Gray-Wash A Stone Fireplace

Do you have something in your house that seems like it stares at you every time you walk in the room? Mine was my fireplace. I love my big stone fireplace, but there were a couple of things that really bothered me about it.
gray wash a stone fireplace, concrete masonry, fireplace makeovers, fireplaces mantels
First, the color of the stone is about 50 shades of brown. Also, the actual fireplace box (is that what it’s called?) is black with bright 90’s gold trim. yuck!
After painting my walls it really stood out and not in a good way! So I decided to "gray-wash" it.
I mixed 1 part paint with 3 parts water and painted, then sponged off one rock at a time.
Then it was time to fix the gold/brassy goodness on my fireplace box.
I used Rustoleum High Heat black paint and put 3 thin coats to cover the gold.
Want to see the final result? Click the link to my blog below!
Karrah @ Mrs Do It Herself