Diva of DIY
Diva of DIY
  • Kansas City, MO

Upcycled Outdoor Planter

I love the look of large stately planters but the cost can be outrageous! I remembered seeing a tutorial on pinterest showing how to make planters with old shutters once. I wasn't sure how they would stand up to the outside.

upcycled outdoor planter

Then one day I walked into ReStore and there they were... tall vinyl brown shutters! Bingo! Stately planters that would for sure stand up in the outdoor elements. And did you see the price? Now that's what I'm talking about!

Supplies Needed:

upcycled outdoor planter

Begin by marking the center point of your shutters.

upcycled outdoor planter

Cut shutters in half using a mitre saw. My shutters were 72" so the center was 36".

upcycled outdoor planter

Now take the shutters and make a box, checking to make sure all 4 pieces line up.

upcycled outdoor planter

To attach the sides together, drill a hole in the corners making sure you go all the way through both pieces.

upcycled outdoor planter

I used Vinyl spikes that came with the shutters, you could also use large screws. Attach all 4 sides.

upcycled outdoor planter

Now screw corner braces into the shutter planter as shown above.

upcycled outdoor planter

Cut a piece of wood to make a shelf to put your plant on. I used an old cabinet door that I cut to size. It's a great way to use some leftover wood.

upcycled outdoor planter

Here is the planter finished. I had the large silver screws on hand, if you do not plan on painting your planter you would want to use dark screws or spray paint the screws so they do not stand out.

upcycled outdoor planter

Add a nice large plant to fill out your planter.

upcycled outdoor planter

When I took the planters to the lake house I decided they needed a pop of color so I simply spray painted them navy with rustoleum spray paint. If you decide to paint your planters make sure to use a paint that works on plastic. I put yellow mums in them for the fall.... amazing!

To see the full tutorial and more out of the box projects follow the link below and check us out! Sign up for our emails so you never miss a diy project!

Diva of DIY

• Edison

I was just wondering, where did u buy those $5 shutters? I looked at Homedepot n 1 shutter cost a minimum of $30

• Leighann

She said she found them at the ReStore. Habitat for Humanity.

• Brenda Johnson

What is keeping it from being top-heavy? they could easily turn over with nothing in the bottom. Is beautiful though.

• Wendy

I'm sure u could stand a CBS (concrete block) on end inside at the bottom - wouldn't b able to go too far with that! Love this idea!

• Karen

Not a question just want to tell you I think this is great idea and they look fantastic.

• C.B.

Nice job ! Suggestion: place a bag of sand in the bottom to help weight it down.

• Patricia H Thompson

Great job and so cheap, I will have to take a ride down to our thrift

shop.

Thanks.