Victoria Larsen Stencils
Victoria Larsen Stencils
  • Los Lunas, NM

Ugly Barn Wood Cabinets Get an Elegant Make Over

If you hate your cabinets, there are always ideas to help you make them beautiful.
ugly barn wood cabinets get an elegant make over, painted furniture, woodworking projects
Oh how I just hated these barn wood cabinets. Though I know they would suit a rustic decorators taste to a "T", my tastes are much more elegant and traditional.
They were so well made however, that I didn't have the heart to simply rip them out. So I decided to keep them and re-do them instead.
I thought long and hard before deciding how I would tackle this project. I decided that simply covering the recessed barn wood with oak would be the best solution. However, since the barn wood was layered, much of it had to be chipped out with a hammer before a new piece of oak could lay evenly in to the recess.
What a mess it made in the bathroom having to get the sides level. But I did.
New, 1/4" oak panels were cut to size and inserted on the sides, drawers and doors. Glue is a great thing, isn't it?
I first painted the cabinet frame the same cream color as the walls and then painted the sides, doors and drawers a rich brown color. This color made the perfect back drop for our Elegance Wallpaper stencil. Applying it with a roller made the stenciling go super quick!
The large door in the front needed something more. So I cast our Ornate plaster mold with casting plaster, painted it gold to match the stenciling and mounted it to the center of the door.
I couldn't believe the difference this project made and how proud I felt when it was done. It was projects like this all over the house that actually helped the house sell when I put it on the market.

To see more: http://victorialarsen.com/decorating-gallery/ugly-barn-wood-cabinets-turned-elegant-wait-till-you-see/

• Lin6582039

How do you make the wallpaper stencil? Thanks! Linda

• June

lovely job. what are the measurements of the cabinet? I like the design and would want to reproduce it in my bathroom minus the stencils.

• Victoria Larsen Stencils

@June I sold the home so I can't go measure, however, if I remember right, that center door was 40" tall by 26" wide. The whole cabinet I thought was 76" across. But again, I'm going by memory here.