Upcycled Outdoor Planter

I love the look of large stately planters but the cost can be outrageous! I remembered seeing a tutorial on pinterest showing how to make planters with old shutters once. I wasn't sure how they would stand up to the outside.

Then one day I walked into ReStore and there they were... tall vinyl brown shutters! Bingo! Stately planters that would for sure stand up in the outdoor elements. And did you see the price? Now that's what I'm talking about!

Supplies Needed:

Begin by marking the center point of your shutters.

Cut shutters in half using a mitre saw. My shutters were 72" so the center was 36".

Now take the shutters and make a box, checking to make sure all 4 pieces line up.

To attach the sides together, drill a hole in the corners making sure you go all the way through both pieces.

I used Vinyl spikes that came with the shutters, you could also use large screws. Attach all 4 sides.

Now screw corner braces into the shutter planter as shown above.

Cut a piece of wood to make a shelf to put your plant on. I used an old cabinet door that I cut to size. It's a great way to use some leftover wood.

Here is the planter finished. I had the large silver screws on hand, if you do not plan on painting your planter you would want to use dark screws or spray paint the screws so they do not stand out.

Add a nice large plant to fill out your planter.

When I took the planters to the lake house I decided they needed a pop of color so I simply spray painted them navy with rustoleum spray paint. If you decide to paint your planters make sure to use a paint that works on plastic. I put yellow mums in them for the fall.... amazing!

To see the full tutorial and more out of the box projects follow the link below and check us out! Sign up for our emails so you never miss a diy project!

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Diva of DIY

• Trisia

Beautiful!

what color is the door and planters?

• Krafty Mrs.K

hmmmm I wonder if Habitat for Humanity Restore has some Shutters in stock???

Great Idea.

• Cindy

Hi Krafty. I bought a set of shutters at Habitat to make this exact thing. They are short shutters - only one plant stand. They are in our garage collecting dust. I'll have to get them out and finally make mine. There were only a few shutters when I was there. I think it's a hit or miss kinda thing. Good luck.

• Connie Clapp Thueson

The picture with the corner braces looks odd. I thought a corner brace would be either inside or outside and connected with screws to each side. What are we seeing here?