{Dump Find} Accent Chair Makeover

$00

I am dying to share my latest project with you, because not only is it my first chair makeover, but also, I am so happy that I completed another item in our long living room to-do list. YAY! Little-by-little, we are getting there!

Now, before going into the details of this accent chair makeover, let me first show you the before pictures.

accent chair makeover
Not bad looking, is it? Ok, maybe it had a disgusting, filthy seat and dozens of dings and scratches that I had to deal with, but for a Put & Take find, this was just brilliant!

accent chair makeover
Despite the looks, this chair is made from good hardwood – strong and sturdy and in almost perfect condition. Look at the bottom of that seat – it still had its protective nylon in perfect condition. For $0 cost, it doesn’t get better than that, right?

Being extremely happy with my Put & Take find, I straightaway started working on it. First, I unscrewed the cushion, so it wouldn’t be in my way when I painted the chair’s frame.

accent chair makeover
Then, some wood filler here and there, I filled (and sanded) all the areas that needed repairing.

accent chair makeover
After dealing with the cosmetic issues, it was time to decide on the fabric and the paint color. Decisions, decisions…this part is never easy for me. I went through all the fabric that I had on hand. Drop cloth, burlap, french script pattern, multi-color fabric, single-color fabric… nothing I had excited me. Then I remembered that I had some tapestries, so I gave those a try.

Once I decided on the fabric, I grabbed my favorite brush and some homemade chalk paint custom color-matched to Old White and started painting my dump find chair with thin coats.

You can find my homemade chalk paint recipe on our blog.

accent chair makeover
After painting, sanding and waxing, I worked on the upholstery. Using a staple remover, I started removing all the staples from the seat (169 staples to be exact!). I have to say this staple remover is such a handy-dandy tool for it's price. The entire disassembly was done in no time with no fuss.

accent chair makeover
Once the old upholstery was off, I re-upholstered the seat with the tapestry and screwed it back on the chair.

accent chair makeover
Here it is! Not too shabby, is it?

accent chair makeover
This type of exotic and colorful pattern is not for everyone, but I sure am loving it.

accent chair makeover
As usual, some close-up pictures for you to see the painted parts in detail.

accent chair makeover
I am really loving my brush! It always gives me awesome finish with no brush marks :-)

accent chair makeover

accent chair makeover
For more details and pictures on this project, such as my painting technique and my homemade chalk paint recipe, please visit our blog post.

Thanks for reading and I hope you liked my first-ever chair project!

Handan, xo

Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Tonya

What brush is used?

• Wendy Elias

What kind of brush did you use?

• Wendy Elias

Or, did I miss where you indicated the kind of paintbrush you use? Sorry to repeat myself if you had! If not, please help a struggling, beginner crafter (me)!

• Mel

The article says to check out her blog post for details.