Camouflaging Damaged Wood On Dresser Top

$15

Sometimes even I cringe at the crap I pick up off the curb. This dresser was nasty with a capital N. But with a little vision and elbow grease, most things are not beyond hope!
I began with the top of the dresser. I knew the look I wanted - natural wood top, and black painted bottom.
But when I finally finished stripping all the paint off the top, there was this yucky little spot that I just couldn't sand off, scrape off, nada. Nothing. The more I tried the worse it got (as in the wood was soft and a greenish color and getting gouged and I was just digging myself in a deeper hole the more I tried!), but I still wanted a wood top so I decided to camouflage it!
I got a large flowered stencil and using the same black paint that was going to go on the bottom, stenciled the design across the top corner.
I put a coat a couple coats of polyurethane on top and the imperfections of the wood damage is almost completely unnoticeable now!
The black paint is a mistint that I made into chalk paint using Plaster of Paris and hot water. I loved the original hardware once it was cleaned up so I did not replace those! They shined up nicely using some Comet and a toothbrush.
Check out my blog to see more details of this dresser makeover!

Kammy's Korner

• K238286472

where did you get the gigantic stencil? Thanks Kathy

• L. Creative

Maybe they show a mandala stencil in the list of materials when they meant to show a flower one?

• CK

Did you test this dresser for Lead paint?
    • Senior Chief

True, Kammy, but never take sandpaper to it! It’s the dust that are so toxic.

• TeresaH

I got my parents chest of drawer from my brother who had left in a house that was taken over by mice and the smell in drawers are awful. I am planning on redoing it. Did you have problem with smell in drawers and if so what did you do to get out.. the chest of drawer is over 50 years old. The bottom drawer front is off and the basket gives me a good ideal for mine. The bottom drawer was like a cedar chest. You pulled drawer open then lifted a lid. Of all the drawers to be messed up it had to be that one.
    I hope mine turns out as good as yours.
    • Clara Bryant Gipson

I read somewhere that a small container of fresh coffee grounds will remove smells from old furniture. Simply place a small container of fresh coffee grounds in the drawer. I've never tried it. But it might just be the remedy.

• Momo s

Another way I fixed a damaged top of a Bombay chest was to spray it with Rustoleum textured " stone" paint. Looked better than the original finish

• Marilyn

Great Job