Faux Succulent Wreath and DIY Wreath Stand

$00

March 5th, 2017 will be written in golden ink to the Navage family history book, for it is the day my babes finally took down the Christmas wreath that had been hanging over our front door since December 2015! I don’t know if The Guinness Book of Records has a “procrastination” category, but if they do, my babes’ 437 days should certainly qualify! Lol. Since I had nowhere to hang a wreath until Sunday afternoon, it’s no wonder why last Saturday I was busy DIYing a wreath stand to hang my new faux succulent wreath.

Apart from the wreath stand, I was also busy shopping at Dollar Store this weekend, and that is when I decided to make a faux succulent wreath for this spring. They had some really cool succulents at the Dollar Store – which was perfect, because just recently, I saw a faux succulent wreath in Pottery Barn’s catalog and was thinking about making one sometime in the future. Oh well…it was meant to be mine sooner rather than later! Hahahaha

I have to say, it was one of the easiest wreaths I’ve made. You only need some Dollar Store faux succulents, a grapevine wreath, some moss and a hot glue gun to make this wreath.
I started off pulling the succulents out of their pots and placing them on the wreath to decide on the layout / arrangement.
Once I liked the layout, I heated my hot glue gun and started hot gluing the succulents on to the grapevine wreath according to that layout.
When I hot glued all the succulents into their places, I started hot gluing the moss. To do so, I grabbed some moss and put some hot glue on the moss.
Then I placed the moss wherever there was a big gap on the grapevine wreath. Something to note here: I didn’t try to fill all the gaps so the grapevine would peek through here and there. I think that randomness gave the whole thing a better and more realistic look.

Once the wreath was finished, I went on to make my DIY wreath stand. CLICK HERE to see the full tutorial on the DIY wreath stand.

To make the wreath stand I used a table top lamp that I bought at Hobby Lobby. It was buried in a pile of chipped and broken merchandise in the discount aisle. Perfect condition and 90% off…that’s my kind of bargain! I could use it as-is or get rid of the cabling and re-purpose it to a lovely candle holder. Or even better, I could make a…oh, I don’t know…but let’s say there were so many possibilities. So for $3.49, I wasn’t going to pass it up!
First, I took the lamp apart. I cut the wire at a point where I could splice it back if I needed to use it again. So yes! You guessed right..I didn’t throw the wiring away 
Next, I searched for some sort of rod or dowel to fit in the opening of the lamp. When I found a fitting rod, first I poured glue in to the opening, then I placed the rod on it. I left it overnight for the glue to cure properly.
When the glue cured, I measured about 3 inches from the top point and put a screw in the rod. That would be the hook that holds the wreaths. 
Before painting, I used a handy dandy fixing clay to cover the ugly screw, so it wouldn’t hurt anyone when handled. Once it was all ready for painting I painted my wreath stand with 3 thin coats of paint and that was that.
Here is my faux succulent wreath and its stand.
For more details and pictures on this project, please visit our blog post.

Thanks for reading and I hope you liked my wreath and the DIY wreath stand!

Handan, xo

Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Avril

How and how often do you water this? Thank you Avril in Cali

• Hello Avril, the moss is only real part and it doesn't really need watering but only misting maybe... I usually mist all my moss projects (be it a wreath or topiary) about once in two months and that is more than enough if they are not placed under direct sunlight. :-)

• Avril

Never mind, i see it is fake plants! Avril in Cali

• Bobbi Convery

I love this idea - that is a great idea and tutorial.
  • Bridgid

What a wonderful idea! At first I wasn't sure where you were going with the lamp to make a stand. Once my brain fog disappeared I realized what you had in mind & thought it was brilliant! Thanks for sharing!