Make a Lamp for $10 With Some Wine Corks!

If you are like me and my family, we drink a fair amount of wine. We have always collected our extra corks and make coasters, art, frames, etc. out of them. This time, I had a different idea that really "popped" with the family!
I found this old jug at an antique store. It had previously been filled with some kind of old plants or straw or something, and additional 'other stuff' (which I wasn't quite able to identify if I am being honest)... Regardless of its existing style, I thought that I'd buy it and refill it with something else of my own design! Without knowing what project lay ahead, I made the impulse purchase and went on my way. Check out the before picture below.
The wiring was already done for the lamp, as was the fixture on top. The jug conveniently already had a large hole in the back of it - which I assume the previous owner/creator had used in order to easily fill and remove the contents inside. This did make my job of emptying the jug rather simple. Like I said before, my family does enjoy their wine, so when thinking about what else I could fill the lamp with, corks came as an obvious option...
I did not count how many corks I had to use in order to fill up the entire jug, but trust me, it was quite a few. I struggled for a while to decide how I could fill up the hole that was in the back of the jug... Then it came to me! If I was using corks to fill it up, then why not use a cork to seal the lamp shut as well? I ordered a custom cork online that was sized perfectly (after I sent them the measurements). You can see it a little bit in the picture below from the side.
Once the jug "got its fill," I bought a new lampshade for it, and gave it to my youngest son as a gift for his new apartment in New York City! I feel like my corky-lamp will fit-in well with a permanent home in the big city. Stay tuned for more of my projects coming soon from Dells Daily Dish!

Dell