You CAN Paint a Vinyl Upholstered Chair! With AS Chalk Paint

33K Views
I used Annie Sloan chalk paint in Pure White to paint an old, tired looking, vinyl chair. I used a darling Laurel Wreath Stencil to detail the chair and waxed the whole thing with AS clear wax. I buffed the wax immediately after applying it to the chair. Then I added another coat of wax and buffed that too. Dipped legs added a fun detail too. makeover
For this old vinyl chair I used thinned down chalk paint to freshen it. I then use clear wax as a finish - buffing immediately as I put the wax on - working in small areas waxing and buffing both.
The legs were painted the same as the chair and then 'dipped' in grey paint.
  • you can paint a vinyl upholstered chair with as chalk paint, chalk paint, painted furniture
The paint cracks a bit as it wears - but doesn't flake off - it wears like an old buttery leather bomber jacket! To see the amazing after come on over to the blog!

Suggested materials for this project:

Jill F

Ask a Question
      • Mary Insana
        Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA

Do you think the paint will crack with wear?

• Jill F
          Jill F Covington, OH

The research I did says it will crack - like an old bomber jacket! But that was for a crushed velvet upholstered chair. I don't think this will crack like that will. It looks and feels like leather - and the one I saw in the blog post I looked at looked like old worn leather with the fine cracks of an old bomber jacket. I love it! This one hasn't cracked at all and it has been sat in quite a bit.