Adding Character With Decorative Vent Covers

While we love our air conditioning in the South, floor vents and air return vents can be eye sores which take away from the beauty of a room. Most homes come with builder grade vents which are plain, boring, and will often rust over time. However, this is a quick and easy fix that takes no skill at all.
I'm currently in the middle of painting my kitchen cabinets and have been sharing some of the progress pictures on the blog. Since that project is slow going, I thought I would share some of the other updates we have done to the kitchen and rest of the house. Here you can see a builder grade air return vent that's right next to my kitchen cabinets. The metal was warped and never closed properly plus it's just kind of plain and boring!
There are a total of 4 vents along two walls of the eat in kitchen and they were rusty when we moved in.
After painting the walls a fresh Creme Brûlée with white wainscoting, we updated the vent covers and air vent returns. Both of these come in a variety of designs, finishes, and prices.
I love the difference our Fancy Vents has made in each room. Instead of being an eye sore, they now add a touch of class and character to each room. For more info on the vents and my kitchen cabinet makeovers please check out the blog!

• LISA

Where did you purchase the supplies for the updated vent cover

• Luz

Where did you get the vent covers from?

• Susan Branson Jacobs

Hi, I am looking to have white wood built in cabinets that are 14" in depth about about 32" in height and 4' wide with two doors in the front. My issue is the cabinet would cover a standard size vent that starts 6" from the ground for heat and airconditioning. I was thinking of using lattice on the center of the doors to let the air out. What are your thoughts? Also, if you have tips where to buy it that would be great. Thanks

• Judy Marr

I replaced those old floor grates with the cast iron ones shown, the others are very cheap and actually will cave in with weight going over them, my son's wheelchair actually fell through the one I had in my bathroom and that's when I went and bought the cast iron ones that are much easier on the eyes and safer for everyone.
  • Sandra

I would love for this to be a craft project versus purchasing them - Perhaps someone can create the look
    • David chenoweth

when you replace grilles and registers you may and will close up the free flow area and reduces air flow. md. hvac contractor.