Updating Our Front Porch

Our small front porch in the front of the house needed some serious TLC :) so we set out to make it definitely more homey!
updating our patio
This was the original porch, pretty sad looking... I dislike the faded blue paint with the faded green trim and wanted something else.
updating our patio
First thing we did was cover all the windows and door moldings with painters tape and plastic and painted the walls dark grey. I also painted that door, it was originally white and I wanted something bolder so I went with an emerald/turquoise color.
updating our patio
The next thing we did was to paint all the faded green trim to a bold white color. There's something about grey and white that I just really love!
updating our patio
The hubby found out that our stair rails was very wobbly, so he decided to redo the whole stair rails.
updating our patio
That was the stair rails when it was finished -- all I needed to do was paint it with white paint. Took a couple of coats.
updating our patio
We added solar light posts on the 4 ends of the rail -- and changed the front door light to an industrial edison bulb style fixture.
updating our patio
Next I sanded down the floors... I tried to see if re-staining would work, but the wood was so old I opted out to paint it a beige color.
updating our patio
For the finishing touch, we used our old pallets that shipped our kitchen cabinets, cut it down to a single size bed, bought thick ropes from Home Depot and hung the pallet. We got a single mattress for free (from some college student that had to leave their apartment), and I put in some sheets, a grey blanket, and throw pillows
updating our patio
I also decided to purchase 3 (25 ft) outdoor globe string light and put it on ceiling of the porch to give it a nice light at night :D. They cost about $20 a piece and can be connected to each other.
updating our patio
Lastly, I added a mosquito netting over the pallet bed because... when you live out in the country there is alot of mosquitoes and bugs! We love laying on the pallet bed when the weather is cool and just enjoying the quiet country life ^_^

• Gary Lynn Street

In one of your before pictures, I think I see a toilet on the porch. Is that a deco piece or part of your revamp?

• Dessya Palit

Part of revamp xD we had to remove the toilet to tile our bathroom.

• Donna Treadgold

Can you tell me did you reinforce the corners of your pallet bed ?

• Dessya Palit

We did not reinforce the corners. It's been pretty great and hasn't had any problems.

• Jeanbabynurse

I have railroad ties bordering around my patio and they are rotten. What can I replace them with or where. Is the best place to buy railroad ties?

• MaryAnn D

so cool

• Patricia

Awesome upgrade! The door really enhances the look. Love the bed! We live in the country in the warmer months of the year. It would be fun and relaxing to lay (sleep) outside and hear all the frogs sing and whatever else goes on outside the walls at night!