Paint Mason Jars Easily With Less Mess

Painting or tinting jars can be pretty sloppy work, but with our great tips you will learn not only how to paint mason jars easily but with very little mess! VIEW ALL PHOTOS & COMPLETE DIRECTIONS HERE
Supplies
VIEW ALL PHOTOS & COMPLETE DIRECTIONS HERE
Mod Podge
Food Coloring
Mason Jars
Plastic cups, 9 oz.
Plastic spoons
The only other thing you might need is a little water for thinning out the mixture.
Pour 1/4 cup Mod Podge into a 9 oz plastic cup.
Add as much food coloring as you like. The more you add the darker the tint. Mix thoroughly and add a small amount of water if the mixture is too thick. You want it the consistency of a nice gravy.
Pour into your jar. FYI the color after they are completed will be quite different than what they look like before drying. You'll see several pictures of that on our site post.
Turn the jar, spreading the mixture. Dump out the excess.
Set the jars into a preferably clean 9oz plastic cup Let these drain for a couple hours.
At this point you can let them literally drain for days till they turn opaque. SPEED METHOD: Place them on foil in a 200 degree oven for about 1 to 1 1/2 hour until they turn translucent, checking every 20-30 minutes or so.

Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Nancy at Craft Your Happiness

• Jennie Lee
    Jennie Lee

Just to clarify, I think you meant to say the painted jars start out almost opaque and become translucent when baked, right? Your finished product is very pretty.

• Gail Cooley
      Gail Cooley

MODGGE PODGE NOW COMES IN DISHWASHER SAFE. I JUST GOT MINE FROM AMAZON. IT DOES TAKE 28 DAYS TO "CURE"ALREADY HAVE COATED A CERAMIC BOWL WITH IT.I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO CURE...

• Luann Willingham
    Luann Willingham

When put in oven for 1-1 1/2 hours. Do you really have to check on them every 2 minutes? Thanks

• Nikki
    Nikki

Can the jars be used for food afterwards?

• Tina Ansardi
      Tina Ansardi

I saw on another site that said to never use them for food or drinks after tinting. Only use for crafting. I hope that helps

• Lottie Crafts
    Lottie Crafts

I used equal amounts of acrylic paint and tacky glue with enough water to make the mixture loose. As you may acrylic craft paint and tacky glue is thick. I just rolled the jar around until the paint mixture covered the entire inside. And put the jars upside down on a old bakers rake to drain the extra out. Allowed to dry and whala reusable pumpkins I’ve been using for several years. For jack o lanterns I used painters tape cut into shapes for eyes and mouths attached to the inside of the jar then added the paint and learned the hard way to gently remove by picking at the tape with an exacto knife while the paint is still damp not wet but still tacky.

• Lottie Crafts
    Lottie Crafts

My apothecary window at Halloween. That was my first try at about 2 years ago. I may give it another try this year.