Dollar Store Halloween Mummy Decor

$0

Every year, I start fall with sweet and innocent intentions of DiYing some fall decor. But usually right after I finish my first fall project, all of a sudden I find myself busy with Halloween preparations. This year again, I was determined to DiY some more fall decor, and I thought this frame would be the perfect place to start.
I found it last year at Hobby Lobby’s discount aisle. 90% off! What a deal, right? This past weekend, when I saw this frame in the basement, I wanted use it for a cinnamon-stick pumpkin project I had in mind. I even started painting the frame with my homemade chalk paint in old white color. But then, while waiting for the first coat of paint to dry, the cute fall decor idea just disappeared, and instead all I could think of was Halloween again. Although, how that happened or what got into me is still a big mystery, some say it was this Dollar Store mummy door knocker I found under the bag of cinnamon sticks, and and some say it was the “inspirational” eerie pumpkin pictures Greg kept sending me for my cute pumpkin project! LOL
Regardless of how I got inspired, the plan had changed, so I washed the white chalk paint off of the frame. Then I painted it with 2 coats of black chalk paint (Americana Decor).
After the frame was painted, I gathered all the materials I needed for my mummy art: a 1/4 inch board cut to the frame’s size, some cheesecloth, the Dollar Store mummy door knocker, flat black spray paint, a pair of scissors, Mod Podge, and some gray, white and black craft paint. First, I started working on the mummy. I broke its hook off and took the knocker apart.
Then I prepared the background board by giving it two quick coats of spray paint in flat black color.

After the paint dried, I took the board inside and worked on the cheesecloth. I cut the cheesecloth into different length strips. Then, I cut them in half to have narrower strips.
Next, I folded each strip into two, so I would have even narrower strips, but with 4 layers of cheesecloth on each.... You can find rest of the tutorial at TheNavagePatch.com

What do you think? Creepy, isn’t he? Did you know “the most perfect” method of mummification involved fragrant herbs and spices? According to the notes of Herodotus, the Father of History, after cleansing with palm wine and an infusion of herbs and spices, the abdominal cavity would be filled with “every other sort of spice except frankincense” to preserve the body. Hence the choice of the fragrant herbs in the photo staging.

I have to say I love him. He even got Greg’s (aka the Creepmaster) approval!
Here are some more beauty shots with Halloweeny staging.
Unfortunately I couldn't fit all the process pictures. But you can find all that and further details of this little project on our blog post.

I hope you liked my Dollar Store Mummy Decor. If so, I think you will also like my magical floating potion bottle.
Now that is pretty cool, isn't it?

This floating bottle is also as easy as the Dollar Store Mummy Decor and makes a great conversation piece! All the kids in your neighborhood will be wondering how you made this potion bottle float ;-)
Thank you for reading and happy crafting!

Handan, xo

• Paint
  • Frame

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Carolyn Merriman

I'm curious about the cinnamon pumpkin project, have you posted it anywhere?

• Hello Lyn, Mod Podge is simple craft glue which has varnishing qualities in it. Something like Decopatch glue varnish they sell in the UK. Both brands (Mod Podge and Decopatch) are sold on Amazon.co.uk, so if you search with the brand names on Amazon.co.uk you can also read the reviews on both of these products.

• Lisa Sinclair

Your floating bottle looks like it's illuminated, in the picture, but there's no mention of lights in the instructions. Is this just because of the cobwebs?

• Linda Brown

Love the mummy but what did you do with the rest of the knocker! BTW i made the floating bottle and the candles last year the kids loved them.