Leila Farmer
Leila Farmer
  • Grand Portage, MN

Painted Concrete Floors

We recently moved into a unfinished house and with the budget eaten up by other things there wasn't room for flooring immediately so for the intern I decided to paint the existing concrete. It's has been a month in a high traffic area and I love it so much I may not cover it up! All it takes is a mop and some pine sole to make it look like it did they day I laid it down. $1.50 stencil from the buck store, $100 in paint and $100 in Diamond Finish Varathene (did 10 coats) and flooring is done is a 400 square foot room :)
Finished Floor
Finished Floor
Base layer I just rolled on.
Base layer I just rolled on.
To start I swept and mopped the existing concrete.
After it was try I taped a border, just straight lines, I kept it simple.
Stencil.  Just picked it up at the buck store.
Stencil. Just picked it up at the buck store.
This was the tedious step, took hours!
This was the tedious step, took hours!
I would bring my lap top into the room with me and watch tv shows while I did it to make the time go faster.
My husband would help me if we watched his shows :)  We watched a lot of Mountain Men once I learned that!
My husband would help me if we watched his shows :) We watched a lot of Mountain Men once I learned that!
The last stencil, a happy moment!
The last stencil, a happy moment!

• Ioana Tisler

I love it!!!

• Val Layton

I did something similar but my stencil was a leaf design and did boarders around it.The floors were plywood.Used oil base paint and varnished it.Turned out pretty good and lasted a long time