Recycled Cereal Box Pocket Wreath for Spring

Are you tired of the usual round wreaths you see everywhere to decorate your door for spring? Here's an easy way to recycle a cereal box into an adorable handmade pocket wreath to showcase your favorite spring blooms. And would you believe the pocket vase is finished with a dimensional moss effect?

recycled cereal box pocket wreath for spring

Let's get started by opening a large cereal box at the side seam and placing the print-side down.  Using a ruler, draw the shape of a vase with straight lines and .  .  .

cut out.

To enhance the curved shape, gently rub the cardboard cut-out around a glass cylinder into a vase shape.  Then place it onto the remaining cereal box cardboard piece, holding it the width of the vase, as pictured below. 

Apply hot glue to the long edge of the cut-out and .  .  .

place on top of the cardboard, holding in place until the glue cools off and dries.

Repeat for the opposite side and let glue cool and dry thoroughly. It doesn't take long - a few minutes.

Cut off excess cardboard at sides.  Next, apply hot glue to narrow bottom and place on cardboard, holding in place until cool and dry.

Then cut off the excess cardboard around the bottom, following the shape.

Reinforce sides, outside, inside, and bottom with additional hot glue and let dry.Next, tape sides and bottom with masking tape for additional strength and coat vase with Outdoor Mod Podge or sealer.

Once dry, apply the Dimensional Moss Effect paint for a faux moss look.

For hanging, punch two holes in the top back,  reinforcing with duct tape.

Tie ribbon, knotting at holes and glue floral foam inside.  Then .  .  .

arrange flowers, top with a bow and hang on door.  This handmade recycle cardboard wreath is a lovely pocket full of pansies!

• Cereal box/Cardboard
  • Ruler/Scissors/Pencil
  • Hot glue gun
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Esther

No question, just a comment. What a cute idea, and a good way to recycle!

• Bettybelle

Wow! Way to go. Such a beautiful and fresh spring door idea.

• Karen

I agree 100%! Very nice - im going to try it. Thanks for posting such a pretty idea Gail
  • Sea Trace Creations

l'lI have to ask how well will this stand up outside with moisture? Love the recycling idea of using a cereal box!
    • Gail@Purple Hues and Me

So far, so good! But my door is protected from rain and wet weather so my wreath doesn't get wet. I did use outdoor mod podge to coat the cardboard several times. As with anything exposed to the outside, I'm sure it will deteriorate over time. I switch up my door hangings quite often and I'm presently trying to decide on a new one for summer.

• Gail Paradise

Love this. I needed learning about taping + outdoor Mod Podge as my door faces the west sun making it a little harder to have a great wreath. Thanks Gail.
    • Gail@Purple Hues and Me

Thanks, Gail! Perhaps you could use an outdoor silicone adhesive in addition to the hot glue (a quick grab) for a more permanent adhesion.

• Sue Lilly

Cheers for this.