How to Upcycle an Old Door Into a Headboard

$75

I have a fun and easy DIY project that will add a ton of character to a bedroom space. Having a beautiful headboard helps polish & finish off the space. You can easily do this project for under $100. You can also customize it for any size bed. Let's get started!

Step 1: Find a Door. I headed to my local home building salvage store where they have a TON of doors to choose from. There are usually stores just like this one in most cities. They collect used home supplies and re-sell the for a discounted price. I picked a solid wood door with a few inset panels for detail, to do this project. 

Step 2: Measure and cut.

Measure the door and cut off the edges to get the desired width. Go to my blog post to get all the measurements for each bed size.

Headboards are usually sized with an additional 2-4" on each side of the mattress. Cut the door to size using a circular or jigsaw.

Step 3: Cut and apply your trim. Adding trim to the top of the headboard really gives it a nice finished appearance. I used a piece of crown molding and a 1x4 for the cap. Cut these to size and attach using glue and a nail gun. 

Step 4: Sand and prep for paint.

Sand the edges of the wood trim, scrape any peeling or cracking paint from the door and clear the whole thing (I use a 50/50 solution of denatured alcohol and water for cleaning).

Step 5: Paint!

I used my go-to paint, General Finishes Milk Paint. I used a custom mixed gray color (you can get my mix in my blog post). Apply with a nice brush and let dry.

Step 6: Add 2x4s to attach to the bed frame. Or just hang the door on the wall using a Hangman Hanging System. However, if you'd like to attach the headboard to your bed frame, add 2x4s to the door. I just attached using 2 screws. Use bolts and nuts and bolt this directly to the metal bed frame

Step 7: Step back and admire your work! You now have a beautiful, unique headboard for your room!

Watch the full tutorial!

Here's another example.

For more ideas and tips, follow me on Facebook @rootsandwingsfurniture or my YouTube channel RootsandWingsFurniture.

• Door
  • 2x4
  • Milk paint

30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Jenni Ingram

• Denahensley

how would u make a headboard out of a metal door
    • Jenni Ingram

I'm not sure, I think you could use the same methods with a metal glue or hardware.
  • Mezzy

Where is this place where you can get these second hand doors please

• JoAnn

Habitat for humanity has them. In our town we have home salvage yards that have great finds.

• Anita Moore

What did you do with the ends where you attached molding?

• Eileen

I removed an oak swinging door from my first house and I set it in corner and hand my wedding picture on it. I have a piece of that house with me as it was a 1913 build. I can’t bear to paint it as it’s so beautiful to me. Antiques and architecture would have one.

• Jacke

I made a headboard out of an old door also but didn't bother with the moulding. I also put the door knob on the up side and added a fancy old door knob complete with a matching fancy backplate. I love it!!