Sam Franklin
Sam Franklin
  • Netherlands

How To Get An Amaryllis To Flower Again (Re-Bloom)

Have you ever wondered if it is possible to get your Amaryllis bulbs to re-bloom?
how to get an amaryllis to flower again re bloom, gardening, how to
Well the answer is yes!

By following a few important steps it is possible to increase your chances of seeing more beautiful blooms the following year.

Since having moved to the Netherlands, where it is hugely popular to decorate with the Amaryllis, I have become a real fan.

I love the versatility of how you can use it to decorate your home and its big beautiful showy blooms.
Here's what your need to do:

1. As each individual bloom begins to fade remove it.

2. When all the blooms are gone leave the green stalk until you see it beginning to change colour/wilt. Once this happens you can cut the stalk off to about 5cm above the bulb. Be careful not to damage any new green growth that may be coming out the bulb.

3. Once you have done this remove the plant away from direct light sources. Keep it well watered (not soaked) and do not allow it to dry out. You can also give it occasionally some liquid plant food.

4. As the weather begins to warm up and all the frosts have finished you can put your amaryllis plant in the garden.

5. Continue to keep it well watered. The plant will continue to grow leaves through the summer.

6. When you see any leaves wilting or going yellow carefully remove them.

7. At the end of the summer / beginning of the autumn, you can bring your bulb back indoors and store it in a cool dark (frost free) place. Do not water during this period.

8. After 6 to 8 weeks when the dormant period has finished you can bring it back into the light and give it some water. If you have been successful your bulb should flower within approximately 6 weeks.
This method is not guaranteed but as I said before it can greatly increase your chances of getting your bulb to re-bloom.

If your bulb does not manage to re-bloom then it is also worth saving it and trying again the following year.

I know there are a lot of different recommend methods of doing this and they tend to vary greatly from country to country but this has worked for me in the past.

I would also really love to hear everyone else's experiences and tips for growing Amaryllis bulbs. Maybe you have a better way :)

You can find more detailed instructions and ideas for decorating your home with bulbs over on the blog: http://ahappyhomeinholland.com 

• Amaryllis Bulbs  (Supermarket, Garden Center)
Sam Franklin