Lizz - Red - Redzz Redos!
Lizz - Red - Redzz Redos!
  • North Salt Lake, UT

Tails Never Fails End Table.

I found an old wood end table that needed a re-do. Pennies!
tails never fails end table , repurposing upcycling
I started by gluing down a layer of pennies all tails up. I'm a little OCD, they also had to all face the same direction.
Here's a close up. I also bent each penny by hand to fit the curved edge. I didn't like seeing the wood between the pennies though. What do I do to fix that?
Second layer of pennies would remedy that problem. Yes I kept them all tails up and facing the same direction again.
I was happy with how it turned out. Time to clean those pennies and make them shine.
This was a process. I used multiple products to polish. Brasso, not bad but stinky. Rubbing compound and a Dremel with a polishing wheel, better but compound had to be picked out of crevices. Finally a paste made from Bar Keepers Friend & warm water & a good rub with a clean microfiber cloth.
Can you see my reflection in the bottom left corner taking a picture of my polishing prowess? Lol
Sanded down and stained the frame and legs. Went for a stain with orange tones to match the copper of the pennies.
Finished it off with a coat of my favorite. Glaze Coat. Self leveling and great for preserving whatever lies underneath it. Love the glossy, wet look it gives the top.
Ooohhh, aaahhh, Shiny. I love this pic because of the reflection it leaves on the wall. This is totally dry & ready for use.
Close up of curved edge detail. That's it, my tails never fails end table. For those who might be wondering??? I said I have a little OCD earlier in the post. Yes, I used 1392 pennies on the top. I had to know!

• Loctite Construction adhesive, Bar Keepers Friend powder, Glaze Coat  (Lowes)

• Donna Sheppard

What a great design! I have just the end table for this project. Does the completed table top stain from water or other liquids eg red pop, etc? Thanks for sharing your work!
    • Lizz - Red - Redzz Redos!

Thanks Donna! I haven't had any problem with staining from water, soda, really anything. In fact the manufacturer of the product I used suggests you only clean it with a mild dish soap & water. Chemicals in the cleaners may have an adverse effect to the coating. Hope this helps. Good luck on your project. Make sure you post it so we all see how it turns out!

• Lad5483840

How did you curve the pennies?
    • Lizz - Red - Redzz Redos!

Hi Ladonna,
      Well to bend the pennies I looked to where the penny would hit the end of the table and then took two pairs of pliers wrapped in that carpet grip product and wrapped that with an old rag, so to not mar the pennies. Then used my super woman strength. I will tell you that it works for pennies, but I'm doing a nickel table right now and that strength just doesn't work on the nickels. I happen to have a vice on my work bench (if you have one) I lined the vice with the same carpet grip product. Lined the end of my hammer with tons of tape and a old rag and marked with a sharpie on the bottom of the nickel where the bend needed to be. Clamped into the vice right on the line and smacked a couple of times with the hammer into a perfect bend. Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun
  • Peggie Prillaman

What is best to use to clean the pennies?& would it be easier to clean them before doing the table?

• Lizz - Red - Redzz Redos!

Hi Peggie, this is what worked best for me, a paste made from Bar Keepers Friend & warm water & a good rub with a clean microfiber cloth. It really depends on what type of finish you’re going for. I wanted them as clean as possible. I knew that it would be tedious to sit and individually clean & polish each penny. Plus the first layer didn’t need the same excel of cleaning since they are mostly covered m. With the top layer all glued down I figured it would be quicker and I could clean more pennies at a time ping it after I placed them. Good Luck and enjoy your project.