Julie Briggs
Julie Briggs
  • Syracuse, NY

Boho Style DIY Mandala Wall Hanging

I had a revelation recently that farmhouse decor just isn’t my thing. Once I stopped fighting it, I embraced a more eclectic and bohemian vibe in my house and I'm totally digging the results. After I gave my sunroom an inexpensive update, I turned my attention to the living room. One of my goals there was to replace a set of seashell prints I’ve had for years with something with a little more boho flavor, so I decided to create a DIY mandala wall hanging.
boho style diy mandala wall hanging, crafts, how to, painting, wall decor
I had a matching set up seashell prints hanging in my living room:
They weren't bad, but they were kind of vanilla and I was ready for a change. I ordered a mandala style stencil from Etsy.
I used leftover paint to stencil the design onto a piece of 4'x4' birch plywood that I stained with Minwax Puritan Pine.
It was pretty easy, other than being stressed out about getting the design centered on the wood. :-)
I finished it off with a simple frame made with 1" x 3" pine boards.
For all the details on how I did it (including all my dumb mistakes!), head over to my blog.
Julie Briggs

• Marguerite Shipley

That is great! It really warms the room! Does this stencil have a name or mood it is designed to invoke?

• Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

I like it! I need a few big stencils like that. Do you remember which Etsy store you used?

The project looks pretty quick and easy... and way more interesting than the same shells. Good job. 👍🏻❤️

• Melissa

I have recently started doing some stenciling and I was wondering how you get yours looking so clean? I have tried sponges, foam dabbers, the brushes that say they are specifically for stenciling even and it always runs under he stencil. I do make sure to dab off extra paint but even with doing that it still comes out all muddy looking with no edges. Would love any advice!

• JCA

Despite dobbing off extra paint, you still have too much paint on your brush. This is a dry-brushing technique - take what appears to be all the paint off the brush by dabbing into a sponge (I twist it into the sponge too to get more off) - the brush should barely be wet after dobbing. If the colour is too light or too uneven because of the little paint on your brush, you can go over it again before removing the stencil. Also, work from the outside of each cut-out to the middle using a pouncing motion, or once you have some experience, using a circular motion. It is also critical that your stencil is perfectly flat against the surface, so use removeable glue (a spray on adhesive that leaves no residue), or fabric basting spray. I just use painter's tape at the corners, but you have to be sure to get the stencil very flat. Also, it is critical that your stencil is clean, so if reusing it, make sure it is completely clean of paint etc. so that the edges of the cutouts will lay flat. You can also stencil with a very dense sponge, but I would recommend a stencil brush. And you can do it with any kind of paint - my favourites are acrylic craft paint and regular wall paint. Personally I don't like using the stencil paint that is like a crayon - I find it too hard to move it around the stencil properly, it is expensive, seems to be hard on my stencil brushes, and the colours are limited. Hope that all helps.