James Bryan C
James Bryan C
  • Crab Orchard, KY

Homemade Fire Starter for Wood Stoves and Fireplaces

Many folks have a woodstoves and fireplaces or even a fire pit. Pouring gas to start a fire is dangerous and lighter fluid can be just as dangerous and has so many fumes. Store bought fire starting bricks are expensive as well. I decided to make my own. I have nearly an acre of corn and more corn cobs than you can shake a stick at... I simply cut the cobs down to 5 and a half inches long so they can fit in
Corn Cob Fire starter
Corn Cob Fire starter
Cob cut down to 5.24 inches
Cob cut down to 5.24 inches
I get about 20 to 22 per large metal coffee can
1/4 cup of lamp oil you can use any fragrance you want or not
1/4 cup olive oil causes the cob to burn longer thus igniting the tinder and getting the fire going

• Dave

dryer lint.....ask any fireman

• Jea8453126

That's a great idea we eat a lot of corn on the in season,and our whole family ,grandkids- go camping every year,all ways trying new things to seem (cool grandma for the boys) thanks love it ,ex Girl Scout mother