Kammy's Korner
Kammy's Korner
  • Parma, MI

Camouflaging Damaged Wood On Dresser Top

$15

Sometimes even I cringe at the crap I pick up off the curb. This dresser was nasty with a capital N. But with a little vision and elbow grease, most things are not beyond hope!
camouflaging damaged wood on dresser top, painted furniture
I began with the top of the dresser. I knew the look I wanted - natural wood top, and black painted bottom.
But when I finally finished stripping all the paint off the top, there was this yucky little spot that I just couldn't sand off, scrape off, nada. Nothing. The more I tried the worse it got (as in the wood was soft and a greenish color and getting gouged and I was just digging myself in a deeper hole the more I tried!), but I still wanted a wood top so I decided to camouflage it!
I got a large flowered stencil and using the same black paint that was going to go on the bottom, stenciled the design across the top corner.
I put a coat a couple coats of polyurethane on top and the imperfections of the wood damage is almost completely unnoticeable now!
The black paint is a mistint that I made into chalk paint using Plaster of Paris and hot water. I loved the original hardware once it was cleaned up so I did not replace those! They shined up nicely using some Comet and a toothbrush.
Check out my blog to see more details of this dresser makeover!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 15, 2018 11:48 PM - More info
Kammy's Korner

• K238286472

where did you get the gigantic stencil? Thanks Kathy

• CK

Did you test this dresser for Lead paint?

• TeresaH

I got my parents chest of drawer from my brother who had left in a house that was taken over by mice and the smell in drawers are awful. I am planning on redoing it. Did you have problem with smell in drawers and if so what did you do to get out.. the chest of drawer is over 50 years old. The bottom drawer front is off and the basket gives me a good ideal for mine. The bottom drawer was like a cedar chest. You pulled drawer open then lifted a lid. Of all the drawers to be messed up it had to be that one.
    I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

• TeresaH

Thank yall so much.. other than the smell in drawers and the bottom drawer it is in great shape. It has been painted a few times. Planning on stripping paint and repaint with chalk paint. I also have both night stands but they are a little rougher.. my sister in law put polyurethane on top and it turned them yellow.. I have had them in my garage airing out.. the smell in drawers is the main problem.

I wished I could have gotten the rest of bedroom set but was in a basement that stood in water.

the bed had a bookcase headboard and a full size chest at foot.. I have pictures of me as a baby laying on bed and I am 57.. it will be my first try at refinishing something..

thanks for all your suggestions.

Teresa