Carole
Carole
  • Australia

Rats or Mice in Roof Space

DORLISJlj8260515Amtech Personalized Pest Management
+9

I imagine the above is a very common problem. We have heard scratching in the roof and our dog also alerted us to something going on in the roof space. Upon climbing into the loft space with a torch, we can see that there are what appears to be rat or mice droppings. As we are concerned about the little devils chewing through electrical cables and causing a fire we need to get rid of these pests. I thought about rat poison, but with a dog in the house and the thought of the rats ingesting this and dying a horrible death not to mention the thought of decomposing mice/rats in the loft space, I don't want to go that method. If we catch them in humane traps - they are probably just going to come back if/when released or else we will have to kill them (which I am very squeamish about and my hubby would also not want to have to whack them or whatever either). I thought of the old fashioned mouse trap - I don't like hurting any creature but at least if they have to die it is over with quickly? and we would be able to retrieve the traps and bodies more easily. What to do? What to do? Any ideas anyone? How would you deal with this problem? Thanks.
You dirty rat!!!
You dirty rat!!!
  • Rbrady

I had mice this winter and didn't want to kill them either. I went to Home Depot and bought 2 plug in mice deterrent gizmos. They're called something like Victor pest deterrent and they emit a high sound which keeps mice away. I haven't seen or heard a mouse since. You can't use them if you have hamsters or ferrets but it doesn't bother dogs or cats. I have a dog and he's just been fine.

• Carole

Rbrady, thanks so much for your advice. I had not thought of this. I am not sure if there is any power points in the roof space to plug these devices in, but I can have a look. Is there any danger of these things catching fire as they are plugged into the electric and would be out of sight and out of mind as tucked away in the loft space?? We have roof insulation as well inside the loft - don't know if these plug ins would be a fire risk at all??

• Rbrady

I plugged mine in an outlet in a wall that abuts the roof space. I think the sound must travel a distance because they are gone from the cellar and the roof. Plus, these were not at all expensive. ..I got 2 for about $10.00. Plus, I've read that peppermint oil keeps them away...I don't know if that works or not. You're welcome. Good Luck

• Gail Salminen

@Carole we did have this problem in our attic. Hubby set traps with peanut butter for bait. Kept setting them until there were no more catches. We needed more insulation in the attic, so we did get one with an anti-rodent repellant in it. No problems such. But I do remember the little devils waking me up at night. Would rather get rid of them for sure (they are very productive) than have a fire start up there from them chewing through the wires. Let us know what is effective for you. We do use the mice deterrents mentioned above and haven't had any further problems in the basement either. They are inexpensive and effective from deterring mice from entering, just not sure they will get them out of the house once they have nested???

• Carole

Rbrady - thanks so much for the info. I checked and no power points in the loft area that I can see or get to. Gail, thanks for the information. I did go today to the hardware store and bought some rat traps (pretty sure by the size of the droppings that they are rats and not mice). I also dropped off at the supermarket to buy peanut butter! I guess at least this way we can see if we catch anything. I heard that you have to put out plenty of traps as they are quite intelligent creatures and will soon wise up to seeing others get caught in the traps so best hit the problem with multiple traps. I bought 8. I know what prolific breeders they are! Will see what happens. Poor hubby will be setting them tonight and I think he will have to deal with the outcome! Not pleasant, but better than them chewing the electric wires in the roof and causing a fire!

• Gail Salminen

@Carole about the mice deterrent devices, they don't have to be in the actual space where the mice are living. You can put them on the floor below the attic. I would recommend they be outside of the house as well, such as in the garage and outdoor outlets. That will deter them from wanting to enter.

• Carole

Thanks Gail. I think I will buy a couple of these as well to deter any from coming back after we manage to rid ourselves of this lot! I have two power outlets in the garage, so might put one in the garage, and perhaps one in another area of the house. I was just saying to my hubby that we have set the traps (all 8 of them) and may find we don't catch a thing! Will definitely try the high frequency devices too. I cannot think that setting traps every time we see a bit of mouse or rat pooh is going to be much fun at all - not for the rats or mice or for us having to dispose of all the bodies! It may also deter any possums from entering the roof space. Would hate to catch one of those in a trap - especially as they are protected over here! No possum pooh in the roof at present, just the rat pooh.

• DORLIS

HELPS TO HAVE SOME CATS, LIKE MY HARLEY

• The best long term way of ridding mice and other rodents is the exclude them. www.thebugstore.net There are a variety of product you can use. Walk the exterior and look for entry points. Mice will chew the bottom corners of your garage door gaskets. Check to see if you have gnaw marks at the bottom/side area. Use a little tin from the hardware store or you can purchase a pre-made product from www.thebugstore.net and crimp in on to the rubber gasket. They will not be able to chew in/through the tin. Use steel wool or better yet, copper mesh (doesn't leave rust stains) to stuff up holes around the home. Look around utility lines where they enter the home. Also check the garage itself. Mice are excellent climbers. Any holes that go from the garage to the house are entry points. If you have a bird feeder, keep in mind it's also a mouse feeder. The population of mice will increase dramatically with the amount of food they have access to.

• Jlj8260515

Mix one cup lime and one cup corn meal in an old bowl very well. Then place small foil pie tins with this mixture with a thin layer of “cornmeal” over the top where ever you have rodents. They love cornmeal and will eat down into the lime mixture. This will not kill any other animals. I use this on our ranch.

• Jennifer Oaks

I've heard of a lot of homemade solutions. Never anything having to do with Lime... which leaves me to ask, Why Lime?

• DORLIS

They usually come in during rainy times or extremely hot days. I have 4 cats who catch them once they are in. You can also spray peppermint oil and water (about 3 drops in a small spray bottle). They do not like mint.