Penninsula and Painted Granite on Counter Tops

My large kitchen island was always in my way. I had to walk around it to get the frig.; back around it to get to the sink or stove. I hated it! BUT, it was large and had lots of storage space. It also had an electrical outlet.
I turned the electricity off; disconnected the electrical (and pushed it down under the floor via the hole it came up through); turned the cabinet next to the stove to face the breakfast area; and moved the island beside that cabinet to form a penninsula! I special-ordered a counter top to overhang and form a breakfast bar.
I had an electrician install pendant lights over the penninsula and a dimmer switch on the wall.
The problem was the penninsula counter top didn't match the other counter tops
The counter top came with an added piece underneath that I had to cut out in order for it to fit over the island and cabinet. I wasn't told it would be built that way.... Another lesson learned: I purchased SS appliances AFTER I did all of this work only to discover my new range oven handle protrudes about 1-2" farther than the old one, so I had to move the cabinet and island the the left in order to open the top drawer. Now, there's a gap between the wall and the top of the penninsula.
BTW - I installed that wainscotting myself also.
Old counter tops.
I used a Gianni Granite kit purchased at Amazon. It takes a couple days total time. The kit comes with a black practice sheet, rollers, sponges, etc.
The first step is to tape off everything and paint the black base coat.
I had more counter space than the kit would accomplish, but I made it work, except for the top coat. I did have to buy an extra can of that.
I did my bathrooms also. The kit comes with 2 colors and white that is dabbed on with a sponge (see their video). You can get very creative and make swirl/marble-like patterns. The dark is the black showing through.
Before top coat.
After the top coat.

• Gianni Granite Kit  (Amazon)
  • Frog painters tape  (Home Depot)

• Lea Swenson

It definitely can be done. Make sure it is "good one side" as then the surface is very smooth and should be free of blemishes. Be fussy at the lumberyard when picking it out. Sand if needed. Definitely use 3 coats of top coat as mentioned above. I've done a few projects on bare wood and you would not know.

• Lisa House

Beautiful