DIY Wooden Letter Rack for Succulents

2 materials
$10

After seeing so many people using unconventional containers for their succulents, I thought I better jump on the bandwagon!

diy wooden letter rack for succulents, container gardening, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling, succulents, I apologize for the fogginess of the photo
I apologize for the fogginess of the photo.

I found a wooden mail rack/sorter/holder at Sal’s Army last week. With as popular as succulents have become, I decided this would be a quirky way to display them. I had thought about painting it but, then I thought to myself, “Self, you don’t have to paint EVERYTHING.” So, I didn’t. But I DID give it a good coat of polyurethane since I will water it every now and then. (Not too much…I have drowned many a plant. I think I’m the only person in the world that has killed an aloe vera plant.)

diy wooden letter rack for succulents, container gardening, gardening, how to, repurposing upcycling, succulents, Once again sorry for the blurry photo
Once again, sorry for the blurry photo.

After it dried, I filled the bottom of each “holder” with rock.

Next, I gathered up all of my succulents, took them out of their pots and loosened the dirt at the roots so they would have room to grow.

Then I stuffed each one into the wooden letter slots. (It was a tight fit!)

There you have it! A very quick and easy project to do. I had gone to Lowe’s to buy Hens and Chicks but they were sold out. Do you think they would have worked better?

UPDATE:

My brown thumb has struck again. I have a tendency to either over-water or under-water my succentlents. They all perished.

Turn that frown upside down...I came up with an even better idea! For starters, I threw out the now-dead succulents. I went to the Dollar Tree and bought eight faux succulents. I also got floral foam there, too. The succulents were in little pots so I removed them. Then I squished the foam into the pockets and took the cacti and whatnot and "planted" them into the foam.

Guess what...it's been nearly three years since I "planted" them and THEY'RE STILL ALIVE!

• Second-hand letter rack   (Salvation Army)
  • Succulents (live)   (Lowe's)
  • Succulents (faux)   (Dollar Tree)
Heather McKinney

Questions on this post

Your question...
  2 questions

Comments

4 of 70 comments
Next