Coffee Table Made From Leftover Fence Boards

$60
1 Day

I am a DIY addict!!! There, I said it!!! The only problem I can find with that statement though, is that I'm always craving change in my decor and always looking for the 'better piece' of furniture I could make.
With that said, I have had 3 formal living room coffee tables in our new house and we've only been here one year. I couldn't seem to find the right fit.
coffee table made from leftover fence boards, fences, painted furniture
But then I got an idea from Pinterest (of course) I saw what looked like an old reclaimed wood coffee table in a picture about Sherwin Williams paint. So of course there was no info on the piece. But, as I always do, I thought "I could totally make that!!!"
It had gorgeous bun feet and huge black nail heads. So I looked online until I found some nailheads at DIYUpholstrysupply. I ordered them right away!!!
Next I ordered some gorgeous bun feet from Home Depot. The Pinterest table had gorgeous bun feet.
Next I took 4 pallet boards and multiple fence boards sanded them pretty smooth with first 150 grit, then 220. Then started painting them white. 1 thin coat is all you need. You can use chalk paint or latex it doesn't matter (chalk paint just dries faster).
Next I sanded the paint mostly off, but left some, only enough to see some of the wood grain.
Next I took my favorite kona stain and coated the board and quickly rubbed it off so it only gave it a grey weathered look
Next I started assembling it all together
Trying to make sure I assemble the base the perfect width for the boards I'm prepping.
As you can see I used a bracing corner bracket to give the corners an industrial look. They come silver and you can get them in the cabinet hardware section of Home Depot. I just spray painted mine with hammered black spray paint.
Once I started trying to figure out how I wanted the base and the bun feet to look, I realized that it would be WAY too low for me.
So I picked up these beauties from HD and stained them the same way!
Once I got it all together, I spent the rest of the evening (and into the early morning.... Cuz you know, I'm obsessed with it) and hand drilled each hole an 8th of an inch so that I could then hammer the nails the rest of the way in with my rubber mallet!
I used a wood glue on the boards, but the nail heads were actually long enough that they went into the base, making it even more secure.
And there you have it!!! I've had this table for a year now (which is nearly a century for my time) and I have no interest in changing it what so ever. This is one of the few pieces I'll keep for quite a while!
Below is my HomeTalk live segment featured on Facebook. If you are interested in making this table, this IS the best tutorial. It should answer all your questions for building it. Plus in the comment section, HomeTalk has provided links for the finish tutorial and where to buy the nailheads!
Happy DIYing!!! :)

Cedar fence boards and wood legs

• Mar4826968

Luuuv this!! Actually prefer the taller legs you ultimately went with! Curious as to why you used both pallet & fence wood? Could I just use one or the other? Also~ need a more narrow table do you think anything would be lost in translation? Nail heads are fab! Thanks for inspiring & sharing!

• Madison McGahan

Thank you!! The table that was my inspiration was much narrower, so I say yeah! Go for it! Also the pallet boards I used each had a groove along one side, and I loved the detail. So that's the only reason. Just artistic flair, no other reason :) If I can find the original table, I'll post it so you can see, instead of trying to duplicate it, I used it as inspiration

• Madison McGahan

Found it!!! I loved the color, the bun feet, and the nail heads

• Janet B

Love it!!!!!

• Sea Dragon

I'm going to make this, it's awesome thanks so much for sharing. You have inspired me. 😄

• Madison McGahan

Yay!!! I'm so happy to hear that!!!

• Vicky

The original looks like it was a coffee table , but I really love both.

• Wowhavs

I see a couple UPC tags on the top boards. Did you buy some of the boards?

• Madison McGahan

All of the boards were leftover boards that were purchased a few years ago. They've been sitting in my wood pile in our garage. The tags you see were on the boards I hadn't yet started, but they all had those tags on to start with

• Harmony Elizabeth

Hi, love this!! Can you post a pic showing the rest of the room? Would love to see the surrounding decor and size of room. Thanks got sharing your DIY!!

• Shirley

This table is beautiful! Would u say this was a "beginner", "skilled" or "anyone can do it" project? I'm not really great with tools!

• Madison McGahan

Hmm, I probably would not attempt this as a novice. I used a skill saw, a miter saw, a sander, a nail gun, and a drill to make this from the start. You could however get your lumber store to cut your wood for you. Then it would just be a matter of putting it together.

• JUDY

Love it! What size are the nail heads?

• JUDY

What size are the upholstery nails or do you have the item number?

• Madison McGahan

They are the low dome 1.5 inch flat black. I usually get a big bag cuz I love using them on lots of pieces I make here are a couple of examples.

• JUDY

Love it Great Looks!Thank you !

• Eliza Spear

If they are nails why did you have to drill before hammering them in? Can't you just hammer them?

• Madison McGahan

Yes you can, but the nails are long and the boards are soft, so sometimes when you hammer them in ( I only use a rubber mallet) they can go sideways on you. So I drill a little first so that they are securewhen I hit them in with my mallet.

• Ang5659525

Can you post the measurements? Also what did you use for the frame or base or the table? When you applied the loan stain did you apply with brush or rag then wipe off? Sorry for all the questions but I'm doing this in a few days and I want to get it right.

• Madison McGahan

The board length is 48" and I used 8 boards so it was close to squared. For the base I used 4 wood blocks and I attached the bottom boards ( 44" in length) to the blocks creating a square. Then attached the legs to the bottom of each block. Then the 48" boards I attached to the top.

• Debbie

Do you take orders to make this table. I'm moving into a new house and that is exactly what I'm looking for. My building skills are not worth a darn. And my hubby is useless when comes to anything like that.

• Madison McGahan

I wouldn't mind doing another one, this was fun. I'd have to figure out shipping, but sure :)

• Madison McGahan

So I looked into shipping. The only affordable way to make that happen is if I make all the boards for the table and get them finished and drill holes for the screws then ship it to you and have you assemble it. Otherwise it would cost you a fortune for me to ship it to you

• Shelly Kish McAughren

If she lives in BC and is really serious about it, she can do a road trip! You did an amazing job Madison! It is beautiful:-)

• Julia Martens

Beautiful work.

• Patty

Absolutely beautiful piece!

• So, what would it cost to have a entryway table like this made and I could put it together? I live in Richland, WA

• Vintageless.usa

I have an Etsy shop and have shipped large, heavy items using busfreighter.com. It ships on greyhound bus and it is waaaaay cheaper than UPS, FedEx or USPS. Check it out, may be worth your time.

• Madison McGahan

Shannon I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to figure out to make it easy to put together. How far is Richland WA from Covington?

• You are about 3 1/2 hrs from me....Maybe I need to give it a shot myself!

• Madison McGahan

I added my HomeTalk live video to show you step by step how to make it. All you would need to do is to get longer legs (they have gorgeous table legs at Home Depot) and add a board down the center underneath to brace it. Trust me, you can do this!!! Have the Home Depot cut the wood for you, and message me if you have questions. I'' happy to help you through it. :)

• Kristie Abrahamson

where do you order the nails?

• Kelley Ann

What was the width of the top boards that you used? Ordered my upholstery nails tonight and gonna try the project this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Madison McGahan

They are 5.5" wide and I used 8 of them. Good luck, and make sure to post pictures!!!

• Madison McGahan

I will be making this table live on the Hometalk Facebook page soon, so make sure to like their page!

• Kimmie

The table looks AMAZING!!! The brown tray in the PIN it photo used as the centerpiece...did you make it too or was it purchased? ?

• Alice

Love the table!!! Its awesome. I am making it for my daughter but i am having trouble finding the upholstery nails?? I went to the web site you listed but they dont have 1.5 inch low dome flat black nails?? Am I just missing them? Please help

• Alice

Hi love the table!! I am going t make this but what size are the 4 braces that you used? are they from the pallets? could I use the same wood as the fence post? like the same width? ...thanks!!!

• Madison McGahan

Yes you can use fence boards. One the first table I made I used pallets, but on the later tables I made ai just used fence boards that had been cut down the center. So they were just under 3" wide.

• Alice

I love your table....loved it so much I made it for my daughter for Christmas. She absolutely loved it. I also love the tray could you list the dimensions and what wood and trim you used to make it? I would love to make that as well! Thank you

• Madison McGahan

Omg that's AWESOME!!! I hope you'll take pictures and post them I'd love to see your creations . The tray is actually made of pretty much the same boards and some leftover wood trim I had in my garage . The tray bottom is 20 inches long and I used three boards. I have two pieces of trim that are also 20 inches long and two pieces that are 12.5 inches long. I painted the entire thing black and on the tray bottom I added one layer of crackle medium. When that dried I used a very light taupe color over the top and then a stencil that I got from Etsy . And a layer of paste wax to finish it. The handles I got online from Hobby lobby . Please post pictures I'd love to see what you come up with !!!

• Lori B

What kind of saw did you use? I am looking at a mitre saw to make frames for my artwork, hoping that would work for this kind of project, too.

• Channy Bennett

How did u get the nails off from the pallet

• Madison McGahan

I use a sawzall to cut them from the pallets then just take them out with pliers.

• Mandy Katz

My DIY experienced husband laughed when I bought him a sawzall. Compared to the rest of his power tools it looked like a toy. So now every time he finds yet another use for that toy, I remind him who discovered it.

• Cynthia

Hi, I watched the video... but I didn't see the link for the paint for the "restored" look. Can you add the link. I would love to try my first project! :)

• Madison McGahan

Hi Cynthia,
      If you go to my profile (just click on my name or picture) you can find my projects. In there I have one titled "easy aged wood finish" and that is a tutorial on how to get the look. It's super easy. If you have problems seeing it, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to send you the link.
      Madison

• Cynthia

thankyou!!
      If everything turns out pics to come! :)

• Madison McGahan

Oh good, I look forward to seeing them!

• Margaret L Maness

Did you use treated wood?

• Bambi

Absolutely beautiful!! My question though is where did you get the two serving trays in the photos. There are beautiful as well. Did you make either or both of them or were they purchased. Both nice but I really like the white one.

• Carol Cole

why didn't you use wood glue?

• Melody

Outstanding! Can you tell me the dimensions of the table? I was wondering if it could be not so wide.

• Madison McGahan

I had thought I had posted the dimensions, sorry! I just went and measured it, it’s 42”x 42” and 16” tall. You can make it whatever diameter you want though. I made one for my girlfriends house using an old coffee table Base I found, and this top and made it 38”x38” to fit her living room. If you make one, be sure to post pictures :)

• Melody

Thank you...

• Cynthia

Hi, which website did you use for the DADS nails? I see the link above for Amazon, but they are the same as your video. If I can find them for $ 30 like you mentioned that would be ideal! I am finally finished with my table and now awaiting the beautiful details. =)

• Crystal Price Moncrief

Hi, my name is Crystal and I am a DIY addict 😂 I Love This! I have been looking for a piece of furniture to repurpose for the space behind my sofa. I am going to try and make a taller version of this! Love It!!!

• Crystal Price Moncrief