Barb Rosen
Barb Rosen
  • Wilmington, DE

DIY ~ Create Your Own Water Garden In A Container!

Did you know a pond isn't necessary for water gardening? You can do it in just about any container that is up to two feet deep! A container water garden is perfect for apartment balconies, patios, decks or as accents in the garden. Easy to set up and versatile, anybody can do this! Read all the details you'll need to get started at
http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/diy-create-your-own-water-garden-in-a-container/
Water Lettuce
Water Lettuce
My galvanized tub water garden!
My galvanized tub water garden!
Lotus Flower Bud
Lotus Flower Bud
Fill the pot, add the plants and you have an instant water garden!

Barb Rosen

• Julia Hall Stanger

Thought the water hyacinth or water lily is banned as an invasive species. Has cover an area in Lake Ochachobee and covers our own lake too. Prevents oxygen from getting into lake to support water borne species, like fish and plants. Originally brought over here as a Japonese water garden plant Jstanger@tampabay.rr.com
    • Patty V. Y

They sell Water Hyacinth, and Water Lilly, here in MN. We buy it at some nurseries here. It all dies in the winter, I have tried to keep some of the water plants, in our big aquarium, with the pond fish, that come in, before freeze, it gets very $, sucking, out of my spring yard shopping spree. They have always died off.

• Leh28906909

Is it possible to have an indoor water garden? If so, what plants would work and how do you care for it?
    • Barb Rosen

Yes, of course, Lehab! You would use the same tropical plants that have to be brought inside to overwinter. Do make sure you have a spot with enough light and warmth as these plants do not thrive if they get cold or it is too dark. Your local nursery or garden center should be able to help you select tropical water plants that will do well and suit your taste!
  • Debi

It’s a beautiful project! My only concern is, you always hear that you should not Jane any standing water anywhere outdoors because it creates a great place for mosquitos. What do you think? Thank you

• Barb Rosen

I always use mosquito dunks in my water containers. Some folks use feeder fish (goldfish) but I don't have anywhere for them to go in winter and don't want them to die.

• Beth Hojnacke

We just bought a new whiskey barrel fountain for our front porch. I like the idea of the water garden (little to no maintenance). But what do you do with it all over the winter months when it is cold & snowing? We planned on having to drain everything & store it until spring. But then we would have to establish new plants every year. Can we move the whole thing indoors? Or are we setting up a new "planting" every year?
  • Barb Rosen

If you have a sunny , heated porch you can do just that, move it inside. Remember, the water filled tub will be quite heavy. Some folks drain the large container and bring the plants inside in smaller containers to overwinter.