KILL ANTS INSTANTLY !!! Natural DIY Spray!

654K Views
I AM NOT AN EXTERMINATER!!! Please don't ask questions if it kills other insects or if it's safe for your pet . I sprayed it on my kitchen counter and it got rid of the ants and YES IT KILLED THEM DEAD!! Ants don't like the smell of vinegar, and the Windex kills them the second it hits them!! . After you spray the ants, you can just wipe them away with a paper towel, their Dead!! If you know where their coming in, keep the area wet with the solution. They Hate the scent of the vinegar, they will stay away from it.
I was washing windows in my kitchen when I noticed some ants crawling on my counter. I had the Windex in my hand, and to stop them I thought I'd wet them to slow them down. I was surprised that it killed them the second it touched them. Then I read that they hate the scent of vinegar, so I thought if I mixed the two together it would also keep them away. IT WORKS
I filled a Windex spray bottle half full with Windex.
Measured out half cup of white vinegar.
Added the vinegar to the Windex
Spray on the ants, they will die instantly! Leave surface wet with solution. You can spray anywhere you don't want them to go. They won't get near it!
The ants were coming in at the window over my kitchen sink. I sprayed a line of the solution around them to keep them from going all over my counter. I just kept spraying every time I saw some. The next day they were gone. Got a wet paper towel and just wiped up the counter. I sprayed some of the solution to clean it all up.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Windex spray  (Supermarket)
  • White vinegar  (Supermarket)

Ask a Question
    • Check the chemical content, if it is the same then there is no problem.
    • Just vinegar and water works no Windex necessary.
      RhondaRhonda Bothell, WA · answered Jul 01, 2016
    • I find where they are coming in and put a couple of cotton balls soaked with ammonia and water there. They go away and will not come back.
      AliceAlice Raleigh, NC · answered Jul 01, 2016

• No it won't harm them if you you mix white vinegar with dog shampoo it will keep pests like fleas, ticks etc away and it does not harm their skin, I found it very effective.
    • Adding a question...how much vinegar to how much dog shampoo??

• Vinegar is corrosive on marble counter tops.
    • Thank you!
    • You can't use anything acidic (vinegar) on granite or other stone countertops. It will damage them.
      LisaLisa Grand Rapids, MI · answered Jan 07, 2017

• Ammonia free would be best choice, so it's not toxic.
    • I add apple cider vinegar and ammonia to a bucket of warm water to wash Windows all the time. Then I go over them with lint free rag and windex. They will shine for months. I was once told by a friend that she could always tell where I lived by the shine of the Windows.
      MEGMEG Chestertown, MD · answered Jul 01, 2016
    • You go girl! I would love your energy!! :o)
    • My husband's aunt has the cleanest, softest and best smelling carpets. I asked her what she used to clean them and she said a mixture of ammonia and white vinegar instead of the usual carpet solutions. As to the question of dangerous reactions it is when you mix ammonia and bleach that you have a deadly reaction,
      ShannonShannon Gresham, OR · answered Jul 01, 2016
    • My mother told me a story years ago ( probably 45 at least) of a woman who mixed the bleach with ammonia to clean her toilet. The toilet exploded right before her eyes. BOOM!
      KathyKathy Fort Collins, CO · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • Mixing vinegar with ammonia also makes chlorine gas. Research this!!!!!
      JeannaJeanna Lakewood, OH · answered Jan 09, 2017

• Vinegar kills the scent trail ants used so they go away
      CathiCathi Bloomington, IL · answered Jul 02, 2016

• If your grout changes color, maybe you should seal your grout. That is recommended at least once a year.
    • You can get clear Windex or the off brand. That would also avoid staining anything! Just a thought!
      MarilynMarilyn Pasadena, TX · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • Hydrogen peroxide works great to unstaining your grout. My sister-in-law has tons of white grout and swears by it.

• Yes it does
      CindyCindy Canada · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • Yes it does
    • Yes it does
    • Windex works. Vinegar works. Must work.
    • Yes, they are both used for windows, so why not.
    • my tip of the day... dry windows with newspaper for no lint and wash them on a cloudy day or when the window is in the shade.
      SarahSarah Manchester, PA · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • Was going to Lowes to buy chemical for ants as they have totally invaded the house. Now I can just grab these items at the grocery store in my area!! Thanks so much for the info. I like homemade much better than chemical but was losing the battle Thanks
      JadeJade Midland, TX · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • A squeeze of Dawn liquid detergent is an amazing window cleaner (added to bucket of water) Also...A dollop of vinegar and bucket of water and coffee filters (to dry to streak free), best window and mirror cleaner ever!!! Even better to buy a squeegee faster and easier! I had a cleaning company and we always used Dawn liquid cleaning detergent mixed with water for the windows and mirrors. P.S. you do not need a lot of soap or vinegar!
      CynthiaCynthia Saint Louis, MO · answered Jul 02, 2016

• What???? can you read?
    • Who cares?
    • Ha Ha Ha! Tooooo funny!
    • Deader than a door nail! Kaboom!
    • So funny
      JanieJanie Mission, TX · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • duh--that's the purpose!!
      CkryzCkryz · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • Won't hurt a bit! They'll be dead.
      MichelleMichelle Hot Springs Village, AR · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • Omg, it's too early for this, I'm laughing so hard. Nothing better to wake your brain up than a good belly laugh! Thanks guys... You made my morning!
    • So funny. I had to run to the bathroom to avoid peeing my pants.
      ColleenColleen Smithtown, NY · answered Jan 07, 2017

• Amdro is the only thing I have found that drives/kills fire ants. You have to sprinkle a circle around the hole in the ground before they come out in the morning or late the night before. The next day they are gone.
    • They're gone from THAT hole, but will show up in your neighbor's yard within a day. I once had neighbors on either side of me treat their fire ants the same day, and I woke up the next day to 5 big new red ant hills!!! We all agreed to treat our lawns the same day from then on! ;-)
    • My husband ends up dosing any fire anthills the second they come up, plus he just goes around to the next door neighbor's lawn and across the street and gets their lawn because they never seem to get around to it. If you don't treat the area around you, they will move back after the next rainfall...
    • I forgot to add, he does this with the neighbor's consent, of course!
    • That is so true... Neighbors landlord did this for fire ants and sprayed for wasps.. Guess what moved in with us? Yep woke up next morning to a fire ants and wasp festival happening like they'd been partying together, in harmony, all night in my kitchen... Cost us lots of money and still have issues to this day!
    • Glad to know. I had the exterminator recently because I could not get rid of ants, bees and wasps. I did not consider that they would go to my neighbors. Most are older and retired and do not need the headache. I will be more considerate from now on. Thanks to all.
      Dee BDee B Newport News, VA · answered Jul 06, 2016
    • I used to pour rubbing alcohol on fire ant piles, then light them on fire. That definitely kills them. Just don't do this on ant piles next to any structures. (I now rent, so management takes care of the problem.)
      Maggie AnnMaggie Ann Pearl River, LA · answered Jan 07, 2017
    • I heard that club soda will kill fire ants, but, I don't know for sure. I live in Ohio. I have family in Alabama and Georgia, and the fire ants have introduced themselves to me plenty of times. The ones in Georgia got infected almost as soon as I got bit by them.
    • I live in FL and use a INSTANT Grits and POWERED Sugar mix to take care of the ants. The thing is...poison will just run them off. What you need to do is kill the Queen. With the grits and sugar, the workers carry this back to the Queen, all proud of themselves, they are!, and she, being the pig that she is, feasts on this, dies. Meanwhile, the workers, with no leader, decides to have a feast too, and wham! they fall over too!

My neighbors laugh at me when I'm outside with my 4 cup measuring cup and a tablespoon, going around singing "Feed the little chiden" as I sprinkle this on ALL the hills I see. I have actually walked back around and found new hills because those ants are stealing from the one hill I did see and they are carrying it to their own hill!!

Helpful little critters they are!!

• The vinegar won't, but read the Windex bottle and see what it says. I don't use Windex, so I don't know. I use a vinegar/water type mix.
      AnnaAnna Arizona City, AZ · answered Jul 02, 2016
    • I doubt it would kill your dogs but I would try to keep them away from where you're spraying.
    • Vinegar kills grass so be careful.
    • I didn't know vinegar killed grass! Thank you Cinda! Totally makes sense now, as I clean our outdoor pool shower with a vinegar solution and threw the mixture in a bush / weedy area, and now I killed the weeds but the bush too. Honestly I thought the pool chemicals somehow made it over there but THIS explains it! Now I know better!
    • Yes, vinegar kills vegetation.. I buy it from an Ag store and it's called either 100 or 1000 grain vinegar and that is what the Amish use it for, killing weeds....but you do have to be carefulwith overspray!!

• It killed ants. Ii sprayed nits in trash can kill them fast
    • They could have been 'salad ants'. LOL
    • It worked dead in there path have always used windex and it worked but I am going to add vinegar as they say it cleans good
    • Boric acid powder and a tiny bit of sugar,put in a small lid and set in the path the ants take to their ant hill and the Queen!
    • I use Windex with ammonia. I believe it's the ammonia that kills them. The vinegar is not necessary.
    • Windex is wonderful for killing flies too. I don't have central air, and they are always getting in the house. I had about 20 that had collected behind my blinds on my door. Windex was near by; grabbed it and started spraying. Even if it didn't kill them right away, stunned them to the point of not being able to fly. Took a paper towel and killed them because they all fell to the floor. Then I just wiped the Windex off the window panes on the door. "Killed two birds with one stone"! Dead flies, and clean window panes on my door.
    • Wasps hate Febreeze, both the fabric refresher and the air freshener.

• Dust them with Seven dust. Read label before purchasing it list everything that it kills as far as insects n bugs.
    • Spray Water bottle with a shot of Dawn dish detergent is safer than Sevin dust
      LindaLinda Glendale, AZ · answered Jul 05, 2016
    • A solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid with cayenne pepper and water
    • My mentor taught me to carry a wee bucket of soap and water along the row and pop the bugs into it!! BY HAND. Cheeky bugger but it works every single time and only takes about a week and a half to eliminate them. So if it is personal garden you are talking of, get your sweet self a wee bench to sit comfortably on while you are squatted over your potatoes rows. It does go very, very quickly once you know what you are looking at.
    • see if you can find some children who still go outside..???..whoever picks the most tater bugs wins a prize!!
      JsmiefsceJsmiefsce Honesdale, PA · answered Jul 10, 2016
    • Mama had us take a small tin with kerosene in it, putting them in the can by hand. We were wise enough to not get the kerosene in our eyes or put our fingers in our mouth!
    • Oh yeah I got all day to pick bugs off plants NOT thanks anyhow.
      Dibo52Dibo52 · answered Jan 07, 2017
    • Word of warning for non science people. Be careful what you mix together. My brother ended up in hospital for a week because he didn't and his lungs were scared. He's lucky he's alive.

• NO!! Put up a fence!
    • You really want Windex on your berries? Rabbits need a mesh fence that's buried a foot into the ground and 36" tall...you can electrify it using solar power, just Google that for info
    • what the heck does rabbits and deer .......have to do with ANTS?
    • If it works great...however it only kills the ones that you see on the counter? The nest (queen) will only go some place else and start the process again. You need to use something that the ants will take back to the queen and once the queen is dead, then they all die. I use a Terro ant killer from Home Depot. A little drop on a piece of hard paper! The ants crawl on it; eat and take back to the queen; ants are gone. Yes it is poisonous but I hate ants inside my home. Uncles are different.
      MardelMardel Zephyrhills, FL · answered Jul 11, 2016
    • A safer mix is 1 cup of powdered sugar 1/4 cup borax (20 Mule Team in the laundry dept.) Mix well in covered container like Cool Whip bowl or chip can Sprinkle where ants will walk thru it and feed it to the nest. May take a day or two but it works! Also use below hummingbird feeders - sprinkle in grass to protect bees.
    • I just went through this AGAIN!!! You name it, I've tried it, Terro, worked a little, Raid, chalk line, cayenne pepper line. Followed the ant trails, etc. Then I came across the following..... 1/4 C sugar (granulated), 1/2 Cup water, 1/2 tsp. borax. Mix it up, place in bottle caps, beer caps, anything that will hold a little bit. It works like Terro, but MUCH better. Don't freak out when in a couple of hours there will be hundreds there! And trust me, it will look like they've invited every ant in the neighborhood. Each one will take some and hurry back to the colony to the head queen and it kills them all! You will slowly see less and less!
    • Windex and vinegar is great for Windows too! I use vinegar and water with a few drops of Dawn! Wipe with old newspapers!! Magic!
    • Haha!

• It is a window cleaner with ammonia
      TerriTerri Danville, CA · answered Aug 09, 2016
    • Thank's a lot!!!! Terri
    • Mix 1 part vinegar 1 part water and 1 part ammonia with a drop of dish soap and you have a great window and counter top cleaner.

• You can put borax and jelly mixture out where you see any type of ants and they will carry it back to the nest and will kill the colony. Ants gone. Don't let pets near the mixture though....poison to them.
    • I put Vaseline ( used Vicks because that was what I had) to get rid of ants. They were coming in around window, had read that Vaseline seals the small holes. Well I smeared Vicks thick on the corners & where the windows & wood connect. Haven't ants since. That was 4 years ago. Once a year I add more if needed. Vaseline or Vicks off brand is $1 at $1 Tree. Lol
      KarenKaren Russellville, AR · answered Jan 07, 2017
    • I like your idea of Vaseline! I bought some at the dollar tree that is slightly scented and I don't like it. I was going to throw it out but I'll try it for this in the spring when the "Ants come marching in!"

• did you read the intro???
    • Ants!
    • Get a foil pan fill 1/4 of the pan with water and dish soap, Place pan in an area where there is light. I place mine on bathroom counter. Stink bugs go in pan and die. Not sure why, but read this trick somewhere and it worked for me. Good luck!
      FeliciaFelicia New York, NY · answered Jan 07, 2017
    • Rea her first few sentences.
      IreneIrene Littleton, CO · answered Jan 07, 2017

• Read her first 2 sentences.
    • I want the ask that too, they don't look worn to me they look very creepy to me
      SandraSandra Belen, NM · answered Jan 07, 2017
    • I believe she was asking the readers in general, such as the one who had already discovered this solution!

• i live in Chicago, and we have roaches...i mix baking soda and sugar...they love it...and die and when they go to their nests, it also kills more...about 2tbl of each and mix....and put around the house..hope this helps..
    • Diatomaceous earth is a great, natural bug killer ... insects, including roaches, walk through it and ingest when they clean their legs, and the stuff not only cuts their tissues but dehydrates them as well. Safe around animals and kids, though I avoid heavy use where my cats walk. But it's also useful to sprinkle/spread through animal fur to kills fleas ... use it as a carpet "sprinkle" for the same purpose ... leave a few hours or overnight, then vacuum (preferably with a true HEPA filter machine, so no dust will get recirculated into the air). Order online or find in lawn & garden stores/section. Heed the caution about breathing it in, though.
      KarenKaren Port Saint Lucie, FL · answered Jan 07, 2017
    • mix boric acid and flour 50\50 add a little water to make a paste and roll into balls. Let the balls dry and place where you have roaches. be careful this is poisonous to children put them where kids can't reach them. To cut down on roaches never bri g paper bags i to yoyr house they all have some eggs in them.
      MargeMarge Valencia, PA · answered Jan 22, 2017
    • I'be used biracial acid for years. Have to ask pharmacist for it, sprinkle behind stove, refrigerator, open top of cabinets (open between top of cabinet and ceiling, lay wax paper over to keep from getting on decorative items/hands), also around water pipes under sinks. You'll never see a live roach again. They walk through it, take it bake to the nest, and it kills the others, even babies!!!
    • Sorry, they take it back to the nest.
    • Thank you Robin!

• Thanks for understanding that most insects are good to keep!!!!! Spraying, windex or vinegar may kill many insects on contact but it won't kill them to walk over a counter or window after it is dry. [ dry vinegar won't really kill the ants either- it just covers the scent their scouts laid down to help them find their way to their desired food so it may deter them from coming farther into your house. }The best thing i have used is bait traps with Terro..It works for most types of ants. Get indoor traps for the house. Get the outdoor type and put them near where you think they enter the house Most insects are not attracted to them, won't hurt the worms. Vinegar won't hurt the worms either. On ant hills near the house I used Diazanon (actually smells a little vinegary). It is available at most hardware stores and garden centers. It will tell you on the packaging what bugs it affects. You are good to protect your worms, pollenators and tokeep a few spiders around. I had one exterminator come and try to expand his scope by pointing out the spider webs under the eaves with bad stories about spider bites. I told him I liked my spiders and he better stay away from them!! One of the reasons I stopped using Orkin was they sprayed the house and yard killed everything and I had to send the dog away for 2days. Good luck balancing your ecosystem!
      DBDB Fort Collins, CO · answered Jan 07, 2017
    • Peppermint oil just detours spiders from areas you don't want them in, doesn't kill them. I use it around perimeter of living space.
      VallenVallen Forney, TX · answered Jan 21, 2017

• Yes it will, I do this. Half bottle of windex , 3/4 cup vinegar and fill to top with water, shake and way to go. It saves the environment and goes a long way..
    • Penny what my Grandmother taught me was to wash the windows,both house and car, with 3/4 vinegar, 1 /4 water. That's because we ran out of windex,
    • I use old newspapers instead of a rag to clean them of course after I spray!
    • I do too! No lint like paper towels! I just leave newspaper to dry in sun and throw into recycling bin... triple use!
    • Thank u everyone!🌟
    • Vinegar and Widex will kill ants idk sprayed directly on them, otherwise they are only a temporary deterrent as it cleans and covers the scent that the scout ants lay down for the others to follow. If you want to get rid of them, you have to destroy the nest and queen, !
      DBDB Fort Collins, CO · answered Jan 31, 2017

• i have heard that pepperment oil keeps them away.
    • I melted some mint candy and vinager and sprayed wherever I saw them.
    • Hi Tina, I live in the woods in upstate , n.y and yes I now no all about spiders , I bought a big gallon jug of bug spray at my hardware store n it sure works , n like the lady said peppermint oil I haven't tried that yet, I'm sorry I'm not in front of the name
      JamieJamie Whitestone, NY · answered Jan 09, 2017
    • A mix of peppermint oil, liquid dish soap, and water in a spray bottle keeps spiders and flies away. I sprayed around my garage and garbage can, no more spiders. Flies stay away from can. It's strong and safe with pets.
    • fill a sprsy bottle with vinegar then add about 2 ounces of coconut oil. shake it well and spray all your corners with it. The smell of the vinegar will go away. I use this all the time it works even out on your porch.
    • I have been using peppermint oil and water for about 3 years now. I start spraying the areas in early Spring, and I hardly see any spiders any more. We do live at the edge of a forest, so I know they won't ever be totally gone, but the number is down by 98%!! I fill a spray bottle half way with water, and put in enough peppermint oil to make it smell like peppermint. Spray in corners of windows and doors, and along the baseboards.
      AcAc Ringwood, NJ · answered Feb 04, 2017
    • Try boric acid powder! It works!
    • Tina I found the name of bug spray, orthodox home defense, n yes it works
      JamieJamie Whitestone, NY · answered Mar 04, 2017
    • I mean Ortho
    • Lol
    • I have used Home Defence for a few years. It Works, I hate spiders! Bought another brand by mistake and it didn't do it. I also use it around my back porch and all windows, my garage, front porch and basement. Doesn't affect my dog.
      Hope this helps.

Jan G in Ohio
    • Eucalyptus get some eucalyptus wool wash and add more eucalyptus and shake and spray Spiders die
    • Where can I get peppermint oil?

• You can get peppermint oil on line. I got mine st amazon
      KathyKathy Warwick, NY · answered May 30, 2017
    • I got mine at walmart
    • Any craft store too
      TammyTammy Aurora, OH · answered Sep 08, 2017
    • Peppermint oil worked for me. No more spiders.
    • Tea tree oil....get at health food store. Or buy the home defense cuz yes it works.

• Oh that's a tough problem, I've never found a solution. I'd be curious to hear from others if they know. It might be worth making a discussion post
    • Sure is. Thanks anyway. Guess I'll just have to keep the exterminator in business a little longer. LOL. I'm getting frustrated with the little pests. Just want them gone.
    • try bay leaves. I don't know if it will work but worth a try. suppose to work on spiders and mice. Have you tried cedar? you can buy cedar planks, balls, things that go on hangers Cedar wood should keep silver fish outpe this helps
      VickieVickie Robert Lee, TX · answered Jan 20, 2017
    • Try cinnamon sticks or lavender oil or mothballs all work on silverfish
      NinaNina Columbus, OH · answered Jan 21, 2017
    • Borax. They actually make (or used to) little flat packets of borax to pack with books that were to be stored.
    • I know they love cardboard. I use a little baking on a small piece of foil to get rid of them.
    • I use boric acid! It will kill ants!
    • Try peppermint oil mixed with water and spray around entry ways n windows
    • Food grade diatomacious earth kills bugs. Safe for humans and pets. Google it!
    • Napthelene or crushed mothballs!
    • Making all natural products and remedies among other things for my crafting business, I've found peppermint and lavender essential oils to keep most bugs away. No spiders, ants or silver fish issues anymore. When it comes to roaches, I do the sweet cream, boric acid and a bit of water. I place it in jar lids, like mayo jar lids and slide it under my fridge, stove, back of bottom cabinets and other places my dogs can't get to.

• go to the dollar store and get boric acid and put it under your sink. refrigerator, stove any where they may be hiding, make sure your pets or children can't get to it. It is cheap and will get rid of them

• I've had great success with Harris Roach tablets for years. Think they may have Borax in them. They won't poison pets but may make them vomit. I throw them behind furniture etc. Good luck! I am from Florida and have lived here most of my life.
    • Diatomacious earth kills a lot of bugs. Use food grade and it's safe for humans and pets. Google it!
    • We use Raid Roach Motels Just place them in the cabinets in kitchen, bathrooms etc. we put them where our dogs can't get them we don't have a Roach problem and haven't in a lot of years. I'm not sure about how big a Roach you can get with them.
    • I lived in S. Fla too and had roaches forever UNTIL a friend told me to mix sweetened condensed milk with boric acid. That finally got rid of them all. It really works! I still use it. Make it thickly runny and put it in bottle caps all around your house. Closets, cabinets even out doors if you have them on your porch like I do. It works.
    • I thought boric acid was only available at a pharmacy. I'll look at the dollar store too. 😉 I sprinkle it on a sheet of paper and slide it under the fridge, stove, etc. when I want to replace the powder with a fresh sheet full, I pull them out with a rubber-tipped spatula.
    • Just have a pest company come out and spray once a month. I don't think it costs very much. That's one reason I hate the south. We don't have many critters in Washington. Ants are about the wprst thing

• 20 Mule Team Borax can be found on the laundry aisle in almost any grocery store. It's also good to add to laundry to get really dirty work/play clothes clean.

• how about red ants ???
    BB Israel · asked Oct 07, 2017