This IKEA Hack Hides an Ugly Electrical Panel

$41

I hated the electrical panel in my entryway. It was the first thing houseguests would see when they walked into my apartment. Yikes, right? So I tried hanging a framed print over it, but nothing in my home collection worked in that weird spot. I also tried covering it with contact paper, but it made my breaker box even more apparent. During a shopping trip to my local IKEA, inspiration struck. Here's how I
this ikea hack hides an ugly electrical panel
My electrical panel may be smaller than yours, but in my tiny apartment it stuck out like a freaking sore thumb.
The contact paper idea was a total misfire. See all the wrinkles ? Because of the rounded edges, I couldn't get the paper to lay flat. Also my husband thought the faux wood grain was super tacky.
If you ever been to IKEA or flipped through one of their catalogs, you know the Swedish retailer makes wall mounted cabinets in a bazillion different sizes. So I bought this one from the BRIMNES series to install over my electrical panel.
The IKEA cabinet was a little too deep for my purposes so I cut its depth in half. But here's the thing. Many IKEA items including my new cabinet have a Melamine coating, which is tricky to cut without damaging. You'll find tips for cutting the material without causing chipping or splintering in my original tutorial.

Removing an electrical panel's cover and also drilling around the area when an electrical panel is installed is not allowed in my building without permission from the board. Even then I must hire a licensed electrician to get the job done. I share how I got around those pesky rules in my original post using L brackets.
Ta-da! Behold my new electrical panel cabinet! I covered the glass door with window film (the self sticking stuff.)

• Ikea Cabinet $39.99
  • L brackets: $2.00
Deirdre Sullivan

• Marybeth Masker

I made a cover using material and hot glued the round magnets from shower curtain liners to the backside of doubled material.

• Zanne Goldwire

I don't have a question but a comment...my box is in my living room of all places. I covered it over with a picture which I screwed it slightly higher being that it was a rectangular shape to center to eye level. No one knows the box is there.

• Zanne Goldwire

Thanks... however I ve had a picture over my box for several years now...whenever I need to switch the breaker box I simply lift off the picture . This is a sheet rock wall where I screwed in the picture hanger, so there's no damage of interrupting the wiring. .

• Joan Stanley

Why didn't you just paint the cover white and copy the simple wallpaper pattern in black? I'm no artist but that would be simple.

• Lori

Since my panel was nearly at eye level, I just put a small hook above it and hung a light weight painting over it. Hides the box but leaves it accessible if needed.

• Colette Belanger

Any ideas for camouflaging a large grey outdoor electric meter box and thick black ugly cables that run up the middle of a white brick wall of my house that is part of the patio. I tried vines in pots - the patio floor is brick- but thet didn't survive winter . So ugly ??? The meter is read remotely.

• Lori

How about making a table that resembles a wall mounted one? The base for this one can be rounded and hollow to cover the box and cables using thin wood slats vertically for the base (attached to a wood half round at patio level that's flat on one side) and a larger half round for the tabletop. Just add a couple brackets to the flat side to attach it to the house so it won't tip or fall or blow away in a wind storm.
    Picture a round table with a column-type base sawed in half vertically......