Eco Air Freshener Spray Using Baking Soda

$7

I love saving money and I hate unnecessary chemicals in my house, especially with a dog and young ones running around. The one eco-product I haven't been able to find a good substitute for is Febreeze. I love that fresh scent, but I couldn't figure out a way to replicate it on my own! After a lot of trial and error (more error than trial), I’ve finally found a recipe for the best homemade air freshener spray. I love it even more than the store bought variety, because I can mix in my own scents.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
I used bottled water, essential oil, 1 Tbsp of baking soda and a spray bottle. Step 2: Pour Baking Soda into a Bowl
I poured 1 tablespoon of baking soda into a glass bowl to start off my mix. The baking soda helps the oil stay suspended in the water. Step 3: Add Essential Oil
I added at least 14 drops of essential oil to the baking soda. You can add more or less if you want a stronger or weaker scent, though this worked very well. One of the oils I used was citronella -- I love the way it smells (it reminds me of camping as a kid), and it keeps bugs away. Step 4: Mix Well
Mix the essential oil really well into the baking soda, so that they are fully blended. A thorough blend with help keep the oil mixed into the water. Step 5: Add the Mixture to a Spray Bottle
I used the mixing spoon to get the clumpy mixture into the bottle. This process can be a little messy, so take your time and spoon delicately, or use a funnel to speed the process up. Step 6: Add Water
I filled the rest of the spray bottle with water and mixed it around by giving it a good strong shake (once the cap was on). Step 7: Shake and Spray
I give my spray bottle a good shake before every use to mix any settles ingredients, and then I spray it over anywhere and anything!
MMMMMmmm smells great! It works in the air and on fabrics. It also works as the best car air freshener ever.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• 14 drops Essential oil  (Grocery Store)
  • 1 Tbls Baking soda  (Grocery Store)
  • 1 Bottle water  (Grocery Store)

• Lai Kheng Boey

Does the baking soda show up as white stains on fabrics that you spray on??

• Sue Pysher

I tried this and after it's sprayed and dried, it DOES have a white residue!
  • Caseyem11

Could you boil tap water instead of using bottled water?
    • Lari

I think a LITTLE HOT or BOILING water to dissolve all the baking soda than add the rest room temp water might work haven't tried yet I'll let you no > but adding the oil before dissolving, will it keep the smell? we shall see lol

• Markita Larsen

I've tried this and my sprayer got clogged. Any tips?
    • Lari

buying a GOOD spray bottle (one that is suppose to hold chemicals, not cheaper ones, only from personal experiences) than I'm sure running sprayer under little hot water after each use just for a second/two before putting it away will help with that

• Ica

O would try this as soon as I get a dry bottle.

• HomyHolds

Great ! seems very effective. Never tried baking soda as air freshener but thinking to give a try .