Banishing the Boring Narrow Hallway

$150

Earlier this year I did a post on stenciling my boring white hall. It is very narrow with multiple doors. I did not want to do the typical thing of hanging family pictures and the hall is too narrow for furniture or even shelves. To add interest, I decided to stencil the upper half and my sweet Hubs did 'faux' panels on the bottom. Finally, I found three metal pieces to decorate the walls. Please let me know what you think. I just added the final piece, a wire basket to the door at the end of the hall. Please go to the end of this post to see the updated 'After' picture.

Plain white hallway--boring!!

The door at the end was left blank for a long time. I finally found the right piece for it. See it at the end of this post.

Transformed with Stencil and Paint.

Through the magic of stenciling and paint, it became a lot more interesting. Here is the link to the original post which gives a little more detail on how we did the faux panels: http://www.hometalk.com/12167115/painting-ste...

Thrift Store Metal Pieces as art.

My hall is narrow, so it is difficult to get a good shot, but you can see the three pieces that now decorate the hall. I wanted open and airy metal pieces so that I did not block the stencil--(because I worked so dang hard on it!) Please notice the builder grade light that was in the original post and see the new fixture (at the end of this updated post) that we made from a flea market find.

Now for the fun part. I found my first metal piece at an outdoor junk stand while we were traveling. It is gorgeous and is one of my favorite pieces in our entire house. I live in a split level and this is the first thing you see as you get to the top of the stairs. (You can see my kitchen to the left.)

This is the view from the other direction.

Next, I found this fireplace screen-again while traveling. We removed the screening from the back using a Dremel saw to cut all the soldered tack points. Then we removed the feet and painted it.

Here is the painted screen now -- it reminds me of grasses that might grow beside a pond.

Finally found the third piece--another fireplace screen. Again, Hubs removed the screening and we painted it.

I use this screen to disply Christmas Cards, birthday cards, and seasonal pictures of my grown children and grandchildren. For example, I will clip pictures of my (now grown) children in their Halloween costumes from 30 years ago along with their children (now) in their costumes; or Easter outfits, or snow pictures. Even when it is left plain, it is still interesting since it has a bowed shape and doesn't just lie flat on the wall.

Metal 1920's Lampshade

Many, many wonderful Hometalkers suggested we get rid of the builder grade light fixture. We found this (very heavy) metal lampshade at a flea market. I loved the patina and Hubs said he could convert it into a ceiling fixture. Score!!

We took a black plastic ceiling medallion and sprayed multiple coats of paint until it matched the metal shade. Hubs figured out a way to attach the shade through the medallion (You can tell which one of us is the engineer in the family!) and we added an Edison bulb.

The Edison Bulb gives a beautiful sparkle. (Yes we have popcorn ceilings, but such is life. They have been painted over and contain asbestos, so there will be no scraping them off.)

Completed Hall with Updated Light

Well, friends, what do you think?? I now love my "new" (40 year old) hall and the one-of-a-kind light fixture that my brilliant Hubs helped me create. Improvement over the before fixture, yes?

Final Touch-Metal Basket on Door

After a lot of indecision, I finally decided to add one more touch-a metal basket mounted on the door at the end of the hall. That blank door really bugged me and now my hall is complete!

Close up of wire basket.

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized

• Leah
    Leah

Please, where did you find the wind swept tree?

• Nancy
      Nancy

Keep your eyes open whenever you are out and about - here in NJ we are still restricted, so my hunting is done online for now. Check 'free' listings on craigslist. You may not find this exact one, but you should find a nice one eventually. I found a beautiful birds on branches themed fireplace screen several years ago on clearance in a Kohls store for only $20. The thrill of the hunt! Good luck!

• Cinamom
    Cinamom

I have a hallway such as this & ANYTHING that is put on the walls tends to get knocked out of place in a matter of time! If I screw anything to the sidewalls it tends to catch clothing, ect. And all that stuff just makes the hallway look smaller. My daughter suggested color blocking. Where I could paint one wall a darker color & if I wanted to I could stencil a side wall. Not sure if I want to try since I like your idea of stenciling the top part of the wall. So maybe I'll paint a chair rail(or stencil one) and put a darker color below? She also mentioned putting sconces on the walls for lighting, they are too high to hit when someone goes down the hall & yet add interest.

• Judi
      Judi

As you stencil the upper wall block out squares and stencil a stand alone stencil inside. You might even put picture frame molding around it.

• Kelly
    Kelly

What color grey is that you used on top for stencil and bottom?

• Debi53
      Debi53

Sorry for the delay, I just now saw your question. The color is Sherwin Williams March Wind.

• Lyn
    Lyn

Looks fantastic! That "new" light fixture really shows off the walls!!!!

• Vera
    Vera

I was just wondering about the stencil you showed and the one you used. Are they the same stencil? Love your work. It’s gorgeous.

• Debi53
      Debi53

Thank you so much for your lovely compliment. The stencil I used is: Verona Tile Wall and Floor Stencil. I got it at Hobby Lobby. I bought 2 so that I could cut one up to go near the ceiling and around the doors. This is the only stencil I used.