Jill F
Jill F
  • Covington, OH

You CAN Paint a Vinyl Upholstered Chair! With AS Chalk Paint

I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Pure White to paint an old, tired looking, vinyl chair. I used a darling Laurel Wreath Stencil to detail the chair and waxed the whole thing with AS clear wax. I buffed the wax immediately after applying it to the chair. Then I added another coat of wax and buffed that too. Dipped legs added a fun detail too. makeover
For this old vinyl chair I used thinned down chalk
you can paint a vinyl upholstered chair with as chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture, Here is the before You can see the difference in color as I had already started painting I only did one coat of paint because it looked fine with only one coat It covered the grime and the rough cracks
Here is the before. You can see the difference in color as I had already started painting. I only did one coat of paint because it looked fine with only one coat. It covered the grime and the rough cracks.
The before here shows how old and dingy the chair looked. The paint made it look refreshed!
you can paint a vinyl upholstered chair with as chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture
The paint cracks a bit as it wears - but doesn't flake off - it wears like an old buttery leather bomber jacket! To see the amazing after come on over to the blog!
Jill F

• Karen Reilly

I have an old striped chair that is made out of fabric would this chalk paint work on that?

• Jill F

@Karen Reilly I'm sure it would work - the biggest thing I would consider is how dark the fabric is in color. If it's very dark it can be hard to cover if you want to go with a light color. There is a great blog post here - http://www.hypheninteriors.com/chairs that has tons of info on painting upholstery and also has links to failed attempts - I'd check it out before you start your project!

• Colleen Lusignan

Can you use ASCP on a cheap version of leather that has many crackes?

• Jill F

@Colleen Lusignan I've not done that but I'm sure you could with the same results as this vinyl chair I painted.