Painted Concrete Floors That Last and Last and Last

$100

Ten years ago when we built this house, to save money we painted all the floors, which are made of concrete. I thought "oh, in a few years when we get some money ahead we'll do regular flooring" That didn't happen yet! And the floors today need another coat of sealer and wax, but other than losing their shine the paint is still fine. A few places, like under the dining room table have shown wear. But the wear from chairs was stopped as soon as I put felt on the bottom of the chairs. I saw a question or two about painted floors and hoped this might help someone.

Here are the basic steps to follow to reproduce this, each step is pictured below as well:
  1. Pick your pattern. I had the clock face for a table top and Google showed some nice brick patio arrangements.
  2. Use masking tape to outline the brick pattern. Where the tape is, the concrete natural color will show.
  3. Paint the first darkest brick color over the entire floor. No worries about seeping, as fuzzy lines make a painting look more natural.
  4. When the first coat is dry, with your brush - brush on the next lighter brick color. Don't brush out to the tape, leave some of the dark color showing around the edges.
  5. When the second coat is dry, with your sponge - sponge on some lighter highlights. You may even want to select a brick here and there to receive more of the highlights than others to simulate natural brick.
  6. When the paint is dry, remove the masking tape. This is when I painted the clock face using tracing paper to put the design onto the floor.
  7. When all is dry, put on three coats of the sealer that is linked to below. You can buy this at the big box home improvement store too.
  8. When the sealer is dry, put on two or three coats of wax.
  9. You are done.

finished porch floor.
To prepare for painting, I putdown masking tape everywhere Ineeded the concrete to remainunpainted.
The center circle will be aclock face. I like that picture and want to see it all the time
This is the first coat of paint,it's a brick red color. The paint I used was Oops paint, from Home Depot. (flat or semi-gloss latex interior, it got sealed in later)
The second coat is the brick red from before with some beigemixed in - slightly warmerand lighter in tone. I put it down in each brick,leaving an outline of the darker brick red on the edges.
Also, it's hard to see here,but there's a border around the outside of the floorwhich has remained the dark color
The last color on the bricks isa golden color, tan. It's sponged over the top of the bricksleaving a pretty darn close approximation of bricks.
Sponging, different view, and here the tape is coming off to show the unpainted concrete below.
Pulling off the tape.
The tape is up andit's time to paint the clock.
This clock face came out of a magazine (not too much of that on the Internet yet when I did this floor) It's traced onto the concrete.
Just outlining where the tracings are.
The final steps are so important. Two coats of sealer (http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?x=1&pid=130)and three coats of wax. Industrial floor sealer like you get from Hillard. (I think Home Depot or Lowes probably has it too.)
A link to the type of wax: ( http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?catind=1&x=2&pid=HIL0052806&cid= )
Here's a supply list: A favorite tile pattern (browse Google images!) Lots of masking tape flat or satin latex wall paint in your chosen colors floor wax and sealer from your home supply store. Like this: http://www.hillyard.com/Material.asp?catind=1&x=2&pid=HIL0052806

• Mamie Eskritt-Groff

Could I do this in an old shower cement floor. ???

• Bobbi Perreault

I would, I think with the wax it will be fine. But no harsh cleaners, only soap and water.

• Suzanne Brodie

This is beautiful! What did you use to paint or draw the clock hands with?

• Bobbi Perreault

Hi, Suzanne

I had come carbon copy paper - old school style.

Have you seen how sometimes, with a #2 pencil people will cover the reverse side of a pattern with pencil shading. Then put the pattern on the surface to transfer and trace? The pencil marks are transferred where the tracing was done. That's how I guess I would do it today.

• Bette Wakefield

Could you tell me the exact colors you used.. this project is spectacular, great job

• Bobbi Perreault

Thank you, Bette. I'm sorry to say that it was a long time ago and I dont have that info any more.

• Diana Deiley

Amazing. Looks wonderful and I love the floor clock, it's unusual and quirky. A lot of thought and artistic work but well worth it. I'd keep it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Was this all masting taped down and paint over, need a step by step
    • Bobbi Perreault

Hi, Rosenamiley29. Yes, it was masking tape and latex paint then sealed with industrial floor wax. Those pics above are the steps. But I'll add a rundown summary at the beginning. Maybe that will help.