Painted Mason Jar Lanterns

$2
1 Day

With Spring finally here I wanted to take advantage of the warmer weather and enjoy my screened porch longer in the evenings. To be able to do this, I needed to add some additional lighting to the room and I didn't want to use candles this year. Instead, I made some creative painted mason jars to use as lanterns around the room.

Paint the jars with Mod Podge and Acrylic Paint

To give the jars a tinted look, I mixed acrylic craft paints with Mod Podge and covered the outside of the jar. I did this in several different colors like green, blue, yellow, and red. Then I let each set of jars dry overnight.

Add the decorative details

After allowing the glue mixture to dry overnight, I free-hand painted on the jars different flowers,lady bugs, and even dog paws for a decorative touch. I just had fun with this and it didn't need to be perfect. The next time I may add quotes and sayings for more fun.

Add the string lights

Originally, for the lights, I found some inexpensive Solo cup mini string lights at The Dollar Tree. I just needed to remove the mini Solo cups and add batteries. But since then I have purchased from Amazon this fabulous LED string lights that are light-weight and much brighter.

Hang with heavy duty coiled wire

To actually make the jars into hanging lanterns, I found coiled wire in the floral department at Joanns. This wire was strong enough to wrap one strand around the ring of the jar and then a second strand looped over the top for the hanger.

Enjoy all summer

I'm sure we are going to get a lot of use out these lanterns this summer. For more details on this project, visit the blog link below. Thanks for visiting.

• Coiled Wire  (Joanns)
  • Mason Jars  (Walmart)
  • Mod Podge  (Walmart)

Donna Powell

• Pat21910290

I colored two jars with tacky glue and good coloring. After drying two days I started painting with acrylic paint and the tacky glue color started coming off. Should I have baked the jars awhile first?
    • Pat21910290

Thanks. I did bake them at 170 for 40 min and next day painted them with no problems. They turned out very nicely.
  • Lajean Faircloth

very cute & original !!
    how does one paint the glue on, paint brush? is it only done to outside of jars? as an animal lover, i absolutely love the paw prints & am looking forward to creating a few of these. will rain affect the glue if it gets wet? love so many of your ideas & your awesome creativity!!
  • Mona Kujawa Korsmoe

what's the glue mixture?