Away With the Old Butcherblock Countertop

This is a mobile home, so we did not want to spent major amounts of money, and since nothing is 'standard' size, it is near impossible to replace the countertops without replacing the actual cabinets. I wanted a quick pick-me-up to modernize without a lot f money. (Honestly, I even rather liked the counter tops in black, and that may be my next project when I get tired of these.)
I bought the kit from the
away with the old butcherblock countertop, countertops
I cleaned the counter tops really well with vinegar and soap, and then sanded lightly. Taped off, an painted the black. I left this according to instructions for drying.
I didn't bother with taking out the dishwasher, or taking off doors and drawers; simply opened the doors and drawers to get to the counter edge.
More taped areas, then doing the edging first, as instructions state.
All base coat is applied.
All three colors have been dabbed on with the sponge, which I cut up into three different pieces for the 3 different colors.
And the final result.
I was quite pleased with the transformation of old out-dated 'butcher block' formica. Really did perk up an old 80s kitchen.
The cabinets, and a new sink are in the future....

• Giani Countertop Paint Kit, Sicilian Sand  (Amazon)
  • Sanding block and sand paper  (on hand)

• Carolyn rogers

I may have missed it, but what three colors did you use. so pretty!!

• Chris Chamberlain

What is Giant A? I did a search and came up empty. Can you give me a little more info? I like how this turned out.

• Reb10963368

Sheila, I had Kilz (white) on hand, so I taped off what I did not want painted, bought the colors I wanted, Coffee, Beige, Eggshell and White at Walmart (for Pennies-acrylic paint), let the Kilz dry well, get an old sponge, cut it in different sizes, get your colors on paper plates, dip ... and let your creative juices flow. You just have to start. Polyurethane twice, it is holding up great! Tried to add a picture but my Computer will not let me.

• Trish

Can this be used on Corian countertops?

• B

You can sand corian ? Why paint over ?

• Vanessa

I love the black. It looks awesome. I think I will try that.

• Dawn Homer

This turned out great and I agree, the black even looked good, bringing a nice contrast to the blue backsplash.