How to Clean Silver Heirlooms

1 Material
$10

Here is an easy way to clean pieces, sterling and/or plate silver with a large pot of hot hot water and baking soda! Full tutorial, credits and additional resources are in link at bottom. As with any cleaning technique, test this process on a small piece.I started with a sterling silver pitcher. My thought was go big or go home. It was covered with decades of tarnish.
This pitcher was tarnished and it had so many intricate details. Here are the steps to clean heirloom silver.
  1. Bring large pot of water to a slow simmer setting
  2. Add approximately 1/4 cup baking soda. Some tutorials suggest adding a little salt. I added a little more baking soda and salt.

Once the water begins to simmer, turn off the heat. Add slightly crumpled sheets of aluminum paper to the simmering pot of water. I made the mistake of rolling the aluminum paper into balls which resulted in them floating to the top. I added additional aluminium foil and tucked the sheets around the pitcher. You want the foil to be near the crevices with high concentrations of tarnish. Here's the foil after I removed the sterling pitcher.
This is a few minutes later. I repeated the process and weighted the pitcher down with a tea kettle. As you can see the full submerged bottom of the pitcher got the best results.
I love the results. However, if you do not get the results you had hoped for repeat the process and increase your baking soda.
Full tutorial and credit to where I first found the idea is included on my website, Everyday Edits dot co. Here is the link to other popular projects.

• Baking soda, aluminum foil  (Costco)
  • Water

Everyday Edits

• N_y10647978

any ideas for a similar way of cleaning lots of brass ornaments
    • Dana

To Clean Brass...
      Ingredients:
      • 1/2 a lemon
      • a teaspoon or so of baking soda
      • a small bowl to mix your paste
      • and some dirty brass
      Stir the baking soda and lemon mix until it forms a delicious smelling paste.

Rub the paste over the brass, once your done wash off the item dry it and it's done.

• Hester Regan

thank you, Dana. I am going to try this today.....
    • Karen

Ketchup and salt cleans brass and copper
    • Suzanne

use only for silver " plate " not fine "Sterling" ...
  • Bbu12479452

Can you use this on silver plated items or only sterling silver?
  • Rre17555912

Do you use the foil to scrub the item?
    • Acn9109289

No, just the presence of the foil in the water causes the tarnish to transfer over.
  • Ill2818195

Pleas in spanish
  • 15330759

I have bad news, but it must be said.This will actually ruin your silver. I used this process years ago and was delighted to see the tarnish transferring to the aluminum foil however I noticed the surface texture was no longer sleek and smooth and silky. My pieces would no longer shine. I never used the process again. Recently I have seeing the process on the Internet and it inspired me to do a little additional internet research. I am no chemist, but this is all about chemistry. Tarnish is silver sulfide and the process actually alters the molecules creating aluminum sulfide. In the course of transferring the sulfur from the Silver to the aluminum, silver molecules detach from the object and re-attach. They are not in exactly the same location and the result is a loss of polished smoothness. That is the best I can explain it and others can explain it much better. Use it on your junk silver If you must. Do not use it on Sterling. Do not use it on anything valuable. Do not use it on good plate. my business is antique silver and it is very obvious when an object has been cleaned in this fashion. We send it to London and be re-silvered and re-polished before it is again valuable.
    • Jop12914275

You have to take a soft cloth and polish the silver and it will be fine. I have cleaned my silver for 59 years like this and have never damaged anything. You don't have to heat the water. Use a cake pan, line it with aluminum foil, put 2 tspns of baking soda and 1 tspn of salt in it and stir well. Lay the item in the mixture and turn as necessary. Rinse off under the faucet then IMMEDIATELY polish with an old towel. The piece will be smooth and shiney.
    • Merrilee Morrison-Cotter

The photos also show that the dark color in the crevices has disappeared. Some of that is put there intentionallyto bring out the pattern. In any case, a bit of that color is desirable.
    • Julie Blair

You only have to resilver silver plate not sterling silver. Also this jug is silver plate not sterling or it wouldn't have the black spots.also do you happen to know how to get iron spots off silver plate. I have silver plate flatware and well water very hard water. Some of the tea spoons sat too long in a water filled sink and the iron from the water adhered to the spoons.
    • Wwo22308059

you are so right! The only way to get sterling back to it's shine is to have it buffed. There are several jewelers in your cities that have a buffing machine. To me one of the beauties of having silver is the patina of the darkness around the design (like the fruit on Francis 1) If my silver is being used first I clean it with a mixture of 1/2 cup of hot water to 1/2 ammonia and a squirt of blue dawn dish soap. dry then polish with a good silver polish and dust it with a soft micro cloth every 2 weeks. If you don't use it clean then store in silver cloth. Almost any fabric store carries it or can order. I got mine at Hancocks. If you have a lot line a closet. Susan

• Mgkiely

I see that the tarnish is removed but it looks dull, do you now polish it ?
    • Ruth

wash it in warm soapy water and dry with a non-abrasive towel
    • Ruth

polishing with silver polish takes the top layer of silver off
  • Elizabeth Helmer

Do you think this would work on Brass?
  • Janet Thompson

Do you realize this is a chemical exchange process between silver and aluminum where you are actually taking SILVER off the surface of your valuable piece? If it is silverplate, it will eventually eat away all your silverplate!
  • Fwo23001078

Have been told that this method ruins your silverr
    • Diane Gooch

It does it take a away top layer
    • Njl10504268

Yes, it ruins your silver.
    • Martha Goodwin

Polishing silver is also a chemical reaction And also removes some of the silver. In fact tarnish itself is a chemical reaction with the silver involved so it too is " removing " silver.
  • Dorothy

Don't you also remove all the antiquing ? Referring the dark area in the design.

• Al

Will that work on copper as well?
    • Amy Lyn Richards

for copper... rub it with lemon or lime juice and salt
    • Sat14373452

Or ketchup
    • Vwa23911465

In Morocco the women used half a lemon and very fine sand to clean both copper and brass.
    • Mary Courtney

I use hot sauce for copper. Cleans it quick, no matter how bad it is. :-)
    • Karen Gravelle

For my copper-bottomed pans, I use dill pickle juice. Pour the juice into a GLASS pan, set the pan into the juice (weight the pan with the pickle jar or something else), and allow it to work. Takes only a little while, or leave it longer, if you wish. . Remove pan, rinse, and dry. Works great.
  • Nancy Baker

is that a silver plate pitcher or sterling silver? Does this system work on both?
  • Hma21654760

Did you polish it after removing tarnish?
  • Mar16248398

Would that work on sterling flatware too?
    • Lcmc815

Yes!

• Linda

I also use this technique to clean my sterling silver jewelry, even the pieces with softer stones and pearls. My recipe for this is to line a bowl with foil, add 1 tsp of soda, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp of dish soap. Works well on the sterling chains where the tarnish gets between the links!
    • Donna

I've used this method and sadly it also removes the patina
    • Anne

Never try to clean pearls in any solution! Wipe them with a soft cloth.
  • Rge22400559

i have a bronze tea service from thailand thast is badly tarnished....can i use this same method to clean that
    • Der23770390

Use Coca Cola, a couple of liter bottles, pour into a plastic bucket and let them stand In that for a while and rub with a toothbrush if required !
  • Stella

Will this process strip a layer of the silver off the piece and will it work on silverplated pieces ?
    • Linda

Yes, it worked on silver plated spoons for me... have wrapped them up and stored them.....hope they are still good!
    • Anngraystone

Yes, it works on silverplate as it only takes off the tarnish, not the silver.
      It does not etch or dissolve the silver.
    • Katie Corrigan

Every time you polish silver you are taking a bit of the silver off the piece. Over time if you polish your silver plated pieces a lot you will eventually get down to the copper or brass base.

Also beware with this technique you may remove the patina tarnish from the crevices of the piece so don't leave it in too long. You want the black tarnish to remain in the crevices so you can see the detail in the nooks and crannies.
    • Kim Perry

Yes, this process is one of the worst for cleaning your silver. Check on a reputable silversmith website, one from the Socity of American Silversmiths. Jeffrey Herman at hermansilver.com has been my go to for years.
    • Seb17934102

Do not use this technique unless you don't want your silver to last!
    • Jan9004940

Watch Antiques Roadshow and see all the disappointed people who cleaned, polished or otherwise cleaned old silver, sculpture, or furniture and watched the dollar signs go south because the patina was gone. Check with an expert before you do anything to old items.
  • Mpa22531139

I have a very large serving tray and I don't have a pot large enough to put the tray in what do you suggest?
    • Joyce

The bathtub, perhaps
    • Kel

Do one end thenrepeat for the other.
    • Belinda Mead DeMond

Bathtub
    • Anngraystone

If you have a large enough sink, spread the aluminum foil in the sink, put the tray in it, and then pour the solution over it. If sink is not large enough, do it partially, in 2 or 3 sections.
    • Barbara Liston

Been doing this in kitchen sink for years, putting foil in first, [to cover bottom] then sprinkling b.soda, then hot water. Finally a thorough rinsing. I suspect silverplate eventually wears away as I noticed several of my cherished odd pieces are showing wear just recently [after decades of use by my Grandmother and me when only silver polish was used]. I plan to have them re-plated.
    • Lora Lee Fry

A cookie sheet with aluminum, soda and hot water for the bottom and just put the aluminum, baking soda on the top side of the tray and pour on more boiling water. I would do it on a table outside so you do not worry about silver. Rinse the spills away with the hose when done. The baking soda will dilute enough to not harm anything.

• Carol Guidry Alcasey

There are some large plastic bins that are pretty shallow, about 4 inches deep. You can buy them at Walmart or target among many other places for about $8. There is plenty of surface area for a large serving tray in one of those
    • Nette

Or even a deep plastic bin. Just fill to the level you need.
    • Devi Alandur Raghuraman

Try the disposable aluminum trays. U can just throw them away after use.
    • Anne DeMore

The sink or the bath tub!
    • MIck

LOVE the suggestion to use a large aluminum container. The Dollar store has them & my guess is you wouldn't have to use aluminum foil in addition to it....
    • Annabelle

I purchase HUGE disposable aluminum roasting pans from the grocery store each holiday season, and use those. After cleaning, I polish to preserve the silver. Always polish afterwards when using chemical cleaners, especially Tarnex.
    • Judy Johnson Renault

Maybe a large roasting pan or the bottom of your broiling pan?
    • Judy Johnson Renault

• Bren lang

What about using a large trash bag and put it all in a trash bag. Make sure the liquid completely covers the platter. This is what I do when I clean my oven.
  • Jud8104147

Just a word of caution, though. I used this technique with candlesticks, and two pieces separated. Apparently they had been clued somehow and the hot water caused them to come apart. Just bad luck, but I don't know how to be sure they aren't glued before putting them in the water...
    • Jud8104147

Typo: I meant "glued", not clued.
    • Jean Stevens

LOL that is funny, I readitca GLUED. Had to look again to see if I had. Hope you were able to restore the candlecsticks! I have just Soda and water to clean Silver.
    • MsCaliLady

Just proves a reader doesn't focus on each and every word. I did the same thing...haha
    • Shauna Steadman

So did I
    • Kathy Chance

I've used this method water doesn't have to b boiling just warm not even hot
    • Kathy Powers

The glued piece probably was mended before: I can't imagine a silversmith gluing pieces together. The gluer must have done a great job. I always say, what was glued before can be glued again. Thanks for sharing.
  • Dianne Couvillion

I have silver bracelets that are over 100 yrs and silver is filthy will this clean them?
    • Mary L Carlos

Yes it will. I prefer the salt method. It doesn't leave a film on the item like baking soda does. Although it does wipe off. Either way is good.
    • Ardale

It will work on your bracelets but to get a much better shine you'd be better off buying a jar of liquid jewelry cleaner. I use something called (Silver Brite) silver dip cleaner which is made strictly for cleaning jewelry and is not made to clean and polish anything but jewelry. I got mine on ebay and it cleans all of my jewelry both silver and gold but you can't use it on pearls. It's a acid so it will dissolve pearls and will etch your counter top or steel sink. It comes in a plastic jar complete with a little jewelry basket you just lower into the liquid and it cleans and shines your jewelry right before your eyes. Once clean just take out the little basket and rinse your jewelry. Very fast and leaves your jewelry sparkling.
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

If your jewelery has any kind of design in it I wouldn't do this. the designs are supposed to have the black tarnish in them it's what makes the design stand out. I bought a silver polishing cloth off amazon. you just lightly buff your silver with it and it makes it shine beautifully.
    • Carol

I use it all the time (salt method on a piece of tin foil) for my mother's antique silver etched earrings and it works great. they look brand new after doing this treatment. I don't like the thought of putting my good silver into anything acid.
    • Barb in Texas

A note about tarnish remover: If your piece is plated the 'silver polish' will take the finish right off. I found that out when I accidently left a crystal perfume bottle to soak and forgot about it for 2 hours. Took the silver collar right off and left the base metal alone.
  • Red19259983

Would something like this work for Silverware? I collect "spoons"!
    • Kathy Powers

I do this all the time. I wrap the silverware in aluminum and submerge in boiling baking soda water. Works every time!
    • Cindy

I think just using Tarnex would be easier and put papers down to catch any drips etc. This method of boiling water, baking soda sounds like too much work to me. Sorry !
  • Mar21526047

About how long does the removal take?
  • Alice Jones

I just used your method of silver cleaning On my counter. Ruined the cabinet. It turned th wood all black. Help.
    • Missy Burch

i think she meant it boiled over onto the counter.
    • Alice Jones

i mixed as it said. I put it in a deep container cause my silver ware was all hanging ing on an ornament to use as a hanging display. When I took it out it ran over the bench and over the drawer. That caused the drawer tu turn black. You make it sound like I was a bimbo. I just said it as a warning not to get it on your wood. Your welcome.
    • Connie

Can you use a tarnish paste to clean up the boo boo?
    • Maryllier

Im just lovin that silver pot!
    • Kathryn Sanderson

There's been some discussion about whether or not this method (with aluminum foil and baking soda) removes some of the silver.

Here's something from the University of Wisconsin explaining how the method words. It also says that it doesn't remove any of the silver. It doesn't say anything about it removing the patina or leaving blotches, though.

I'm guessing (and it's just a guess) that commercial liquid silver cleaners like Tarn-X and Tarnaway have (or had) a different chemical composition, which would explain why they removed some of the silver.

• Debra Athas

I've also found this successful in old pots made of aluminum. I don't recall using the baking soda, but I'm sure that's helpful. I wasn't really trying to clean such a large piece though.
  • Sca21625103

can this method be used on silver plate?
    • Ginny Long

I've used an aluminum pan,baking soda and boiling water.
    • Cud15744056

I used it on both and it does clean silver plated. Couldn't tell the real from plated silverware until they were cleaned !
    • Kaioverbeck

Once you ad the ingredients and the silver does it need to boil and for how long?
    • Emmer Holbrook

you don't need to boil. just leave in the hot water until cool for max cleaning.

• Mkn22138861

Be careful with silverplate. I ruined a beautiful set of very expensive candlesticks. It remives a bit of the silver. But I still use it on my inexpensive pieces. Remember to wash it, wipe it down & shine it. It will look like new. I also do this with my sterling silver jewelry.
  • Bev22004255

can this be used to clean regular tarnished silverware?
    • Connie

Yes but be careful in using this because it removes the dark around raised designs. You may want that darkness that was put there originally.
    • Margie Hemwall Brewer

Yes. I put my silverware in a large aluminum baking pan. I sprinkle the baking soda over the silver, and pour the hot water over all.
  • Caj11278368

Will it work on silver plated ?
    • Emmer Holbrook

yes, it will. this is an ion exchange process.
      i think that pitcher may be plate--just because solid silver would be astronomically expensive and there are so many more silver plate pieces around.
      try cleaning copper by spraying or dipping the surface and then sprinkling on table salt for a dramatic change.
    • Judy

Work really good on silverware , its not as bulky
  • Tusharbina

What if it is not sterling silver but pure silver?
  • Barbara

Some big silver items are weighted in the base and handles and are glued together st The joins I had been told these items should never be put into hot hot water and should never be immersed. How did you then get a shine on your pitcher ?
    • Jean Sherrod Burkhart

This has cleaning technique has been around for years, and several years ago, I used it to clean my silver tea pot. You do have to be careful b/c if the handle is glued on, which mine was, it can fall off, which mine did. I had to glue it back on, and it still falls off from time to time. I would be afraid to put liquid in it now and carry it by its handle. I wouldn't trust the handle not to fall off.
  • Buc22412372

Would this work for copper?
    • Jill Moore

salt and lemon for copper

• Suzet

Salt substitute and white vinegar keeps my copper bottom 60 year old Revereware pans shiny. I use them almost everyday.
    • Suzet

• Molly

I'm with Jill...in the 50's my mother would wet the copper piece, add salt then use a cut lemon to rub away the tarnish. Works great! For either the copper w/ salt & lemon or the silver w/ a piece of foil in baking dish w/ baking soda, u don't need an exact amount. For the silver just lay the pieces on sheet of foil, add water to cover then pour in baking soda. I nuke the water to boil. For rings, I put a small piece of foil in small boil, add water & baking soda. No chemicals, so no damage...just be careful w/ jewelry that has stones & boiling water. The tarnish transfers to the foil.
    • Arlis

ketsup also works on copper
  • Tusharbina

MIne is pure Silver Hindu deity. PLease clarify as these are not Silver Plated. YEt they are not Sterling Silver either!!! I am concerned before I try yr method!!

Go here to see tehy Idos I have and other Prayer Stuff too.

• Arlis

I would not use the soda method on your Hindu items . I would use silver wipes or just plain tooth paste. I can't remember what that type of silver is but it is interesting
  • Jme11588583

Is this method hard on the silver?
    • Arlis

yes on fine delicate pieces. this removes a miniscule bit of silver so is not meant for slight amounts of tarnish such as on the end of a fork or tip of a spoon

• Janice A

years ago when you could buy. Powdered Spick and Span. Detergent. You ran hot hot water in sick and lined the sink with the tin foil and dipped the silver and it came out shining.....but now you can't find powdered spick and span.... tried tide but it didnt work too well....
  • Kathryn

how would this work on plated silver?
    • Arlis

yes, it does but remember this is removing a minuscule bit of silver so don't leave article in solution any longer than necessary . for final bits of tarnish remove with cleaner by hand instead of leaving in solution longer.
    • M.L. Friel

Yes, I clean both silver plate & sterling in a hot water/aluminum/soda bath, however Rather than baking soda, go to the 'Soaps & Detergents' aisle of your grocery store & look for the bright box with a big red circle displaying "Arm & Hammer", beneath in blue is "Super Washing Soda"...use this instead. Also use heavy duty aluminum foil, it lasts longer in your soak.
      Makes the job a breeze, & you should be Very Happy with the results.
    • WendySue

Great suggestion M.L.! I use Washing Soda in my laundry too....works wonderfully to remove stains and bump up the detergents. This sure beats Tarnix which I was using to wipe down my jewelry chains with. (I don't soak them...too much plating is removed.)
    • Everyday Edits

Thank you to all for the comments and suggestions.
  • K.

Love this piece, where did you get it?
  • Cam12496131

"What method would one use to clean brass - very discolored
    • Nancy

I almost hate to make a suggestion due to the negative comments some people make, but this worked for me polishing 3 large brass candlesticks. I used powdered Barkeeper's Friend and a wet sponge. Then I discovered spray foam Barkeeper's Friend at Lowe's. When they needed to be polished again, I sprayed on the foam, rubbed it around with my hands and rinsed it off. It was so easy I couldn't believe it!
    • And22161236

Ketchup. Wipe it on, let it sit for a few minutes and rin off with a soft cloth. Repeat to remove severe tarnish; rinse off and dry.
    • Joy Jackson

One teaspoon of good dish washing liquid mixed with one teaspoon of powdered Tartaric Acid, add a little water to disolve the powder. Wipe on to item with sponge, rinse off in sink or a large container and dry with a soft cloth. By the time you have done a few items, the rinse water is strong enough to clean other brass ware without your having to make up more mixture.
    • Cindy Lieb

I used ketchup and it worked soooo good.
    • M.L. Friel

My Antique brass fireplace fender was so tarnished I was afraid it would Never look good again...in desperation I tried "Barkeepers Friend (since 1882") powder on a moist sponge, a little 'elbow grease', & it came out sparkling & looking fine!
    • Cam12496131

Thank you very, very much. Will give it a try!!
    • Kym

I found this one by accident. Anyone use the blue stuff in the dishwasher to get spots off glasses? we have very hard water and if I don't use rinse aid it's gnarly. I put a little JetDry Finish on a paper towel and wiped off a long section of an antique carved brass lamp and it immediately removed the oxidation. Wiped it down with warm water and dried it, this thing looks brand new!
    • WendySue

I love this tip Kym! Jet Dry or any "blue or yellow" ones is a surfactant and is used in commercial laundry soap, etc. It makes things kind of "un-glue" to surfaces and makes things smooth....like in hair shampoos too. I'm going to try it on my utensils....like the spoons always have spots on them.
      Thanks again!