Grit Antiques
Grit Antiques
  • Davidson, NC

Laundry Room Sign

How to cover an unsightly breaker box in your laundry room!
laundry room sign, crafts, laundry rooms
You can not see the washer and dryer, but you can see the unsightly breaker box that is featured squarely on the back wall.
I had a cow print on the wall that was ready for retirement so I dug out an antique ironing board from our barn and got to work.
The registration lines on the stencil help guide the placement.
Position your stencil and tape it into place.
You can also tape off the registration marks at this point to ensure you don’t get paint in that area.
Add paint to your brush and then swirl it onto another piece of wood or cardboard.
You just want to make sure the brush is dry before you start.
The key to clean lines when you are stenciling is a little patience and a really dry brush.
I applied Fusion Mineral Paint in Coal Black and let it dry before I removed the stencil.
Once your sign is completely dry you can sand the sign using fine grit sandpaper to achieve an older distressed look.
I generally skip this step because I love the boldness of the letters on the old wood or in this case ironing board.
The sign sits on a couple of hooks my hubby added to the wall.
The ironing board lifts up easily if we need to get into the breaker box.
Of course, I couldn’t stop at the laundry sign…I added an antique door and a cotton wreath.
It always amazes me how simple and inexpensive it can be to change a room.
A room I never really noticed is now a favorite 😉
I hope these little projects inspire you to tackle something in your home.
If so you can find more of my projects and adventures on my blog link below.

• Vintage Ironing Board  (Stash)
  • Laundry Stencil  (http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/shop)
  • Paint-Coal Black  (https://fusionmineralpaint.com)
Grit Antiques

• Kelli Smith Rego

Looking for tips to get rid of cigarette smell in home?

• Diana

A great tip I found on Pinterest is to place a vanilla scented tealight candle in the middle of a bowl of coffee beans. They said as the candle starts to heat up it releases both scents. Can't wait to try that one!

• Barb Goodyke

Ideas to cover one if those boxes in a family room !

• Taeler Miller

I need to cover one in my sun room but it stirs in between the frame of the doorway and the edge of my windows. Too small of a space for a picture really.

• So cute! I have a vintage laundry board just like it and was looking at that same stencil last week!! The stencil is a bit expensive so I wasn't sure I should do it. Now I think I will. Love how it turned out.

• Tammy Barton West

That's not a fire hazard... The metal box is to contain the fire. It's literally a "fire containment box".

• Allison Newby

It's not a fire hazard persay but if you had an electrical fire and had a picture over the electrical box and the firemen couldn't find the box to shut off the electricity that is the hazard / problem. Or it could be . Just had to add that sorry.