Build a Corner Bookcase Using a Door

$100

Want to build a corner bookcase? How about one using an old door? I have created several projects using old doors with my latest being this corner bookcase! It is much easier than you think and is so inexpensive. I used scrap plywood for the shelves, as well as 1x2 lumber ripped from a 1x6 which makes it a whole lot cheaper!
Before... A solid wood door I purchased at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore! It was already a gorgeous shade of brown and just needed to be sanded.
After cutting and staining... I cut the door in half lengthwise on my table saw (with a helper, of course!) then drilled pocket holes in the back of one piece and put it back together in an "L" shape using pocket hole screws.
When attaching the shelf frame pieces, I like to use spacers that way I can make sure every frame piece is evenly spaced and located correctly!
The completed frames before the shelves were installed...
Here is a closeup of the painted shelves and the small plate (which is actually part of a cast iron hook) I used to cover the hole for the knob.
Success! I built frames for each shelf attaching them with glue and brad nails, then cut and attached the shelves. I painted the shelves and frames with a grey paint in a similar hue to the stain on the door.

Cher @ Designs By Studio C

• KC

Did you have to make pocket holes? Would entering through the bottom piece into the top piece of the L with the screws not also work?

• Shuganne

KC, I checked out her blog. She uses the pocket holes to attach one half of the door to the other. Her door was 1 3/8" wide (I may be remembering the dimension incorrectly) but using that guestimate, she cut the doors not equally in half but 1 3/8" larger on one side, so that half could stand behind the smaller side and look even. I wondered why the center back looked so narrow! It also cut 1 3/8" off the shelves, so with my suggestion, you could have deeper shelves. It's your choice in your construction, but it's an option to consider.

• Lindaor Jerry Don Henry

When you cut the door in half--how did you make it fit together so perfectly? What does the back of the door look like?

• Shuganne

Did you check out her blog? It shows how she attached them together and it really looks sturdy! Check my comment above for another option. I'm not saying my suggestion is better: more like, we're all DIYers and half the fun is in learning new techniques and then learning when n how you can break the rules.

• Shuganne

You didn't mention the glass door in the bottom. How cool! (My son would have commandeered this as a jail for his 'Army guys’.) How did you build and attach that?