Bobbi Perreault
Bobbi Perreault
  • Glencoe, MN

Painted Concrete Floors That Last and Last and Last

$100

Ten years ago when we built this house, to save money we painted all the floors, which are made of concrete. I thought "oh, in a few years when we get some money ahead we'll do regular flooring" That didn't happen yet! And the floors today need another coat of sealer and wax, but other than losing their shine the paint is still fine. A few places, like under the dining room table have shown wear. But the
finished porch floor.
finished porch floor.
To prepare for painting, I putdown masking tape everywhere Ineeded the concrete to remainunpainted.
painted concrete floors that last and last and last, diy, flooring, painting, porches
The center circle will be aclock face.  I like that picture and want to see it all the time
The center circle will be aclock face. I like that picture and want to see it all the time
This is the first coat of paint,it's a brick red color.  The paint I used was Oops paint, from Home Depot.  (flat or semi-gloss latex interior, it got sealed in later)
This is the first coat of paint,it's a brick red color. The paint I used was Oops paint, from Home Depot. (flat or semi-gloss latex interior, it got sealed in later)
The second coat is the brick red from before with some beigemixed in - slightly warmerand lighter in tone. I put it down in each brick,leaving an outline of the darker brick red on the edges.
Also, it's hard to see here,but there's a border around the outside of the floorwhich has remained the dark color
The last color on the bricks isa golden color, tan.  It's sponged over the top of the bricksleaving a pretty darn close approximation of bricks.
The last color on the bricks isa golden color, tan. It's sponged over the top of the bricksleaving a pretty darn close approximation of bricks.
Sponging, different view, and here the tape is coming off to show the unpainted concrete below.
Pulling off the tape.
Pulling off the tape.
The tape is up andit's time to paint the clock.
This clock face came out of a magazine (not too much of that on the Internet yet when I did this floor)  It's traced onto the concrete.
This clock face came out of a magazine (not too much of that on the Internet yet when I did this floor) It's traced onto the concrete.
Just outlining where the tracings are.
Just outlining where the tracings are.
The final steps are so important.  Two coats of sealer (http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?x=1&pid=130)and three coats of wax. Industrial floor sealer like you get from Hillard.  (I think Home Depot or Lowes probably has it too.)
The final steps are so important. Two coats of sealer (http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?x=1&pid=130)and three coats of wax. Industrial floor sealer like you get from Hillard. (I think Home Depot or Lowes probably has it too.)
A link to the type of wax: ( http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?catind=1&x=2&pid=HIL0052806&cid= )
Here's a supply list: A favorite tile pattern (browse Google images!) Lots of masking tape flat or satin latex wall paint in your chosen colors floor wax and sealer from your home supply store. Like this: http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?catind=1&x=2&pid=HIL0052806

• Angie

I LOVE this! My only concern is how do you clean it?
    • Angie

And you can mop it? Maybe my cement is too rough for this? But I love how yours turned out! I love any frugal solution!
  • Mamie Eskritt-Groff

Could I do this in an old shower cement floor. ???

• Bobbi Perreault

I would, I think with the wax it will be fine. But no harsh cleaners, only soap and water.

• Suzanne Brodie

This is beautiful! What did you use to paint or draw the clock hands with?

• Bobbi Perreault

Hi, Suzanne

I had come carbon copy paper - old school style.

Have you seen how sometimes, with a #2 pencil people will cover the reverse side of a pattern with pencil shading. Then put the pattern on the surface to transfer and trace? The pencil marks are transferred where the tracing was done. That's how I guess I would do it today.

• Diana Deiley

Amazing. Looks wonderful and I love the floor clock, it's unusual and quirky. A lot of thought and artistic work but well worth it. I'd keep it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Ros24867079

Was this all masting taped down and paint over, need a step by step
    • Bobbi Perreault

Hi, Rosenamiley29. Yes, it was masking tape and latex paint then sealed with industrial floor wax. Those pics above are the steps. But I'll add a rundown summary at the beginning. Maybe that will help.