Most insects are not attracted to them, won't hurt the worms. Vinegar won't hurt the worms either. On ant hills near the house I used Diazanon (actually smells a little vinegary). It is available at most hardware stores and garden centers. It will tell you on the packaging what bugs it affects. You are good to protect your worms, pollenators and tokeep a few spiders around. I had one exterminator come and try to expand his scope by pointing out the spider webs under the eaves with bad stories about spider bites. I told him I liked my spiders and he better stay away from them!! One of the reasons I stopped using Orkin was they sprayed the house and yard killed everything and I had to send the dog away for 2days. Good luck balancing your ecosystem!

• Vallen

Peppermint oil just detours spiders from areas you don't want them in, doesn't kill them. I use it around perimeter of living space.

• Penny Rider Tingey

Since vinegar is used to clean windows, would this solution also work on windows?

• Helene Beadman

Yes it will, I do this. Half bottle of windex , 3/4 cup vinegar and fill to top with water, shake and way to go. It saves the environment and goes a long way..

• Mary N Triplett

Penny what my Grandmother taught me was to wash the windows,both house and car, with 3/4 vinegar, 1 /4 water. That's because we ran out of windex,

• Cheryl L. Mcclure

I use old newspapers instead of a rag to clean them of course after I spray!

• Barbara Peck

I do too! No lint like paper towels! I just leave newspaper to dry in sun and throw into recycling bin... triple use!

• Penny Rider Tingey

Thank u everyone!🌟

• DB

Vinegar and Widex will kill ants idk sprayed directly on them, otherwise they are only a temporary deterrent as it cleans and covers the scent that the scout ants lay down for the others to follow. If you want to get rid of them, you have to destroy the nest and queen, !

• Tina

do you think this solulation work on spiders if not does anybody know of something that will get rid of spiders ,I'm highly allergic to them. Any help is appericated

• Janice Carney

i have heard that pepperment oil keeps them away.

• Frankie Roberts

I melted some mint candy and vinager and sprayed wherever I saw them.

• Jamie

Hi Tina, I live in the woods in upstate , n.y and yes I now no all about spiders , I bought a big gallon jug of bug spray at my hardware store n it sure works , n like the lady said peppermint oil I haven't tried that yet, I'm sorry I'm not in front of the name

• Vallen

A mix of peppermint oil, liquid dish soap, and water in a spray bottle keeps spiders and flies away. I sprayed around my garage and garbage can, no more spiders. Flies stay away from can. It's strong and safe with pets.

• Marge

fill a sprsy bottle with vinegar then add about 2 ounces of coconut oil. shake it well and spray all your corners with it. The smell of the vinegar will go away. I use this all the time it works even out on your porch.

• Ac

I have been using peppermint oil and water for about 3 years now. I start spraying the areas in early Spring, and I hardly see any spiders any more. We do live at the edge of a forest, so I know they won't ever be totally gone, but the number is down by 98%!! I fill a spray bottle half way with water, and put in enough peppermint oil to make it smell like peppermint. Spray in corners of windows and doors, and along the baseboards.

• Try boric acid powder! It works!

• Jamie

Tina I found the name of bug spray, orthodox home defense, n yes it works

• Jamie

I mean Ortho

• Jamie

Lol

• Jgr15030991

I have used Home Defence for a few years. It Works, I hate spiders! Bought another brand by mistake and it didn't do it. I also use it around my back porch and all windows, my garage, front porch and basement. Doesn't affect my dog.
      Hope this helps.

Jan G in Ohio

• Sonya Rose

Eucalyptus get some eucalyptus wool wash and add more eucalyptus and shake and spray Spiders die

• Evelyn Tom Doomany

Where can I get peppermint oil?

• Kathy

You can get peppermint oil on line. I got mine st amazon

• Glo19375732

I got mine at walmart

• Tammy

Any craft store too

• Sharon Anderson

Peppermint oil worked for me. No more spiders.

• Rox3143551

Tea tree oil....get at health food store. Or buy the home defense cuz yes it works.

• Rosemary Seabury

does anyone know how to eradicate silver fish. I have an exterminator come every couple months now for the last year and still have them.

• Shawna Bailey

Oh that's a tough problem, I've never found a solution. I'd be curious to hear from others if they know. It might be worth making a discussion post

• Rosemary Seabury

Sure is. Thanks anyway. Guess I'll just have to keep the exterminator in business a little longer. LOL. I'm getting frustrated with the little pests. Just want them gone.

• Rosemary Seabury

• Vickie

try bay leaves. I don't know if it will work but worth a try. suppose to work on spiders and mice. Have you tried cedar? you can buy cedar planks, balls, things that go on hangers Cedar wood should keep silver fish outpe this helps

• Nina

Try cinnamon sticks or lavender oil or mothballs all work on silverfish

• DB

Borax. They actually make (or used to) little flat packets of borax to pack with books that were to be stored.

• Bob Konvit

I know they love cardboard. I use a little baking on a small piece of foil to get rid of them.

• I use boric acid! It will kill ants!

• Angie Jacin

Try peppermint oil mixed with water and spray around entry ways n windows

• Cathy Ganus Richardson

Food grade diatomacious earth kills bugs. Safe for humans and pets. Google it!

• Han23677933

Napthelene or crushed mothballs!

• Lowcntrygal

Making all natural products and remedies among other things for my crafting business, I've found peppermint and lavender essential oils to keep most bugs away. No spiders, ants or silver fish issues anymore. When it comes to roaches, I do the sweet cream, boric acid and a bit of water. I place it in jar lids, like mayo jar lids and slide it under my fridge, stove, back of bottom cabinets and other places my dogs can't get to.

• Michele McAfee

I live in south florida and i am finding roaches, mostly in my garage. I am not a dirty person, but have to deal with lots of creepy crawlers living in the south. Does anyone have a safe way to rid roaches? I have a dog that I worry about getting into something toxic. I would like to use inside my house as well... Thanks. Btw..most of the roaches are giant! A few small ones too, but mostly the huge ones!

• Pde16978190

go to the dollar store and get boric acid and put it under your sink. refrigerator, stove any where they may be hiding, make sure your pets or children can't get to it. It is cheap and will get rid of them

• Mjo22351803

I've had great success with Harris Roach tablets for years. Think they may have Borax in them. They won't poison pets but may make them vomit. I throw them behind furniture etc. Good luck! I am from Florida and have lived here most of my life.

• Cathy Ganus Richardson

Diatomacious earth kills a lot of bugs. Use food grade and it's safe for humans and pets. Google it!

• Marla Rackley

We use Raid Roach Motels Just place them in the cabinets in kitchen, bathrooms etc. we put them where our dogs can't get them we don't have a Roach problem and haven't in a lot of years. I'm not sure about how big a Roach you can get with them.

• Barbara Taylor

I lived in S. Fla too and had roaches forever UNTIL a friend told me to mix sweetened condensed milk with boric acid. That finally got rid of them all. It really works! I still use it. Make it thickly runny and put it in bottle caps all around your house. Closets, cabinets even out doors if you have them on your porch like I do. It works.

• Two28123368

I thought boric acid was only available at a pharmacy. I'll look at the dollar store too. 😉 I sprinkle it on a sheet of paper and slide it under the fridge, stove, etc. when I want to replace the powder with a fresh sheet full, I pull them out with a rubber-tipped spatula.

• Maxine Waller

Just have a pest company come out and spray once a month. I don't think it costs very much. That's one reason I hate the south. We don't have many critters in Washington. Ants are about the wprst thing

• Susie Sharp

20 Mule Team Borax can be found on the laundry aisle in almost any grocery store. It's also good to add to laundry to get really dirty work/play clothes clean.

• Ter4278316

Also you can use confectioners sugar with the mule team borax and have a dry moisture to use-also great for ants.

• Grandma jean

We lived in Chicago in the 70’s. Learned from elderly ladies in our apartment building to use Pine Sol straight out of the bottle. We sprayed it under sinks, our doors, and on flooring every week. We always did it on weekends right before we left to go grocery shopping-the smell would be toxic for our new baby. But having a roach crawl across our little baby was too sad, so spray and get away. Apartment always smelled clean when returning! And it kept the ants/roaches away.

• Carolyn Wright

They also have boric acid tablets at Home Depot that work really well.

• Becky

Get a saddle for the roaches: ride to work and save gas.

• Ms. Bonnie

We have a product in the South called Bengal. The roach version comes in a tube and you place it where ever you see roaches. Works for ants as well!

• Bun32676211

Those giant roaches are called palmetto bugs they are attracted to moisture if they're getting in your house theres either a nest in your walls or they're getting in some other way you might want to look online or get the advice of a pest control

• Jwo28027578

mix some sugar with an equal amt of borax and spread this behind electric outlets and wherever you find roaches. may make pets ill if they ingest.

• Michelle Bellin

Just went through the same thing! And I’m deathly phobic if anything that looks brown & roachlike!! btw I’m OCD clean too it’s not us they want free rent and that’s NOT happening. So to evict them without having to even look at them I went the Food Grade “DIATOMASEOUS EARTH” route (hope I spelled it right) it’s a duster, not toxic because you can eat it (food grade only!)and it got rid of a bunch of beach fleas that decided to move in rent free this summer! Yea right. Go on eBay or amazon it’s super cheap like $5 and follow the directions is key

• Hcs15481817

Yes a pest spray company comes once a month....it only costs me $33 each month. It works great for me. Sure gives me peace of mind!

• B

how about red ants ???

• Vilinda

For some reason, I found out that ants do not like coffee. I placed some on top and around them. You could see them coming out. Next day all gone. Good Luck.

• Dav32544490

will windex and white vinegar kill stink bugs?

• Ter4278316

The only way I know to kill stink bugs is to scoop them into a cup of dawn liquid. 😞

• Gail

She mentioned in her article that she doesn’t know if it will kill any other bugs.

• Sophia

I have ants every year from May to October. I finally tried corn meal on the counter. That has been more effective than any ant product.. and I added a few of the little containers of posion. I don't like poisoning anything but I was getting desperate. The corn meal was the best so far.

• Jacquienina

Okay, so this is REALLY important. Only mix vinegar with products without ammonia. Some windex products do. Vinegar and Ammonia are a very dangerous combination. TOXIC gas is created.