Craft Creepy Mummy Hands for Just $1

$1

Halloween decorations! I can never decide which holiday is my favorite, but Halloween is definitely at the top. Like I've said before, I love decorating for it. This project is easy, scary, and will look amazing in your yard on Halloween. It just uses masking tape, a thick straw, and a glow stick. Since we give out glow sticks on Halloween, I already had these on hand, but otherwise, all of your materials are probably sitting in your home. We use the mummy hands on our front lawn, and they really look like they are popping out of the dirt! Step 1: Lay the Straw on Your Hand
I laid a straw on the inside of my friend's hand (with her palm facing up). This leaves some space so you can cut off the tape at the end. I used my friend's hand for this project, but if you're talented (and ambidextrous), you can use your own hand. Step 2: Tape the First Layer (Sticky-Side Up)
Wrap a layer of tape around your hand inside out, with the sticky side up. This way the tape won't stick to your hands (or else it will never come off).

I started with the wrist and then moved up the palm. I ripped the tape into a bunch of pieces to make it easier for me to handle them, instead of one continuous piece. This might make it easier for you.
Then I wrapped the fingers, which is the hardest part. You have to get in between the fingers and make sure everything stays that way. (I usually have to touch them up afterwards, and I'll show you how below.) Step 3: Add a Second Layer of Tape (Sticky-Side Down)
The second layer is put on with sticky-side down (so the tape sticks to each other). Don’t worry if you're missing a few spots or it looks thin in some places. That will give the light from the glow sticks a place to peek out, and mummies don’t have perfect hands anyway. Wrap the tape around exactly like before making sure to get the wrist, palm, and fingers. Step 4: Cut Open the Tape Hand
Use scissors to cut open the hand. With the straw inside, it was easy for me to cut right along it and free my friend's hand.
Then slide the mummy hand off of your hand. Try not to cut the fingers while doing so. Step 5: Reseal the Tape Hand
Take a few pieces of tape and stick the hand back together. Just a few pieces are needed to finish up the hand and keep it closed. At this point, if your fingers are a little messed up, you can take some tape and wrap it around the fingers. Step 6: Add a Glow Stick to Each Hand
Then I added a glow stick inside and voila! Amazing, easy, creepy Halloween decorations.
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself

• Princess
    Princess

so creative ! what are your ideas on how to get the hand to stand up on a table? it seems like it would be falling over. thank you.
    • Jean
      Jean

a glass bottled painted white (or with the light stick 'inside' it ought to be invisible and you can just pop the 'glove' over it.

• Tina
    Tina

How can I improve this so they could be placed outdoors.
  • Linda
    Linda

How would you attach these to the ground outside? I think this is a very cute and inexpensive idea.

• Michelle
    Michelle

Love this spooky idea!! It's great.....but I'd defiantly need a "helping hand"!!!
  • Nancy
    Nancy

Why not use the glow stick instead of the straw? Would work the same.