Picture Frame Wreath Using Dry Brushed Painted Frame

This tutorial is a two-fer. I give a tutorial on how I painted a raw frame using a dry brush technique AND how I created a lovely wreath using that same frame. This is one of my favorite projects!
I picked up a ready to stain/paint frame at the craft store along with some chalk paint.
The dark color is called "Tilled Soil" and the white is called "Wedding Cake." I painted the frame a base coat of the dark color. This paint goes on thick and easy. I only applied one coat of the dark, and let it dry for 2 hours as directed.
I took the white paint and shook it up really well. The paint that pooled in the lid was all the paint I needed to apply the dry brush technique.
Dry brushing is just what it sounds like. It’s using a brush that is almost dry; there’s just a dab of paint on the bristles. Dip your brush in the paint that’s on the lid, then dab most of it off on a paper towel. The key is to get the brush pretty dry and then use very light strokes.
This is not a difficult technique- but you do need to be careful when you first touch the brush to the surface you’re painting. You need a feather light touch- working in the groves first is probably the best place to start.
Next I started layering in my greenery.
I hot glued the greenery onto the frame. I use the pot type of hot glue- where the little electric skillet looking pot melts glue chips. This glue seems to hold much better that regular hot glue out of a gun. You need to be sure your greenery has areas that are really glued well and that the outer areas are looser and more natural. Continue layering your next layer of “greenery” (it’s not necessarily green as you can see here:).
I added some other filler and then my flowers. I found some really cool denim flowers and thought they’d be great for this wreath. Since it’s now hanging in my living area, the little rustic touch of the denim turned out great.
For a complete tutorial you can check the entire process at Under a Texas Sky or you can check out the video tutorial.

• Wooden Frame  (Michael's)
  • Chalk Paint  (Michael's)
  • Greenery and Flowers  (Craft Stores)

Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Under a Texas Sky

• Suz
    Suz

Thank you for your great tips. I am so curious about the rolls of ribbon on the wall behind you. Please tell me where you got the (looks like) plastic tubes to hold the rolls of ribbon. Thank you again, SFA

• Tami Stone
    Tami Stone

Did you put a clear coat of paint over the frame when was all dry? If I did put the clear coat on, do you think it be ok (weather wise) to put it on the outside of my front door??

• Under a Texas Sky
      Under a Texas Sky

I didn't do a clear coat on this particular frame project, but yes- definitely give it a nice matte clear coat to hang it outdoors. I always put a protective coat on all of my wood signs and such if they are going to be hanging outside and they do great.

• Miss Daisy
    Miss Daisy

Love it
  • Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

It is amazing what things can be made from using a picture frame. I made one similar to this for a wall hanging at Christmas last year. I made a large bow with wired ribbon and added jingle bells in three different sizes that hung from the top of the frame. It was a fun project to work on.
    I like your idea of using silk flowers. I must try this for next year with Christmas flowers. Thanks for sharing.
    • Under a Texas Sky
      Under a Texas Sky

Linda- I really love the versatility too! I think one done for Valentine’s Day would be great! I may try it.