3D Abstract Art

$60
3 Weeks

Disclaimer: This project uses eggshells. For health and safety reasons, make sure to clean eggshells thoroughly before crafting with them. You can use soapy water or bleach in order to kill harmful germs and bacteria.

Who knew eggs could look so good!

This was a tedious project but totally worth all the effort. If I would have went with regular canvases it would have cut my time in half, but due to the size I wanted buying canvases that size were out of the question because they'd be breaking the bank. That's when an idea sparked and I decided to go with particle board which I purchased for $20. Before cutting to size I measured what sizes I wanted my abstracts to be. (my particle board was 3/4" thickness)

Because of the weight of the particle board I secured a 1x4 onto the back side for better durability. I used 6 screws for this.

Then I went on by making the frame.

I used gorilla glue and strapped down the frame to the baords.

I used small nails with smaller heads for minimal visibility. I didn't let the glue dry before nailing it in because I didn't see how it would make a difference .  Worked out great.

This was probably the worst of it all. My paint didn't have great coverage. I didn't know different brands could have such a big difference in paint texture and coverage. It took my one whole day and 4 coats of paint before they were completely white. Oh yes and I used my favorite "purdy" brand brush to get this step done.

Then the fun began. I absolutely love gold leafing things and this was super fun to do,... although it did require a lot of eggshells since I was making such a large piece of art.

To secure the eggshells to the canvas I used hot glue. Which was quick and durable.

I lay the canvases flat on the ground following that I lay out all my eggshells to see if I liked the pattern and started gluing away.

And this is how it looks finished. The best part is how it glows while the sun sets in the evening. Couldn't be happier with the end result.  A true piece of art work worth every bit of effort.

Feel free to visit my blog for the full tutorial..    https://www.lilyardor.com/3d-diy-wall-art/

If you don't want to miss any of my DIYS you can sign up for the newsletter and I'll send you my latest projects straight to your inbox. You can sign up here - LilyArdorDIYS-signupform

----------------------

You can view my recent DIYS here : https://www.lilyardor.com/diy/

----------------------

Thank you for Joining me today.  I hope you liked this DIY

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Lily Oleynik

• Barbara Harmon
    Barbara Harmon

1) Your supply list has plaster of Paris but don’t read how you used it.

2) approximately how much garage led leaf did you use for this size project?

I’m eager to attempt it. Thank you for responding

• Pat
    Pat

Do you guild both sides?

• Pete
      Pete

No, you can see in the photos only the one side is done

• Melinda Barber
    Melinda Barber

This is absolutely the bees knees! Did you choose gold leafing rather than spraying for added texture? I love the texture and "life" it gives the piece, but I wonder if the same can be achieved by spray paint...