Donna Powell
Donna Powell
  • Seymour, TN

Painted Pinecone Sunflower Wreath

This is a great project to use some of the small pinecones that fall in my yard each year.
painted pinecone sunflower wreath, crafts, wreaths
The first step for any project using pinecones is to soak them in a vinegar and water solution and then bake them in a 200 degree oven for about two hours to clean the pinecones and to kill any bug eggs and mold that may be in the pinecones.
Using acrylic craft paints, I painted lots of these little pinecones in different shades of yellow. When you think you have done enough for your wreath size, paint about 20 more because you are going to need them.
Then you just start hot gluing the pinecones to the wire wreath form. To be able to create the sunflower look for this wreath, I first glued a 10" paper plate to the back of the wreath form to be able to create the center section of the sunflower. Next I added burlap ribbon in loops to the back of the wreath for the leaves.

• Acrylic paints  (Michaels)
  • 12" Wire Wreath Form  (Walmart)
  • Small wire to make a hanger  (Walmart)
Donna Powell

• Lin8547654

I have small fir cones, recently dropped and they are still closed. Will they work for this after soaking , then drying in the oven?

• Lin8547654

Thank you, Dee, I picked some a couple of weeks ago, and they opened while in a bag in the garage. No bug, no seeds. But then I thought. Wow.. It's pretty and a nice idea, but I'll make a softer type/style of wreath for our front door. I hope the weather warms up just a bit for you, nice enough for an autumn walk, anyway :)

• PAT

About what size pine cones did you use and about how many did it take?

• Joann Belcher

What time of year do pinecones drop or are ready to pick off the tree? I live in CA.

• Bonnie

Beautiful

• Elm10844554

Love this idea - am making one for my friend who loves pine cones. She will love it for Christmas, but can display it all year round