DIY Christmas Gift - Etching Stainless Steel Tumblers

**Do this outside!** My husband steals all my tumblers so the kids and I decided to get him his own special one.
diy last minute father s day gift etching stainless steel, crafts, how to, seasonal holiday decor
These tumblers are stainless steel and from Walmart for about $10.
First use adhesive stencils. This is personal use and not for sale so I used a image off the internet.
Attach to your cup. Then get some supplies ready: 9v battery Low voltage wire (old telephone or speaker wire works ) electrical tape Vinegar Salt Q-tips Container Scissors
Tape your positive end to the battery and the cup.
Tape negative end to the battery negative post and wrap around q-tip.
Mix up tablespoon of salt and about a 1/2 cup vinegar.
Dip the q-tip in vinegar mix and start etching! Keep it moving, it will bubble or sizzle when it's working. It stinks so this is why you should be outside. **This is a battery and electric, even though the current is very minimal I still stress to be careful and not let children do this project.**
The longer you stay in one spot the more it removes and the whiter the etching will be. It was 105 degrees outside and I just wanted to be done.
Rinse and clean by hand with soap and water, then double check any spots before removing the stencil.
All done!
We also did the bottom with a joke between my daughter and husband.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 05, 2018 10:10 PM - More info
Jen Burns

3 questions on this project
  • What is the stencil material called? Can it be printed in my printer like paper? Thanks

• I contacted a local vinyl sign maker and they can make the exact cut out for a couple of dollars each. Peel, stick and remove what you want etched. I'm using this method for the Windows around my front door Windows using a frosted glass vinyl

• Alex
    Dec 24, 2017

This is really cool. Have you tried any "reverse stencils" using the same method??

• Geraldine Chislett
    Dec 24, 2017

can this be done on glass???

• On Glass you can use a stencil and the Armour Etch. It does a marvelous job. But for really sharp lines and edges, I use various punches in contact paper. Anything flat and non-textured is best. I punch out the shapes that I want and then affix them to the object I will etch. Then, using the etching cream to cover the entire object, the places that are covered by the punched out contact paper are the only ones that are NOT etched. They are left plain. The rest of the object is etched or cloudy. You can also do it in reverse when you take a sheet of contact paper and punch out the parts that you want to etch and just put the etching cream in the blank spaces that have been punched out. The surrounding contact paper will protect the rest of the object so that it remains clear. The punched out area will be etched or cloudy.