Livestock Water Trough Turned Coffee Table

We all want furniture that is unique to our style and taste; and when living on a farm, what better way to incorporate "farmstyle living" then by turning an old water trough into a functional storage piece that is pretty and practical.
livestock water trough turned coffee table, home maintenance repairs, painted furniture, ponds water features
To start out we drilled 4 holes in the bottom of the trough so we could attach the feet, which would give us a little added height.
Here you can see an example of that, although I slacked big time on taking pictures at the beginning of this process so this is not the actal trough.
Once you have the holes drilled you can easily slip the screw end of the feet through and bolt them tight. These can be purchased at Lowe's.
Once the feet were attached, my woodworker made a top that sat flush with the edges of the trough with a little overhang in the front so you can easily lift the lid.
He then cut pieces to fit the curves of the trough so we could attach the hinges.
Once that was done, the trough was pretty top heavy when the lid was open so we cut another piece to fit in the bottom for added weight and support. All the wood accents are stained in Minwax Provincial.

I then drilled two holes on each side for rope handles.
After the stain had dried, I sealed the entire piece with polyurethane.
To finish off the farmhouse look and add a little charm, I drilled two holes on each side of the trough for rope handles.
After doing this piece for a client, I'm thinking I'm going to be building another one for myself. There is simply nothing better then pretty and practical!

• RaeAnn

What kind of wood did u use for lid?

• Km42608654

What kind of screws did you use for the hinge? And what do you do if they poke through on the inside?

• Web15465597

The hinges were attached to the body of the trough using nuts and bolts. You can see the nuts on the inside in the picture showing the lid open.

• Sydney

whay size trough did you use?

• Martin Finn

Great for use as a toy chest.

• Johnetta Maddox

This would also make an awesome peice for the porch to hide/protect shoes at the front door and provide seating. The options are nearly endless!! LOVE!!