Camouflaging Damaged Wood On Dresser Top

175K Views
Sometimes even I cringe at the crap I pick up off the curb. This dresser was nasty with a capital N. But with a little vision and elbow grease, most things are not beyond hope!
Time: 6 HoursCost: $15Difficulty: Easy
  • camouflaging damaged wood on dresser top, painted furniture
I began with the top of the dresser. I knew the look I wanted - natural wood top, and black painted bottom.
But when I finally finished stripping all the paint off the top, there was this yucky little spot that I just couldn't sand off, scrape off, nada. Nothing. The more I tried the worse it got (as in the wood was soft and a greenish color and getting gouged and I was just digging myself in a deeper hole the more I tried!), but I still wanted a wood top so I decided to camouflage it!
I got a large flowered stencil and using the same black paint that was going to go on the bottom, stenciled the design across the top corner.
I put a coat a couple coats of polyurethane on top and the imperfections of the wood damage is almost completely unnoticeable now!
The black paint is a mistint that I made into chalk paint using Plaster of Paris and hot water. I loved the original hardware once it was cleaned up so I did not replace those! They shined up nicely using some Comet and a toothbrush.
Check out my blog to see more details of this dresser makeover!
Kammy's Korner